Search

Point of being MPC GO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Exp
Point of being MPC GO

Hi guys,

I was recently upgraded to GO but looking at the benefits I'm entitled to, it really isn't much of a difference from SL. I mean I get to take a guest to the lounge, use other OW carrier's J lounge and can carry a bit more luggage, but that's about it.

Going from GR to SL is quite significant with the lounge access, and GO to DM for obvious reasons. But GO just seems a bit underwhelming for what it takes to get there.

What do you guys think?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you only ever fly CX, sure I can understand your feeling. But it does make a difference if you're flying other oneworld airlines because CX Silver gets you almost nothing when not flying CX.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Like sxc says, you really will realize the benefits of GO if you fly other OW carriers. OW Sapphire is something. OW Ruby is effectively nothing.

Also, some of the best benefits are unlikely to be used by everyone. But if you rely on them they're great. The guaranteed Y class seat is very good even though it's watered down from before. For example...if you need a seat during a holiday, like Easter, May holiday, Xmas etc. It can be very useful for even short-hop vacations that you forgot to book until the last minute. Of course, you'll have to pay for it now due to full Y class, but if you're not too price sensitive it can really be worth its weight in gold. The difference is between being able to go somewhere and not.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Also easier to redeem flights and better chances of up-ups.

Upon irrops (CX or other OW), GO can get priority over SL for rebooking.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Like sxc says, you really will realize the benefits of GO if you fly other OW carriers. OW Sapphire is something. OW Ruby is effectively nothing.

Also, some of the best benefits are unlikely to be used by everyone. But if you rely on them they're great. The guaranteed Y class seat is very good even though it's watered down from before. For example...if you need a seat during a holiday, like Easter, May holiday, Xmas etc. It can be very useful for even short-hop vacations that you forgot to book until the last minute. Of course, you'll have to pay for it now due to full Y class, but if you're not too price sensitive it can really be worth its weight in gold. The difference is between being able to go somewhere and not.
Wasnt there a post about guaranteed Y class seats is only available if the plane is not fully booked?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jkuok
Wasnt there a post about guaranteed Y class seats is only available if the plane is not fully booked?
The guaranteed Y class seats for MPC GO is available up to 72 hours before the flight, no matter is it sold out or not.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Well if you fly into LHR with BA then you have fast track security and immigration if NON-EU.

You also have free seat selection from time of booking which worths a bit.

If you fly CX then you have access to arrivals lounge in HK. As a BA OWE I can't.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:18 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nagisayaka
The guaranteed Y class seats for MPC GO is available up to 72 hours before the flight, no matter is it sold out or not.
Not true. CX can suspend this benefit for operational reason.

At times, this benefit may be suspended without prior notice for operational reasons. If that happens, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will endeavour to offer an alternative solution.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...guarantee.html
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by cysyuen
If you fly CX then you have access to arrivals lounge in HK. As a BA OWE I can't.
You can.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
You can.
BA OWE flying CX -> OK
BA OWE flying BA -> Not ok
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
BA OWE flying CX -> OK
BA OWE flying BA -> Not ok
But they still get access on Arrival at LHR, although on CX, the CX DM/GO get access on both ends, but with BA only when flying to LHR.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
But they still get access on Arrival at LHR, although on CX, the CX DM/GO get access on both ends, but with BA only when flying to LHR.
Not GO anymore for LHR.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
What do you guys think?
1. Although not materialized, it seems that there are talks further devaluing SL. CX's generosity towards SLs may come to an end.

2. While they may not be useful to you, many switched to other OW programs for better benefits.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Im GO and I agree above- the benefits show up when flying other OW partners.

1. When flying BA long haul J, BA allows me pre-select seats after booking, free of charge.
This is really helpful because BA has probably the worst seat map- 8 J seats per row!
This offer saves me about 200 Euros for return ticket.

2. When flying AY, IB, AB intra Europe Y, I would not only use the lounges, but also get one luggage free of charge. I'm happy worth these.

Comparing to SL, well, I got greeting onboard almost every time when flying CX/KA Y and Y+. However, I don't see it a big deal or " benefit"

Last edited by wyskevin; Apr 23, 2017 at 3:24 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by garykung
1. Although not materialized, it seems that there are talks further devaluing SL. CX's generosity towards SLs may come to an end.

2. While they may not be useful to you, many switched to other OW programs for better benefits.
Devaluing SL?! Given the generosity to SL members especially the lounge access, they are probably the most loyal folks (at least I am) as they get virtually no benefit even flying other OW airlines. CX should really think carefully about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.