Wiki Posts
Search

Short-check just one bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Short-check just one bag?

I've got an ~18 hour overnight CX-CX connection in HKG coming up. I'll be traveling with two checked bags, though I need to retrieve one in HKG.

Is it possible to have one bag tagged only to HKG, and the other all the way to my final destination?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
IIRC no. Tried this in PVG and MNL and was told no. That was 2014 and 2016.

I shortchecked both bags to HKG, left it in the airport left baggage and went to town
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Its technically possible but often outsourced staff is lazy. I have certainly done it before a few years ago.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
If you're denied, it's not a big deal.

1) Short check both to HKG.
2) collect both at luggage carousel (so far no time lost)
3) go to either a) The Arrival (if you have access: J, F, OWE, CX DM or CX GO) in between terminals 1 and 2, or b) the paid luggage lockers, also in between terminals 1 and 2. Don't let this sound complicated...."in between terminals 1 and 2" basically means below the Airport Express and very close to the cars, taxi, busses, etc. If you must do this max you're losing is 5-10 minutes.
4) return to HKG, collect your bags at the lockers or The Arrival (5 mins max)
5) go back to check in.

Point being, if not allowed it's nothing to lose sleep over. HKG is super convenient for things like this.

Btw iirc the luggage lockers are super cheap. I think I've left stuff there for 24 hours or so for less than $10 USD.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Unless going to the US, couldn't the OP also just check the bag that's supposed to travel further, upon arrival from the inbound?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Unless going to the US, couldn't the OP also just check the bag that's supposed to travel further, upon arrival from the inbound?
Oh yea. Also a good, probably even better idea.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
I was reading a couple of older threads that seem to suggest CX won't accept bags the night before at HKIA. Is this true? I'm not flying to the US
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I was reading a couple of older threads that seem to suggest CX won't accept bags the night before at HKIA. Is this true? I'm not flying to the US
this is NOT TRUE
cx takes bags the "operating day" before(so for 0000-0200 dept flights its 2 calendar days before, after 0530)

USA flights is 24 hrs before departure. (And maybe some other places too)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the replies!

Originally Posted by kaka
this is NOT TRUE
cx takes bags the "operating day" before(so for 0000-0200 dept flights its 2 calendar days before, after 0530)

USA flights is 24 hrs before departure. (And maybe some other places too)
Thanks for clarifying ^

I was just a bit confused by this thread from 2012, but good to know that it's doable
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...vance-hkg.html
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Attempted to do this without reading this thread earlier this week.

I had a 22-hour layover at HKG flying LAX-HKG-SUB in J. I had two bags, one I wished to short check to HKG and the other to SUB. The check-in agent refused which was no issue so I short-checked both to HKG.

The next morning I ran into issues when trying to check in for my HKG-SUB flight via the airport express check-in at Kowloon. One bag was 27 KG and the other bag was 30 KG, for a total of 57KG. The agent claimed the North America CX baggage limit didn't apply since I short-checked my luggage to Hong Kong. I ended up taking both bags to the airport where I had no issue there checking both bags to SUB.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by gpeso8
Attempted to do this without reading this thread earlier this week.

I had a 22-hour layover at HKG flying LAX-HKG-SUB in J. I had two bags, one I wished to short check to HKG and the other to SUB. The check-in agent refused which was no issue so I short-checked both to HKG.

The next morning I ran into issues when trying to check in for my HKG-SUB flight via the airport express check-in at Kowloon. One bag was 27 KG and the other bag was 30 KG, for a total of 57KG. The agent claimed the North America CX baggage limit didn't apply since I short-checked my luggage to Hong Kong. I ended up taking both bags to the airport where I had no issue there checking both bags to SUB.
Did you take your luggage to the City? I don't know what time you landed in HKG, but it would be much easier checking your luggage immediately after you picked up in HKG. I flew PEK-HKG-SFO with 18-hour layover in HKG just two days after. I short checked three pieces to HKG, and immediately checked in two after picking up from the carousel (and packed more items into my luggage before re-checking as my backpack was overflowing ).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

As a follow up, I was able to check-in one of my bags the night before (~T-16hrs), no questions asked ^
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Am I the only one thinking just check both bags through and take a small piece of hand luggage with your change of clothes into the city? Any hotel you stay at will give you toiletries (including Cathay if you are biz or first). You need almost nothing for 24 hours in Hong Kong.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Am I the only one thinking just check both bags through and take a small piece of hand luggage with your change of clothes into the city? Any hotel you stay at will give you toiletries (including Cathay if you are biz or first). You need almost nothing for 24 hours in Hong Kong.
You are not the only one. I would do that if I did not need to drop off one bag in Hong Kong.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Sure, that's what I typically do, but in this instance I had a rather awkwardly large item I needed to drop off for a friend in Hong Kong, otherwise I would have checked both bags all the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.