Wiki Posts
Search

KA F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX
KA F

Recently flew PVG-HKG F and noticed the cabin to be relatively empty compared to the J cabin (flight sold as F).

Does this occur often on such a heavy route and does this mean J->F awards are plentiful?

Cheers!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
J normally is more crowded that F...I think thats pretty much true for all carriers.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
J normally is more crowded that F...I think thats pretty much true for all carriers.
True, but it was 2/8 in F whereas J was pretty much fully loaded. Given the amount of DM's/OWE's on this route, aren't upgrades normal from J->F for elites or am I overestimating this?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Upgrades only happen when the lower class is over-booked (i.e. goes out full), not "pretty much fully loaded".
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Perhaps the route is not long and J is acceptable to many. How was the services/meal/etc on regional F by the way?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rli987123
True, but it was 2/8 in F whereas J was pretty much fully loaded. Given the amount of DM's/OWE's on this route, aren't upgrades normal from J->F for elites or am I overestimating this?
Unlike American carriers, CX doesn't just upgrade because seats in a higher cabin are available. In general, CX tries to protect revenue, so you either buy F (cash or award), or you travel in the cabin you originally booked. In the event of overbooking, upgrades do occur, with CX elites at the top of the pecking order.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLGO
Perhaps the route is not long and J is acceptable to many. How was the services/meal/etc on regional F by the way?
Service was quite good (light load) and food was decent, will be posting my first TR regarding KA F hopefully soon (busy with university!)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rli987123
Service was quite good (light load) and food was decent, will be posting my first TR regarding KA F hopefully soon (busy with university!)
Good to know about your pleasant experience. Look forward to your report! And good luck with your school work
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's been a surprising dearth of trip reports or even commentary about KA's F class in recent years, so looking forward as well.

And yes, F awards/upgrades (with miles) are relatively easy to come by on HKG-PEK/PVG, IME.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
KA F is lovely. Some of this is these flights are "rough"...1.) regional J hard product sucks on CX/KA, 2.) PEK/PVG are notoriously delayed more often than they're on time, particularly PVG, and 3.) J class cabins are frequently totally full.

Versus F is rarely full, KA FAs are generally excellent IMO, and it's a lot better to be stuck in 2A for a 1.5 hour ground delay than those god awful regional seats.

I don't recommend this at all for an F class "experiencer" type, but if you're a business professional it's as good as it gets regionally.

I don't *think* CX's strategy with their awful regional seat is to encourage me to buy KA F, but admittedly it has done that on a number of occasions in the last year.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
KA F is lovely. Some of this is these flights are "rough"...1.) regional J hard product sucks on CX/KA, 2.) PEK/PVG are notoriously delayed more often than they're on time, particularly PVG, and 3.) J class cabins are frequently totally full.

Versus F is rarely full, KA FAs are generally excellent IMO, and it's a lot better to be stuck in 2A for a 1.5 hour ground delay than those god awful regional seats.

I don't recommend this at all for an F class "experiencer" type, but if you're a business professional it's as good as it gets regionally.

I don't *think* CX's strategy with their awful regional seat is to encourage me to buy KA F, but admittedly it has done that on a number of occasions in the last year.
Yes, the infamous delays! It was quite good on-board even with the 2 hour-ish pushback delay. Had a good chat with a few of the FAs in F. Interesting to see so many DM's on one flight (although from what I read on FT its quite common on PVG/PEK flights)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
There's been a surprising dearth of trip reports or even commentary about KA's F class in recent years, so looking forward as well.

And yes, F awards/upgrades (with miles) are relatively easy to come by on HKG-PEK/PVG, IME.
Just think its not that worth considering the 2-3 hour flight time. I guess the benefit of KA F vs. J would be on-board if you have a significant delay.

Will get on the TR post exams!!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Here's my KA F trip report from a few years ago. I remember being quite impressed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post24580352
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Here's my KA F trip report from a few years ago. I remember being quite impressed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post24580352
Good read! Thanks for linking mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.