Search

Deterioration in IFE selection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Deterioration in IFE selection?

Royalties paid on movies cost a lot to airlines.
This is especially true for blockbusters.

In the past year or so I have the distinct impression that CX is spending less on movies. Despite the wide selection, I do not find the recent movies I would like to watch. And when you fly a lot in the same months that is ennoying.

Am I the only one to have this feeling?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by brunos

Nope!

CX long haul has been my 'catch-up on movies' venue, distinctly lesser so of late.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Couldn't agree more. Back from London last night and all I wanted to watch was 3 episodes of a 12 parter I started the week before. Had seen everything else that I wanted to watch (which is unusual). Definitely spending less on TV series (although there's more variety from around the world, perhaps that's cheaper) and fewer and fewer new movies that I've heard of (and I like movies so it's not because I'm a hermit!). An Ipad 2 and downloadable Netflix is the answer I've discovered.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

In the past year or so I have the distinct impression that CX is spending less on movies. Despite the wide selection, I do not find the recent movies I would like to watch. And when you fly a lot in the same months that is ennoying.

Funny you should mention that. It seems that they are keeping the same selection longer as well. There has been an episode of "grand designs revisited" that I have noticed has been on for three months now. I keep selecting it hoping it's a new episode and it's not...

There is now a new "studio cx" intro reel.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Could not agree more.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Marco Polo
In terms of the IFE selection, that is disappointing to hear. I don't usually browse through the content much, usually just enjoy the airshow and get work done on my laptop when not sleeping but I guess thats a sign of the times CX feel people bring enough of their own content not to care.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I broke this off into a separate topic as it seems to be something that's actually happening and a negative to the inflight experience.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
On my long haul flights to YYZ, I used to watch at least 3 movies. Now I barely watch 1. Selection definitely has an impact.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Definitely agree. 4 years ago I was able to watch at least 4 movies from NYC-HKG, but last week I could barely find more than 2. A lot of dated movies and I am not sure why they included a lot of Harry Potter there.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Agree, but at the same time the number of movies out there that I want to watch has also reduced...... So CX does have some problem, but not all...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Movies still look strong to me, when over this year the # of pages in 'Cantopop albums' have fallen from 6 to 2...

I was really pi$$ed when they took away 創世紀 as for that period all I did was to bingewatch it and that made 16 hour flights fly by fast

I haven't flown 35G yet but is there a wider variety on the new IFE system?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Look you guys who fly CX all the time are lucky. Just you wait and try HighLife entertainment on BA. The movie selection is okay but the music selection is plainly pathetic.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Movies still look strong to me, when over this year the # of pages in 'Cantopop albums' have fallen from 6 to 2...

I was really pi$$ed when they took away 創世紀 as for that period all I did was to bingewatch it and that made 16 hour flights fly by fast

I haven't flown 35G yet but is there a wider variety on the new IFE system?
Just did a 35G and 77W on the same day - content, at least for movies, is exactly the same, just nicer UI on 35G. BTW I am not a huge fan of the remote control on 35G. Also on 35G you could no longer sort movies by "Western Classics" etc etc (or maybe I did not find the way).

Originally Posted by cysyuen
Look you guys who fly CX all the time are lucky. Just you wait and try HighLife entertainment on BA. The movie selection is okay but the music selection is plainly pathetic.
CX music selection is nowhere better...AA on the other hand, has an awful UI on its IFE but way better range of movie selections.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:12 pm

Deleted.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
deteriorated +1. I think the TV section offers more interesting selections recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.