Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I Invite a J Passenger to Dine With Me in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Invite a J Passenger to Dine With Me in F?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fauxreals
I just flew with a family where the parents and 2 babies were in 2A/K. They had two young daughters and a phillipina maid in the small J cabin right behind. The maid was responsible for caring for all children so had a party in the cabin. I ended up having to ask the purser for an empty J seat to sleep in so I could get some rest as the young daughters were very noisy and the maid would pace the aisle next to me with screaming babies. It was a nightmare.
Why would they not in the D/K side and leave the A side for you alone?

I am surprised the purser has not intervened from the outset. Must be some big $ customers.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

I managed to secure an F award from LAX-HKG and my wife and daughter (8 years old) are in J.

Any idea if one or both can join me in F for dinner?
Originally Posted by SFO777
As an aside... 1 F seat and you took it for yourself and not your wife? LOL. Apparently, you've yet to learn the old adage "happy wife, happy life".

Why don't you put your wife in F and you sit in J with your daughter.

Even if you can't get the extra F seats (and no, your daughter cannot sit alone in J), you can just switch seats with your wife upon boarding and explain to the Purser that you'll let your wife / daughter have the F seats. You'll certainly earn lots of brownie points.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Judging from the quality of F and J food on CX, you could always just go join them in J.

As an aside, SQ allows you to invite someone from J to your Suite Class for a meal only provided there is enough room (!!!)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
While it is not allowed and you will be asked to move back, I have seen many flight crews allowing children especially to join from J to to F or even from economy, especially if the cabin is empty and it is a day flight.

I have also seen on many occasions family members or friends moving forward, hanging out for a while and going back to their seat.

It depends a lot on the nature of the flight, crew and passengers within the cabin.

I certainly don't mind if someones friend or child visits them for a short time if it is a day flight and i certainly walk to other cabins to stretch my legs once in a while.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
If I'd be traveling with one companion that is in J and me in F, I'd ask in the politest way possible if he or she can join me to eat their J meal with me in my F suite.

If they refuse I'll gladly take no for an answer as rules are the rules.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If I'd be traveling with one companion that is in J and me in F, I'd ask in the politest way possible if he or she can join me to eat their J meal with me in my F suite.

If they refuse I'll gladly take no for an answer as rules are the rules.
That ignores there are other passengers in the first class cabin who may not appreciate the extra traffic and noise that such a guest would bring to the first class cabin.

If you want someone from business to join you in first, buy them a first class ticket. Otherwise, the general rule is that you can go backward between cabins (F to J or Y) but not forward (Y to J or F, or J to F).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
On SQ. Its a definite no. Not even if the person is eating their J meal which has to be set differently to your F meal.

Its okay for you to join them in J but not possible for you to ask someone to join you for a meal especially since they have not paid for that meal. Maybe for a drink.. but nothing more.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just ask FA on the plane - they may or may not allow that.

From more general prospective -
a) put your wife in F
b) i'd book everyone in business and save the miles
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
So, putting aside this excellent example of thread wander (and into a discussion that will never end well....)

OP asked:

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

I managed to secure an F award from LAX-HKG and my wife and daughter (8 years old) are in J.

Any idea if one or both can join me in F for dinner?

From a super-luxury point of view, F Class is also supposed to be exclusive. I didn't see it in the rule book, but I am quite sure that is how many airlines who have international F see it. I am equally sure that it how those who pay for F see it as well.

Airlines who allow non-F pax to come into F for amenities or to visit family, will not be able to sell the exclusivity they promise.

If OP asked and is refused by CX cabin crew, then that's the end of it.

If CX allows it, then it is possible other F pax may complain to crew.

If I was OP, I would have never posted the question on FT or any such forum.
You will never get the answer you want and you will likely irritate a lot of people. Well, irritated would be the correct tense of the verb.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The discussion of domestic helpers is off topic. Let's get back to the original topic of whether passengers from other cabins can dine in F cabin. If we have further discussion about the way to describe domestic helpers I will delete all the posts upthread.

Thanks
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Off-topic posts on domestic helpers were removed. Please stay on topic.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by Pickles
Ouch. This sounds like some kind of first-world karma/retribution/died and gone to hell (pick your religion here) situation. I can imagine Dante's circles of hell, updated and refreshed for the modern age. In circle 5, the penitent will end up in your situation, but for the rest of eternity, and in a completely full plane...
The ISM kept apologizing to me and said they would file a report against the family but they said they really couldn't stop them from moving about the cabins as the children were underage. I think CX shouldn't have allowed such booking but I can somewhat understand since they were accompanied by a domestic helper with them in J (but had to be in F taking care of two newborns for the majority of the flight). Regardless, I got a phone call from CX a week later. They apologized and offered 10,000 asia miles. Maybe the game has ruined me but 10,000 miles is just a drop in the bucket and felt orders of magnitude off considering that hellish flight. Best part was when I arrived in HK I found out my bag had been left in LA. Must have been karma from something I did in a past life.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fauxreals
The ISM kept apologizing to me and said they would file a report against the family but they said they really couldn't stop them from moving about the cabins as the children were underage. I think CX shouldn't have allowed such booking but I can somewhat understand since they were accompanied by a domestic helper with them in J (but had to be in F taking care of two newborns for the majority of the flight). Regardless, I got a phone call from CX a week later. They apologized and offered 10,000 asia miles. Maybe the game has ruined me but 10,000 miles is just a drop in the bucket and felt orders of magnitude off considering that hellish flight. Best part was when I arrived in HK I found out my bag had been left in LA. Must have been karma from something I did in a past life.
I don't think CX can do anything at booking, even if the F passenger is from a mileage upgrade. Most families are OK. My kids never wandered through the aisles when they were young, even when we were on separate cabins.

Perhaps the only thing the cabin crew can file is to report that the family is unfit for operational, birthday or milestone upgrades.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO777
I would hope not.

F is for F pax and not friends and family from J.
The crew is not likely to permit it and some F pax will complain if the crew doesn't kick them out on their own.
Here's an idea... why not visit them in J instead?

As an aside... 1 F seat and you took it for yourself and not your wife? LOL. Apparently, you've yet to learn the old adage "happy wife, happy life".
Seriously +1. Where has the chivalry gone? Honestly I cannot even contemplate this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by Happy
Why would they not in the D/K side and leave the A side for you alone?

I am surprised the purser has not intervened from the outset. Must be some big $ customers.
Because they had two newborns, and needed the bassinets found in 2A/K. That's what made it difficult as the domestic helper and kids had to loop around the whole F cabin through the front galley to get to the other aisle. I'm guessing it was big $ customers as they were given use of the private rooms in the Qantas F lounge that are on the right side after you enter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.