Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How does the Boston to HK flight work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does the Boston to HK flight work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The new BA lounge in BOS is a huge improvement on the old, dingy, windowless one. It only opened a week or two ago but is a very pleasant place to spend a couple of hours, comparable to the BA lounges at LHR. I believe CX uses this lounge and you should be able to get in as OWE...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
One would think many if not most people on the BOS flight are living in Boston and not all staying in hotels.
Not sure about this. Sure many of the outbound flyers are from the Boston area, but don't forget roughly half the travellers on a typical plane are on their return leg to home base.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
The new BA lounge in BOS is a huge improvement on the old, dingy, windowless one. It only opened a week or two ago but is a very pleasant place to spend a couple of hours, comparable to the BA lounges at LHR. I believe CX uses this lounge and you should be able to get in as OWE...

Thanks for this. Do you know if it operates at that time of night?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Offshore171
If CX designates this as CX's lounge for your flight, then they will operate at that time as a BA or a CX lounge.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, my understanding is that CX takes over the lounge when BA would close it, and keeps it open until the flight leaves.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Confirmed. I was in there last night for CX811. The hot bar and drinks bar were closed but there was cold food out. Some teething troubles: one coffee machine broken, one Nespresso machine with no capsules so nowhere at all to get a coffee as even Starbucks outside the lounge area was closed. Had to have beer instead.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Oh and the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge is HK$200 per person just for a shower.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's been a while since I've flown this flight, and I can't remember. Is it dark outside for the entire flight?
Old May 7, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Asiamiles, Krisflyer
An alternative option is JAL. transit at NRT. their arrival time is more reasonable i gotta say.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Thanks, but I want the longer flight. It works better for me; BKK is my final destination. Just wondering it it's entirely in the dark until arrival.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Thanks, but I want the longer flight. It works better for me; BKK is my final destination. Just wondering it it's entirely in the dark until arrival.
Yes, usually (speaking more from cx845 experience). The caveat is that during the summer months, sometimes outside is not totally 100pct dark. It's like a far north summer night. During winter it is pitch black the entire way guaranteed.

I've never been bothered by light....ever....on these flights. In addition to cx811 and 845 perhaps 10x [forgot: I've also done the ex-EWR flight twice], I reckon I've flown cx873, 889, 881 and 883 (west coast midnight departures, which often also fly a very northerly route) a combined 30+ times. I wouldn't worry about the light on these flights.

Last edited by QRC3288; May 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm Reason: Forgot about flying from EWR a few times
Old May 15, 2017, 9:09 pm
HGF

Programs: AA EXP
What time does security close at Terminal E? I have a connection arriving at 12am into Terminal B. I am a bit concerned that security will be closed by the time I make my way over to Terminal E for the 1:30am departure.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:04 pm

Ok to add to the above, it's a family break with the kids, not a business trip.

We would be connecting through to Sydney. Frankly I'd rather transit in HK than LA or Dallas, and the CX price is good, hence looking at the CX option.

We have OWE status - is there a decent lounge in BOS that CX pax can access?

I think I can just about make it work with a late checkout and a longish loiter in the lounge (if available), as long as I can get the luggage checked in at a reasonable hour.

Hi, I am more interested in the Sydney fare you mention, BOS to SYD is always $$$, wonder if you willing to share the fare you paid and time traveling? I miss home....
Old May 16, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by potfish
Confirmed. I was in there last night for CX811. The hot bar and drinks bar were closed but there was cold food out. Some teething troubles: one coffee machine broken, one Nespresso machine with no capsules so nowhere at all to get a coffee as even Starbucks outside the lounge area was closed. Had to have beer instead.
Not surprised---thanks for sharing that intel. BOS, especially at night, is a bad joke. That airport is rather new to this "late a night trans-Pacific" stuff.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: CX DM
Whats the situation like at immigration upon arrival? Hopefully no long queues for non-US passport holders.

I was also wondering if there are any good options for a few hours before my flight the next day at 6am - with the CX flight arriving at 2135, I'm hoping to grab a bite to eat and find somewhere to hang out, especially as I'll probably be wide awake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.