Search

CX - Air NZ - Baggage checkthrough?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
CX - Air NZ - Baggage checkthrough?

HI

I will be travelling on CX J from Hong Kong to Auckland and then onwards from Auckland to Queenstown. (Separate tickets).

My question is, when I checking at Hong Kong, will Cathay be able to checkthrough my bags direct to Queenstown or will i have to pick my bags up and checkin again at Auckland?

I know Air NZ are not part of OW, but see they have a "Strategic Partnership" with Cathay - hoping this means they will sort the bags!

thanks in advance
Old May 3, 2017, 7:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I might be wrong but I think you need to clear customs at your first point of entry to NZ so regardless you'll need to pick up your bags and check in again.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just been (tho my routing was hkg-Syd-akl-zqn). To akl only.

If you're *g, you can re-check luggage at akl intl before walking to akl dom terminal (I was surprised it was separate terminal)

And on the way back, to akl only.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

OK Thanks for the info

When i have done a similar trip in Vancouver I have been able to collect the bags from the reclaim hall, then once I had cleared customs, there was a baggage chute that I could drop my bags on prior to leaving the arrivals hall and onto the Domestic terminal - was hoping something similar in AKL avoiding having to lug my bags from one terminal to another. thanks again.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Percysmith - Thanks for the info.

Is the checkin desk airside at the AKL International terminal or outside the arrivals hall?
Old May 3, 2017, 7:43 am

Outside arrivals

But not open to all pax
Old May 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by pedro_uk
OK Thanks for the info

When i have done a similar trip in Vancouver I have been able to collect the bags from the reclaim hall, then once I had cleared customs, there was a baggage chute that I could drop my bags on prior to leaving the arrivals hall and onto the Domestic terminal - was hoping something similar in AKL avoiding having to lug my bags from one terminal to another. thanks again.
Same w QF in SYD. But the one in AKL isnt all access
Attached Images  
Old May 3, 2017, 7:48 am

Oh. There's a non-elite one. But we missed it and pushed our bags over to domestic https://www.airnewzealand.com.hk/connecting-at-auckland*

*bit dubious about that website. We tried checking thru to Syd and Hkg but CHC check in won't oblige, so we had to push our luggage back the other way - not difficult, worse if it rains.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Its a bit of a mixed trip
F - LHR to HKG
J - HKG to AKL then
Economy AKL to Queenstown

so will have to use the "Non-Elite" checkin

cheers for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by pedro_uk
Its a bit of a mixed trip
F - LHR to HKG
J - HKG to AKL then
Economy AKL to Queenstown

so will have to use the "Non-Elite" checkin

cheers for pointing me in the right direction.
Just curious.

Did you have to take out all baggage for checking in domestic connecting flight upon arrival on AKL?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Yes you will need to clear immigration, collect your bags and proceed to the domestic terminal upon arrival in AKL or the bag drop in international check in area if you have atleast >1 hour for your domestic flight to ZQN.
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by gambda; Dec 5, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by gambda
Yes you will need to clear immigration, collect your bags and proceed to the domestic terminal upon arrival in AKL or the bag drop in international check in area if you have atleast >1 hour for your domestic flight to ZQN.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.