Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Pier F lounge access question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:55 am

Apologies because I know this has been asked and answered, but I was wondering if I would have Pier F access with this itinerary?

JAPAN AIRLINES 3 JFK New York Nov 10, 2017
10:55 AM NRT Tokyo Nov 11, 2017
03:25 PM Z N/A

JAPAN AIRLINES 735 NRT Tokyo Nov 11, 2017
06:10 PM HKG Hong Kong Nov 11, 2017
10:30 PM U N/A

CATHAY DRAGON 248 HKG Hong Kong Nov 12, 2017
08:20 AM REP Siem Reap Nov 12, 2017
10:05 AM U N/A

I'm not certain because I will be arriving from NRT to HKG in C, but the most significant leg of the trip is in F. Also, the flights are not on the same day (but these are connecting flights, not stopovers per se)
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by giblet
Apologies because I know this has been asked and answered, but I was wondering if I would have Pier F access with this itinerary?

I'm not certain because I will be arriving from NRT to HKG in C, but the most significant leg of the trip is in F. Also, the flights are not on the same day (but these are connecting flights, not stopovers per se)
No F lounge access in HKG, just in NRT (the city where you arrive in F and depart the same day). Based on the feedback here you aren’t missing a ton by only having access to Pier J. Given your itinerary I would leave HKG to find a room for the night and enjoy the J lounges for an early breakfast if a lounge experience is important for you.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
no access, unequivocally unless you are OneWorld Emerald. Exactly as the poster above describes and same goes for what he/she said about Pier J. It is fantastic and us CX regulars with F access (at least THIS one) uses Pier J half the time anyway, skipping F. Nothing to fret over.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:55 pm

You really think CX has changed their policy in the last 24 hours since I already answered your question in a different forum?

Insulting.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:46 pm

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure. I should probably go to a hotel in HKG anyway, in which case I won't be spending much/any time in the lounge, although I do think the F Pier is pretty swish.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure. I should probably go to a hotel in HKG anyway, in which case I won't be spending much/any time in the lounge, although I do think the F Pier is pretty swish.
Pier F is pretty nice, but I don't think ANY lounge is nice enough to make me sleep overnight in an airport, even if HKG is nice as airports go (none of the CX lounges are 24 hours). I think the pay lounges like Plaza Premium have rooms that wouldn't be too bad, but they cost almost as much as a hotel anyway...
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The question you should really ask yourself is what to do for the night of 11 November. You land at 10:30pm and depart at 08:20am the next day.
This will be a short night and you will probably wish to spend it in a hotel at or near airport. You will have spent the previous 24 hours on a plane/airport.
KA248 usually departs from gates 500+, so you need to factor time to get there by bus. Pier lounge is very far from there. Anyway, you will not have F lounge access (unless Emerald).
The best option is the Regal Airport Hotel connected to the terminal. Prices are not cheap but you will be able to get six hours of sleep. Going into the city makes little sense as you won't have time to enjoy it and cut your sleep time by an hour or two.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 5, 2017 at 2:15 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
You really think CX has changed their policy in the last 24 hours since I already answered your question in a different forum?

Insulting.
That seems a tad melodramatic...

Regards
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by QRC3288
haha yes, but it's really pointless IMO.

I'll avoid going on one of my long "Pier J is better than Pier F" rants, but long story short the a la cart food options in Pier F are really poor in comparison, and totally lack for abundance. Pier J has a front section with small bites, the big buffet area, a separate section of dim sum and other lite bites, the noodle bar area, plus the entire tea + sweets area. It's just *so much bigger*.

And practically speaking, it's not realistic to order what's in the Pier J lounge. Since that's all a la carte, you really don't know what's available. But I can promise you it's in abundance whatever it is.

Beyond food, I'll also add not once, twice but *on numerous occasions* I have been unable to find adequate seating for a party of 2 (!) in Pier F. It's just really small and cannot handle crowds at all, aka you notice crowds as soon as they arrive. Unscientifically, it seems to happen late nights when Europe departures leave from nearby, although just a few weeks ago I encountered it again in the morning. I have never once, ever had a problem finding seating for multiple people in Pier J.

This is all somewhat moot because both lounges are really very lovely. They are both *superb* lounges. But I'm just saying someone "missing out" on Pier F if the option is Pier J are really doing just fine. I know the OMAATT blog praises the dickens out of Pier F, deservedly so, but with the readership they get I think I understand why people come here feeling the "need" to visit Pier F....because Pier J hasn't been reviewed yet!

I'll just reiterate to the OP what I say on repeat: I have access to Pier F but voluntarily go to Pier J about half the time of my lounge visits down there.
I just saw this and I have to say EXACTLY! I don't need foot massage or some fancy stuff. Most of the time the food at Pier J is sufficient enough for me. Grab a CX Delight (yeah I know they are pre-prepared and they just need to pour them out from a box) and Yum Tum noodles and I can enjoy my time. It's just so much easier to find a decent seat in Pier J than in Pier F...

This is also one of the reasons why I wanna switch from AA EXP (OWE) to CX (GO as I have to credit some business trips to AA) given the difference is minor.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Nov 5, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I just saw this and I have to say EXACTLY! I don't need foot massage or some fancy stuff. Most of the time the food at Pier J is sufficient enough for me. Grab a CX Delight (yeah I know they are pre-prepared and they just need to pour them out from a box) and Yum Tum noodles and I can enjoy my time. It's just so much easier to find a decent seat in Pier J than in Pier F...

This is also one of the reasons why I wanna switch from AA EXP (OWE) to CX (GO as I have to credit some business trips to AA) given the difference is minor.
Ok I'll bite, why exactly do you need to switch from AA EXP to CX GO just because you prefer the business class lounge over the F lounge? What's wrong with being OWE and just choosing to go to the Biz Lounge if that is your preference?

Regards
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ok I'll bite, why exactly do you need to switch from AA EXP to CX GO just because you prefer the business class lounge over the F lounge? What's wrong with being OWE and just choosing to go to the Biz Lounge if that is your preference?

Regards
When FL is available at major AA hubs next year, they won't be accessible to AA EXP but will be to CX GO.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Insulting.
Agree.

Originally Posted by scubadu
That seems a tad melodramatic...

Regards
I dont blame Jamie feeling this way as I would be equally annoyed when someone asked around many times even though s/he was given the answers already. This happened to myself sometimes and from someone who also asked me in private then still asked around the SAME questions. So I can fully understand how Jamie feels, even if he is semi-joking. These days I dont offer / waste my time to answer question others once I have seen the pattern of the poster.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pier J over Pier F for us too

On our return HKG-LAX late August we did not even set foot at Pier F, went straightly to Pier J where the girls told us we should go to Pier F instead... To that we replied, we preferred Pier J much more...

Pier F sit down restaurant just does not cut it with their limited offerings AND very small size - 2 trips before the shear scallop appetizer literally was ONE Sea Scallop sliced into 3 thin slices to pretend there were 3 scallops!

The seating is not comfortable in Pier F even if it is not full. Pier J has much nicer sitting areas and much bigger dining offerings from food varieties to seating choices.

The only draw back for us is Pier is a 20 min walk one way from the usual Gate 2 or 3 for the LAX flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.