Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Are CX lounges the PP lounges of OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are CX lounges the PP lounges of OneWorld?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Fair point, it keeps it within the circle of OW airlines then. Good point.

However, it still seems a little bizarre to me....if that's the case, there really should just be one FF program in the alliance. The differing rules / requirements / benefits for each were clearly created in a world where the intention was for program members to be overwhelming fliers on their "home" airline. And that foundation has shattered in the last decade, but the programs havent really. Sure they've changed requirements and earn rates and whatnot but they haven't changed their foundation, and I think that's just kinda prehistoric given the global world we live in. The foundation of an airline owning a FF program is to drive revenue to itself by encouraging fliers to go out of their way to stay loyal, and thus spend more $$$ on the home airline. You raise an excellent point about the alliance "circle". My follow up question to that is....then why seriously doesn't CX just cancel their own program but stay in OW? EVERY lounge entry, at that point, would be ancillary revenue!
The programs all have earn rates that are favourable to the "home" carrier just to drive "loyalty" and quite frankly I think they still do. The alliance may drive some loyalty since not every airline can go everywhere but the .... earn rates on some partner fares means that people are still incentivized to stay with the carrier they fly the most or want the most out of.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by percysmith
Still a problem 8 years on http://daisy-lancashire.blogspot.com...07312275443676?

Don't they serve a meal on the flight? Sorry I never took the shuttle (I remember being allowed to fly to PEK on Sunday arvo upteen years ago)
maybe most of them are flying economy (although food in business class isn't any better anyway)....i suppose this is one of the things they are trying to address as they shift club points towards J and F fliers.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Too much travel

Agreed. I struggle to understand why the lowest FF tier would get lounge access.
If anything, MPC Silver is probably where the incremental revenue to CX is. In HK there are a large group of people who are blindly loyal to CX. When the changes came in, I've spoken to quite a few who have said...oh it's okay, I'm still going to get Silver and I'll still be able to get lounge access.

They only get lounge access when flying CX so it pushes these people to be more loyal to CX.

For these Silver members, they need to take 4.3 return premium economy trips between HKG-SYD to just get Silver status.

For the same 4.3 trips in the BA program, they would have easily made oneworld Sapphire which gives lounge access on ALL oneworld flights, not just CX (assuming they can also take 4 BA sectors). In the QF program they would be 70% of the way to earning Sapphire, and 85% to renewing (plus 4 QF sectors required).

So this might make it easier to understand why the lowest tier gets lounge access.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
If anything, MPC Silver is probably where the incremental revenue to CX is. In HK there are a large group of people who are blindly loyal to CX. When the changes came in, I've spoken to quite a few who have said...oh it's okay, I'm still going to get Silver and I'll still be able to get lounge access.

They only get lounge access when flying CX so it pushes these people to be more loyal to CX.

For these Silver members, they need to take 4.3 return premium economy trips between HKG-SYD to just get Silver status.

For the same 4.3 trips in the BA program, they would have easily made oneworld Sapphire which gives lounge access on ALL oneworld flights, not just CX (assuming they can also take 4 BA sectors). In the QF program they would be 70% of the way to earning Sapphire, and 85% to renewing (plus 4 QF sectors required).

So this might make it easier to understand why the lowest tier gets lounge access.
and for those they can only take the member themselves. With ows u can bring a guest. Now every time i fly w friends i can still take 1-2 guests (+1 also ows)
surely cx doesnt want that
Old May 30, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samuelo
...providing a decent experience to its own frequent flyers as far as its lounges are concerned.
It's obvious OP never set foot in an Admirals Club.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by seawolf
It's obvious OP never set foot in an Admirals Club.
The newly renovated FL Lounge at JFK is really very nice (far superior to the dark, dingy, dank hole that masquerades as BA First Lounge in T7), and will be even better once they get the WiFI to work!

Quoting SXC 'If anything, MPC Silver is probably where the incremental revenue to CX is. So this might make it easier to understand why the lowest tier gets lounge access.'
Regarding Silvers though, my understanding is the elites want the plebs out. Perhaps MPC has a master plan to get as many J Class flyers up to DM and let them use the First Lounges, get rid of the PEY/Y DMs so they become Golds so they will now go to the Business Class lounges along with the Silvers and the non-regular business class flyer? Cunning!

It would then match lounge access to status earning (I know that is what it is supposed to do now, but this could prove to be more efficient discrimination).

Last edited by Nicc HK; May 30, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old May 30, 2017, 7:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It's not what the elites want that matters. It's what serves CX's bottom line that counts. I'm not convinced that the MPC changes are benefiting CX, but I'm certain that it's not just what diamonds want that drive these decisions.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc

That's a good point - I had not considered that.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Simple, convert G16 to a Silver lounge like Qatar had in Doha Airport.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by chongcao
Simple, convert G16 to a Silver lounge like Qatar had in Doha Airport.
can already feel the PR Ads.and emails sayimg how they are "enhancing the experience with exclusive lounge purpose built"
Old May 31, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comparing CX lounges to Priority Pass (or Plaza Premium?)? I'd just say that there was a 20+ person lineup to get into the Plaza Premium lounge at HKG on a recent Saturday afternoon. The nearby Wing was moderately busy - couch seating a little tight but plenty of table seating in the back.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Well in other words people always go to CX lounges because they associate it with quality? Same thing goes to QF lounges too in HKG and SIN, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.