Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific 2017 first half results - HK$2.05b loss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific 2017 first half results - HK$2.05b loss

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by christep
The obvious answer is "the person who accepted Catahy's bet". One aspect of the fuel hedging which has never come out is who exactly won the bet that Cathay lost? It was a zero-sum bet, so every billion lost by Cathay was a billion made by someone else.
The banks! Probably a few banks, including commercial banks, given the size of their hedge. Commodities used to be the most profitable division for GS!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Exactly..

It's a shell game.
yes
this is HKG
CX is making tonnes of money- and can make more- its HKG....
the model is not wrong, CX should not become an LCC

those who bet on the fuel are wrong.

if CX had not bet on the fuel... my they would have destroyed HX by now....

the only people who say CX's model is wrong are competitors - well of course the competition is going to say the opposite of what is needed especially when CX is thrashing them - QF....
KrazyTrain18 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Surprisingly, for china-NA transfer market, CX have done quite a good job. Even the NA-China direct flight supply have increase unprecedently, CX can still keep the market.

The below link show that the number of people transfer via HK in the US-China market has not changed while KE and NH drop significantly.

Below link is in Chinese.

http://news.carnoc.com/list/414/414227.html
That's an interesting article.

The pie charts that show passengers taking connecting flights outside of Mainland China, revealed 20% connecting in 2014 dropped to 14% in 2016. This is my point - people prefer to take direct flights from Mainland now. But I do agree with you on that CX did a job good in keeping the same number of passengers (about 300k) from 2014 to 2016, despite this trend.

The CN-NA via HKG route PEY is still very competitive, IMO. The level of service at CX PEY is equal to or better than domestic First with AA, so I could not complain at all.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:43 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper

The CN-NA via HKG route PEY is still very competitive, IMO. The level of service at CX PEY is equal to or better than domestic First with AA, so I could not complain at all.
Keeping 300K is not a milestone when the amount of people going from NA to East Asia has grown exponentially, and also Cathay are now filling up the back of the plane with LCC prices versus mid-level prices that they were able to get before.

So, it depends how you interpret those numbers and see the numbers behind the numbers. Cathay is struggling.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-announcement

CX IT woes extends to its financial reporting...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Finally http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...0170816199.pdf

HK$2 billion loss...(way worse than 1.2....)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:35 am

1H17 net loss 2.05bn
fuel hedging loss 3.24bn
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by OWHKG2016
1H17 net loss 2.05bn
fuel hedging loss 3.24bn
Can't find the 3.2B losses from fuel hedging on the new articles.

**found it on the Press Release by CX**

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Aug 16, 2017 at 3:01 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:35 am
Original Poster

1H17 net loss 2.05bn
fuel hedging loss 3.24bn
(From 2016 Annual Report)

The cash flow hedge reserve of the Group is expected to be charged to operating profit or transferred to relevant assets
as noted below when the hedged transactions affect profit or loss or the relevant assets are recognised.
Total
HK$M
2017 (3,980)
2018 (2,899)
2019 (216)
2020 231
2021 238
Beyond 2021 771
Total (5,855)

So they've used up 81% of their annual expected hedging loss in 2017 1H...?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by 380Flyer

Also suggesting that Cathay Dragon be converted to an LCC is ludicrous as KA provides crucial feeder and cargo capabilities to the group. More insane thought by some analysts is how CX should merge with Air China - I think the cross shareholding structure is fine as it stands today.
I agreee. What I suspect is that Cathay Dragon is probably the most profitable part of the airline (do they disclose KA results separately?) given the monopoly they have on many regional routes, and lower operating cost base. KA is actually in a sweet spot in my opinion..

Originally Posted by fakecd
On a flip side if they can get fresh blood and make significant overhaul (think QF/JAL/MH even) it could be a great turnaround story, as underlying business may be sound, for now.
On a tangent this is not reported because MH is private.. but they too decided to enter into some speculative hedges (wonder why!).. they took a view that oil will go above US$70... stupid decision and I flagged it previously...

Malaysia Airlines 'Aggressively Hedging' on Forecast Oil Will Rise to $70 (Bloomberg)

Originally Posted by christep
The obvious answer is "the person who accepted Cathay's bet". One aspect of the fuel hedging which has never come out is who exactly won the bet that Cathay lost? It was a zero-sum bet, so every billion lost by Cathay was a billion made by someone else.
If I had to guess, it was probably ultimately benefited a producer... hard to see a bank at that time take on an aggressive short exposure (ok maybe if you were Zach Schreiber http://www.businessinsider.com/short...erence-2014-11)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
1H17 net loss 2.05bn
fuel hedging loss 3.24bn
On the press release, it looks like the one-time items were 606M so it means an operating profit of 584M- not too shabby, actually.

Rumors of CX's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:25 pm

surprisingly, the market is quite positive for this result.

CX stock price gain 2.5% in the morning.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
Although i take some comfort in the fact that CX would have made a healthy operating profit had it not been for the big loss from fuel hedging, I worry what the actual loss will mean for the future of the company. Cost cutting will hurt the image, drive away premium passengers, and it risks becoming "just another airline" that no longer wins awards. i wonder if the management will recognize that their premium model is not flawed, and simply try to stay the course to work its way out of the fuel losses?

Also they should publicly name and shame the idjut who signed them up for those irreversible fuel contracts! That guy should not simply be rotated out to another cush job in swire group. He should be strung up and never work again!

CX passengers (and flight crew, pilots, etc) are all suffering because of him!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by xp2000
Also they should publicly name and shame the idjut who signed them up for those irreversible fuel contracts! That guy should not simply be rotated out to another cush job in swire group. He should be strung up and never work again!
This sort of colonial-era management style is the biggest problem with CX, in my opinion.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by xp2000
Although i take some comfort in the fact that CX would have made a healthy operating profit had it not been for the big loss from fuel hedging, I worry what the actual loss will mean for the future of the company. Cost cutting will hurt the image, drive away premium passengers, and it risks becoming "just another airline" that no longer wins awards. i wonder if the management will recognize that their premium model is not flawed, and simply try to stay the course to work its way out of the fuel losses?

CX passengers (and flight crew, pilots, etc) are all suffering because of him!
DO you think those irreversible fuel contracts can be signed without the approval of Board of Director?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.