Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Slowly discovering DM's unpublished benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slowly discovering DM's unpublished benefits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by mxr
Of what?
You know, these are some of the things that are not available for partner elites and make me wanna be MPO elite...but sadly i just still can't get over the stingy RDM issue and lack of fast track to GO/DM...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
After the last "please consider not to use your guarantee J benefit" incident, together with all the "fill seat rather than block seat"; "ISM passed by and ignored" "privileges" I had these days, I just had another incident that seriously make me feel I'm merely a DM in appearance, not a DM in fact...

What I can say is... If you can't afford J fare, it is quite meaningless and you'll still be treated second class regardless of what they says on paper how good you can be as a DM...

(Typing this in a CX lounge)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I have long suspected (and perhaps hoped) that there is a "this customer is a complete pain in the arse" field in the database that overrides all but the published DM benefits.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
You know, these are some of the things that are not available for partner elites and make me wanna be MPO elite...but sadly i just still can't get over the stingy RDM issue and lack of fast track to GO/DM...
Why not just do a status match to try it out for awhile. As OWE, I'm sure you'll get something, that's actually how I got my DM. I've maintained it of course, but redemptions in general have been rather good for me. Perhaps it's all the "unpublished stuff" they have going on to ensure DMs get some kind of advantage.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:56 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by btschang
Why not just do a status match to try it out for awhile. As OWE, I'm sure you'll get something, that's actually how I got my DM. I've maintained it of course, but redemptions in general have been rather good for me. Perhaps it's all the "unpublished stuff" they have going on to ensure DMs get some kind of advantage.
Were you matched from OWE directly? That would seem like news to me though!
Probably from OWE to GO with the last 1200cp to go for yourself?
Here's where DM is a pain to achieve, due to the constant resets on the way there...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Indeed I would be happy if they can 'match' me to GO, but I am rather doubtful about that still (most of my flying in paid J with around 1200-1400 CP if converted to MPC scoring...but I am a low yield pax doing ex-outport mostly...)

Perhaps dual OWE + GO could be an option too but again GO vs DM is a big big letdown And AA HK office takes pretty good care of HK based EXPs.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
This is what Cathay used to be like, and I am glad to get that feeling back again in my recent trans-Pacific flight.

1) Cabin head came over and genuinely held a conversation with me (not the quick hi, my name is, bye, please don't talk back I'm busy with my work), with a smile, and throughout the trip came to me numerous times asking and offering things to me.

2) ISM came, held a friendly conversation with me (again, not the usual hi, bye, don't talk back I'm busy), and remind me to always go to her if I am in anyway unsatisfy with the cabin service.

3) Cabin attendants coming often, address with name, with a bright smile, and asking if I needed anything.

I don't know if it's because I'm a DM now, or I paid full-fare J, or both or I simply had the luck to bump into a rare Cathay good crew. I have to say, this is the reason why we all love Cathay in the first place, great service.
Here's what I experienced:

JFK-HKG late Dec 2016 -> Y -> No greeting, again, midnight flight, so that's ok.

HKG-ZRH Late Jan 2017-> Y -> No greeting or much special recognition, but I wouldn't blame them, overnight flight after all. I might have just shut my eyes and they didn't bother to wake me up. No biggie.

LHG-HKG early Feb 2017 -> Y -> Day flight -> Exceptional service and recognition of me as OWE.

HKG-JFK late Feb 2017 -> J -> Fantastic service!

Still had that in late Feb with my parents. Three in mini J cabin. ISM, F/J crew mostly greeted at me and I told her to pass me any questions if they couldn't get through my parents(broken English), but I must admit most HK local young crew didn't smile or interact with me much, but I talked to ISMs, and F/J crew quite a few times in the 15.5 hour HKG-JFK flight.

Planning to book another EU-Asia J/PE in CX very soon. I'd admit some of them are indifferent to customers, but some of them are still very good offering excellent service.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 9, 2017 at 9:33 pm Reason: Clarification and typo
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by mxr
Were you matched from OWE directly? That would seem like news to me though!
Probably from OWE to GO with the last 1200cp to go for yourself?
Here's where DM is a pain to achieve, due to the constant resets on the way there...
Yes, sorry, wasn't very specific. I matched to GO and then earned my way up there. I used to be based out of STL, but I'm now in HKG and most of my travel is regional with some long haul, so it made sense to switch over to MPC.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Another unpublished DM benefit? When I had an issue with my checked-in bags (say a zipper was broken). I took it to the Cathay luggage department that's in the middle of carousels. A person would look at it, take pictures, and ask how long I would be staying so Cathay can try to fix it. When I say 1-3 days (usually my business stays in Hong Kong are quick turnarounds), they would pay me some cash on the spot to compensate.

My wife was traveling and she had her luggage ripped (really bad). She is only Asia Miles (traveling C class thought), and she said the person took it, says he will "try to get it fix" (she's staying for 2 weeks for with friends), and if it is not fixable then my wife would have to go to another department herself to make a claim for cash compensation.

Hmmmm.... another unpublished DM benefit?
Old May 9, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Here's what I experienced:

JFK-HKG late Feb -> Y -> No greeting, again, midnight flight, so that's ok.

HKG-ZRH Late Jan -> Y -> No greeting or much special recognition, but I wouldn't blame them, overnight flight after all. I might have just shut my eyes and they didn't bother to wake me up. No biggie.

LHG-HKG early Feb -> Y -> Day flight -> Exceptional service and recognition of me as OWE.

HKG-JFK late Feb -> Fantastic service!

Still had that in late Feb with my parents. Three in mini J cabin. ISM, F/J crew mostly greeted at me and I told him to pass me any questions if they couldn't get through my parents(broken English), but I must admit most HK local young crew didn't smile or interact with me much. Talked quite a few times in the 15.5 hour HKG-JFK flight.

Planning to book another EU-Asia J/PE in CX very soon. I'd admit some of them are indifferent to customers, but some of them are still very good offering excellent service.
i was greeted at deboarding (with addressing specifically) when i passed out gate to gate flying kixhkg when i was OWE 2 years ago. I was first row (on either y or py i forgot) so that might have helped with things.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Another unpublished DM benefit? When I had an issue with my checked-in bags (say a zipper was broken). I took it to the Cathay luggage department that's in the middle of carousels. A person would look at it, take pictures, and ask how long I would be staying so Cathay can try to fix it. When I say 1-3 days (usually my business stays in Hong Kong are quick turnarounds), they would pay me some cash on the spot to compensate.

My wife was traveling and she had her luggage ripped (really bad). She is only Asia Miles (traveling C class thought), and she said the person took it, says he will "try to get it fix" (she's staying for 2 weeks for with friends), and if it is not fixable then my wife would have to go to another department herself to make a claim for cash compensation.

Hmmmm.... another unpublished DM benefit?

As GR I had an in-between experience. One corner of the luggage was smashed and got the "try to get it fixed" message by staff. Delivered a brand new luggage to me at the hotel in BKK 2 days later and apologized.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Chromie25
As GR I had an in-between experience. One corner of the luggage was smashed and got the "try to get it fixed" message by staff. Delivered a brand new luggage to me at the hotel in BKK 2 days later and apologized.
My wife uses Globe-Trotter. I really doubt Cathay will buy a new Globe-Trotter for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.