Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Late arrival causing missed connection and a 7 hours delay to Penang

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late arrival causing missed connection and a 7 hours delay to Penang

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Gate / arrival details

Thanks for the info. The OP's connection was tighter than thought (75 minutes, not 85), and the delayed connection was also tighter than he/she initially inferred. Only 36 minutes, not 55 minutes as we thought. See below. Kinda got screwed by a long taxi and Runway 07L being closed at the time.

The only thing I see that conflicts it the OP thinks it was gate 44, but the plane actually departed from gate #4. In hindsight this is a very quick connection...but hindsight is always 20/20 or whatever the saying is. Connection definitely tighter than he thought and missed the MCT.

CX252
Feb 11 arrival (Feb 10 departure)
Touchdown: 07:32, Runway 07R
Gate Arrival: 07:39, Gate #18
Reg: B-KPF
Status: Landed 32 minutes late, arrived at gate 39 minutes late (ETA 07:00)

KA633
Feb 11 departure
Takeoff: 08:41am, Runway: 07R
Gate Departure: 08:21, Gate #4 (information conflicts with OP)
Reg: B-HLC

Last edited by sxc; Mar 14, 2017 at 8:27 pm Reason: Corrected flight number
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

QRC3288
The connection flight I missed was KA633 (Cx5633) depart 0815

The rescheduled flight was KA691.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by CeeGull
QRC3288

I'm confused. It sounded like the staff rebooked you on MH via KUL.

- Taken longer to refuel at heathrow was the 30 mins delayed reason.
- No early available connection flight from hk to penang, earliest flight availble was 7 hours later which combine with MAS.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
QRC3288

Thanks for the info.
So the door opened around 740 and flight was leaving at 815.
That should be enough time to get to gate 4 if you have Boarding Pass (as you should). And I guess you had no checked bag.
Very surprised that you did not get an agent at arrival of LHR flight.

In any case, CX cannot reroute you on the LCC Air Asia, so you had the next direct flight. Flying MH through KUL would have been quite a hassle and not save you much time and added risks.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
I'm confused. It sounded like the staff rebooked you on MH via KUL.

Yes you are right, they rebooked me on KA691 which was combine with MH9741 but it was DragonAir plane landed Penang.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thanks for the info. The OP's connection was tighter than thought (75 minutes, not 85), and the delayed connection was also tighter than he/she initially inferred. Only 36 minutes, not 55 minutes as we thought. See below. Kinda got screwed by a long taxi and Runway 07L being closed at the time.

The only thing I see that conflicts it the OP thinks it was gate 44, but the plane actually departed from gate #4. In hindsight this is a very quick connection...but hindsight is always 20/20 or whatever the saying is. Connection definitely tighter than he thought and missed the MCT.

CX252
Feb 11 arrival (Feb 10 departure)
Touchdown: 07:32, Runway 07R
Gate Arrival: 07:39, Gate #18
Reg: B-KPF
Status: Landed 32 minutes late, arrived at gate 39 minutes late (ETA 07:00)

KA633
Feb 11 departure
Takeoff: 08:41am, Runway: 07R
Gate Departure: 08:21, Gate #4 (information conflicts with OP)
Reg: B-HLC
I am very certain seeing gate "44" on the notice board.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
OP you should just go ahead with the EC 261 comp claim, regardless we can't really add anything more than what QRC3288 provided. The 39 minute delayed arrival at the gate left you 26 minutes (36 min - 10 min gate close) to catch the next flight which included disembarking from the plane and walking and whatnot...

I personally would have asked for something from CX on the spot like lounge access just to make the wait more comfortable or duty of care which is food vouchers and a phone call which is also under EC 261.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I thought there's still ambiguity on whether EC261 applies on connections:

A very directly relevant to OP's circumstances (same jurisdiction and same airline defendant) is Sanghvi v Cathay Pacific where the an English High Court justice held CX isn't responsible for consequential delays outside EU

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post22411801
https://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/content/view-above

Of course I was told already there're dissenting views from the Continent (Air France SA v Folkerts) which says the airline is liable

https://www.flightdelays.co.uk/blog/...anghvi-problem

A third case (Gahan v Emirates) is meant to settle the discrepancy in the English Court of Appeal but I don't think there's a judgement from that yet http://www.4kbw.net/news/15082016185...d-connections/

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 15, 2017 at 3:23 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I thought there's still ambiguity on whether EC261 applies on connections:

A very directly relevant to OP's circumstances is Sanghvi v Cathay Pacific where the an English High Court justice held CX isn't responsible for consequential delays outside EU

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post22411801
https://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/content/view-above

Of course I was told already there're dissenting views from the Continent (Air France SA v Folkerts) which says the airline is liable

A third case (Gahan v Emirates) is meant to settle the discrepancy in the English Court of Appeal but I don't think there's a judgement from that yet http://www.4kbw.net/news/15082016185...d-connections/

I did note that Sanghvi v Cathay Pacific stated that EC 261 did not apply because the HKG-SYD flight was delayed while in this case it was the LHR-HKG flight which was delayed which is a totally whole different case.

"but the delay in question resulted from a late departure from Hong Kong and not from the EU"

Edit: oops got confused and really sleep deprived but can't sleep ... Percy is correct in stating that the matter is still being considered since different jurisdictions came up with different judgments.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I did note that Sanghvi v Cathay Pacific stated that EC 261 did not apply because the HKG-SYD flight was delayed while in this case it was the LHR-HKG flight which was delayed which is a totally whole different case.
I think you are mistaken on this one too?

"Mr Sanghvi flew to from London to Sydney via Hong Kong, unfortunately his flight to Hong Kong was slightly delayed. When he arrived at Hong Kong his connecting flight was still “on the tarmac”, but he was refused boarding because the Gate had closed by the time he could get to it. " (my emphasis)
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I think you are mistaken on this one too?

"Mr Sanghvi flew to from London to Sydney via Hong Kong, unfortunately his flight to Hong Kong was slightly delayed. When he arrived at Hong Kong his connecting flight was still “on the tarmac”, but he was refused boarding because the Gate had closed by the time he could get to it. " (my emphasis)
Missed that one, apologies.

Most likely this won't be settled anytime soon without intervention from the EU bodies instead of just individual courts.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Hi All

I have received CX's compensation reply admitting their responsibility for my missed connection 7 hours delay. I am so pleased that Cx understand my case is not a try on as some have eluded to. Restore my faith in Cx for such express within 7 days response.

Most of all "thank you" for your positive support and advise. Couldnot have known my right without you all.
QRC3288 amazing detective work placed all the missing puzzle in my mind. Couldnot focus pay attn to all details when i was in panic stage.

I stumbled onto flyertalk website/ forum when i was having issues with my previous flight experience. Unfortunately twice over the last 3 years of travelling hasnot been a smooth ride. Am I the unlucky one? Hopefully luck will b with me from now on.......
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So they agreed to €600 compensation?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
So they agreed to €600 compensation?
Yes they did.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
And sadly that will just encourage more people like you to travel incompetently!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.