Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

40000 Asia miles planning for HKG to Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

As my miles are going to expire at the end of this month, I am just trying to use it up, and will be my first time trying CX First class.

40000 Aisa miles can get up to 2500 miles region, so I decided to take First class CX HKG-NRT and connect one more flight in Japan so I can use both lounges in HKG and NRT. Make sense? Good redemption?

What connection flight would you suggest? (I will take a train back to Tokyo).
Can I use JAL or AA for connection, and how many connections can I make within the 40000 Asia miles?
Currently I am thinking of Osaka, unless there is a better option within that I can enjoy!

And how do I make this kind of booking? Phone in?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by milkbottlec; Aug 15, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
1. Are you taking a 40,000 Asia Miles one-way F redemption?
2. You can use AA for connection if there is AA flying the routes you are on.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
you really only have choice of.NRT to CTS or Osaka or Nagoya... and domestic side of Narita is nothing. i wouldnt waste my time for add on.connection
milkbottlec likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Has CX resumed F flights to NRT? I always thought there is a daily F flight to HND only?
​​​​​​
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Has CX resumed F flights to NRT? I always thought there is a daily F flight to HND only?
​​​​​​
CX520/1 gets 77H in the winter schedule.
milkbottlec likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd
you really only have choice of.NRT to CTS or Osaka or Nagoya... and domestic side of Narita is nothing. i wouldnt waste my time for add on.connection
I have quite plenty of time (a few days before my girl friend arrives), so time is doable for me.

And yea, if I get a transfer, does it mean I can try out a few lounges in NRT? What is the time limit in NRT? What is the limitation when choosing a connection flight that is not CX but oneworld (JAL/AA/etc)? What is the best value one to try? I'm doing First for CX, so I guess the connection flight will be business?

Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)
You can't use JAL on a one-way Asia Miles redemption.

You can make one stopover or transit.

If you want to use lounges in both Japan and HKG, you can to fly Tokyo-Hkg-xxx or xxx-Hkg-Tokyo within 2500 miles in distance, about 650 miles from HKG
Example such as
Taiwan: Kaohsiung, Taichung, Taipei
China: Sanya, Haikou, Guangzhou, Wuhan etc
Vietnam: Hanoi

If you fly HKG-Tokyo, there's no onward connection you can make from Tokyo.
No JAL (because no JAL on Asia Miles one-way), and
No destination within the 2500 miles distance (HKG to Tokyo is already 18xx miles)
milkbottlec likes this.

Last edited by mleung89; Aug 15, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cysyuen
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by shd9
CX520/1 gets 77H in the winter schedule.
Yes, trying to take this on end of Nov or early Dec. (But seems early Dec all gone)

Originally Posted by mleung89
You can't use JAL on a one-way Asia Miles redemption.

You can make one stopover or transit.

If you want to use lounges in both Japan and HKG, you can to fly Tokyo-Hkg-xxx or xxx-Hkg-Tokyo within 2500 miles in distance, about 650 miles from HKG
Example such as
Taiwan: Kaohsiung, Taichung, Taipei
China: Sanya, Haikou, Guangzhou, Wuhan etc
Vietnam: Hanoi

If you fly HKG-Tokyo, there's no onward connection you can make from Tokyo.
No JAL (because no JAL on Asia Miles one-way), and
No destination within the 2500 miles distance (HKG to Tokyo is already 18xx miles)
Thanks for the help! First time trying to redeem First class, so wanted to experience the most out of it.
As I currently have only 55k Asia miles (44k going to expire this month), I guess I can only do HKG-NRT First class with CX. Not many other choices that is that good right?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Do you have status on MPC? If not don't get your hopes up as it is unlikely that you will have award space to Japan from HKG in Nov and Dec given its popularity.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by milkbottlec
Yes, trying to take this on end of Nov or early Dec. (But seems early Dec all gone)

Thanks for the help! First time trying to redeem First class, so wanted to experience the most out of it.
As I currently have only 55k Asia miles (44k going to expire this month), I guess I can only do HKG-NRT First class with CX. Not many other choices that is that good right?
Just a few pointers... the nice JAL First Class lounge is in the International section of NRT T2. So if you want to experience that lounge, you must be connecting to an international oneworld first class flight. Any domestic connections would not likely get you into that lounge.

In this case, I didn't really see any viable options connecting beyond NRT, as there is no JAL First Class destination within the 700 mi radius.

What I think could be viable if you really want to use First Class lounges both in NRT and HKG is that you redeem from NRT-HKG and buy a separate (probably Y) ticket from HKG-MNL/BKK/CAN/PVG. In this case, you (should) be treated as pax connecting from long haul flight(NRT-HKG in the winter is longer than 5 hours) to short haul flight, and since the long haul NRT-HKG is in F, you should be granted into the F lounges in HKG. But that sounds like a lot of hassle to me.
milkbottlec likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Coming back on UO/GK/MM?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Outgoing
Hong Kong (HKG) To Tokyo (TYO): Thu 30 Nov
CX 520
Cathay Pacific HKG
10:15 NRT
15:15 0 4:00 77W

Total : Asia Miles 40,000 + HKD 325.00
for 1 adult

Just checked on asia miles website, end of Nov still available for NRT. 3/12 still 1 space left for HND. I think going to NRT timing is better as it leaves HKG after 10 am, and arrival lounge should be better in NRT?

Which one would you vote nicer? CX HKG lounge or JAL NRT lounge? And the service, drinks, amenity kit. I still have plenty of Avios, so can do another next time. Just trying to match my gf family trip and have a few days myself. (And use up the asia miles in this case)

True, that is a lot of hassle, and paying extra for some places I don't want to go.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by milkbottlec
Outgoing
Hong Kong (HKG) To Tokyo (TYO): Thu 30 Nov
CX 520
Cathay Pacific HKG
10:15 NRT
15:15 0 4:00 77W

Total : Asia Miles 40,000 + HKD 325.00
for 1 adult

Just checked on asia miles website, end of Nov still available for NRT. 3/12 still 1 space left for HND. I think going to NRT timing is better as it leaves HKG after 10 am, and arrival lounge should be better in NRT?

Which one would you vote nicer? CX HKG lounge or JAL NRT lounge? And the service, drinks, amenity kit. I still have plenty of Avios, so can do another next time. Just trying to match my gf family trip and have a few days myself. (And use up the asia miles in this case)

True, that is a lot of hassle, and paying extra for some places I don't want to go.

548 will have a breakfast service:
http://flight-report.com/en/report/1..._HKG_Tokyo_HND

520 will have a lunch:
http://pointsfromthepacific.boarding...-tokyo-narita/

JAL does not operate arrivals lounges in NRT or HND. Regional F flights on CX do not give out PJs or amenity kits.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
redeem NRT-HKG-XMN/MNL

then you can use the lounge at NRT and HKG
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Coming back on UO/GK/MM?
Haven't plan return journey yet. Actually I'm in UK, but HK is my home town. So...either going back to HK first, or directly get back to UK. Depending on my schedule.

Enough Avios for long haul. Just need to sort out my expiring asia miles first.
Have cheap tickets on those? How are they actually? Haven't try them at all.

Originally Posted by kaka
redeem NRT-HKG-XMN/MNL

then you can use the lounge at NRT and HKG
Do I get to access JAL First lounge or just the CX First lounge in NRT by flying this way? I suppose in HKG I can access any? (Can I do a stop in HKG for few days before taking the connection flight, and do I get access to First lounge again when flying? Thanks.
(deciding which way should I fly)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.