Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant on Award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Infant on Award ticket

Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if this was answered somewhere else, tried looking but couldn't find it. I know that booking CX with AS miles means paying the 25% of revenue fare, which is crazy on a first class award ticket.

My thought is this: what if my family of 3 (wife and lap child) were to book one first class award ticket (wife) and one economy award ticket (me) and add a lap infant to my economy ticket. Then after getting on the flight, to have my wife come back and bring the infant to her seat.

Would that be allowed?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Quikarmani
Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if this was answered somewhere else, tried looking but couldn't find it. I know that booking CX with AS miles means paying the 25% of revenue fare, which is crazy on a first class award ticket.

My thought is this: what if my family of 3 (wife and lap child) were to book one first class award ticket (wife) and one economy award ticket (me) and add a lap infant to my economy ticket. Then after getting on the flight, to have my wife come back and bring the infant to her seat.

Would that be allowed?
You should buy the First Class Infant Ticket but not Econ Infant Ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
wait what? So you're saying to pay $2,000 usd for a first class lap infant award ticket? I'm trying to avoid that.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:33 am

wait what? So you're saying to pay $2,000 usd for a first class lap infant award ticket? I'm trying to avoid that.
Just $2000? I pay for JFK-HKG infant ticket for $2000 already
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Hi guys,

Would that be allowed?
Your infant has no right to be in the F cabin without an F ticket unfortunately.
You perhaps may be able to sneak your infant in, but don't count on it.

Its unfortunate that AS does not allow for infant redemptions. The only ones that I can think of in OW off the top are QF (free) and BAEC (10% miles).
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I was pretty sure it would not be allowed, however just wanted to see if others had any ideas.

A new question is this. Does anyone know if flying an award from Syd-Hkg(stop)-Lax on Cathay would require 10% or 25% for a lap infant? I read that it's 10% if it's from USA. Not sure about one way awards to USA count towards 25%. Anyone have experience on this?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:41 pm

I was pretty sure it would not be allowed, however just wanted to see if others had any ideas.

A new question is this. Does anyone know if flying an award from Syd-Hkg(stop)-Lax on Cathay would require 10% or 25% for a lap infant? I read that it's 10% if it's from USA. Not sure about one way awards to USA count towards 25%. Anyone have experience on this?
As fast as I know, all CX/KA flight require 25% of the regular fare for infant
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX, BA

Think its the other way round. It's 25% of full fare from USA and 10% from other locations. Regardless, 10% of full fare is still a lot of $ (for essentially some baby food and diapers).
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:48 pm

My situation - I may be super cheap but getting 3 adults JFK-HKG for 140k miles business return which is fine. The agent approximated lap child (my 20 month old) to be $900. She said she cannot give me an exact fare though and it can vary when I finally book. What do you folks it would be approximately and I'm wondering if it's better to simply buy another seat for 140k miles rather than paying that $900 cash. My kid is super easy and has flown in bassinets before and stays comfortable so doesn't need a seat but paying $900 doesn't feel great
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
My situation - I may be super cheap but getting 3 adults JFK-HKG for 140k miles business return which is fine. The agent approximated lap child (my 20 month old) to be $900. She said she cannot give me an exact fare though and it can vary when I finally book. What do you folks it would be approximately and I'm wondering if it's better to simply buy another seat for 140k miles rather than paying that $900 cash. My kid is super easy and has flown in bassinets before and stays comfortable so doesn't need a seat but paying $900 doesn't feel great
On March 2016, I purchase infant business ticket JFK-HKG roundtrip for $2000($8000 full fare X 25%), now I think the full fare has been drop down little bit, but still much
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:07 pm

I thought it was 10% and not 25% - which one?

1) Also, is there a site that shows full fares so that I can compute before booking?

2) Lastly, does AA allow canceling a fully ticketed award booking within 24 hours without penalties?

Thx
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

1) Also, is there a site that shows full fares so that I can compute before booking?

2) Lastly, does AA allow canceling a fully ticketed award booking within 24 hours without penalties?

Thx
I don't think you can ticket a lap child without a adult companion.

As these questions are regarding AA award, they should be raised in the AA forum. Members there should be able to help.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:43 pm

I've paid 25% before, but CX fares from Canada/US to Asia seem to be 10% now. (which is nice, as I was considering paying miles for an extra award seat instead!)

Price infant fares precisely using matrix.itasoftware.com or Expedia, just enter the passenger types.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:02 am
Original Poster

So I called the Asia Miles center in Sydney and got quoted a price of $746 AUD (10% of full fare, said the CSR) for SYD-HKG-LAX. So not sure if this is because I'm flying to the USA, so it's 10% or because I called a non-US call center. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:11 am

So I called the Asia Miles center in Sydney and got quoted a price of $746 AUD (10% of full fare, said the CSR) for SYD-HKG-LAX. So not sure if this is because I'm flying to the USA, so it's 10% or because I called a non-US call center. Hope this helps.
I have been quoted 25% through CX Germany, so me thinks it's cause you're flying to the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.