Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What is the F service like on a short (2hr) flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Poster

I've always dreamed of flying Cathay F. I need to fly HKG-TPE later this week, and there are award tickets available for 25k miles on a 77W.

The flight length is about 2 hours. What would the service be like on such a short flight? Food, drink, etc? Would they turn the seat into a bed if I wanted to try that out?

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can obviously put the seat flat if you wish, but they don't carry the duvets etc on short haul flights. You only have about an hour of seat belt off time, so the food is necessarily limited.

The best bit of the experience would be the Pier F lounge beforehand. If you are OW Emerald and get that already then I probably wouldn't bother with F in the air just to TPE.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Um...I wouldn't do it for TPE but maybe Tokyo.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Agreed - I will be burning 70,000 AMs for a last round trip to TYO in the nose of a CX 747 next month.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green
Umm... I would save the miles for a slightly longer trip such as Tokyo as other members mentioned.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:03 am

I was upgraded from J to F on a CX 744 (hell of a shock as no status AT ALL with oneworld....travelling alone has its benefits occasionally it seems!) on a flight no more than 3.5 hours long....

2 pax in F... 2 FA's.... service was...unsurprisingly...magnificent.

6 course lunch was offered.....
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by trooper
6 course lunch was offered.....
HKG-HND or KIX?

Kaiseki lunch?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
The guy's experience above is definitely not TPE. He clearly got upgraded to Japan.

To the OP, it really depends on you. It is absolutely not the "full" F experience: no duvets, PJs, amenity kit, and of course very little of the more typical F catering. The menu is very abbreviated, which is saying something because CX F catering is already fairly abbreviated compared to the past. Champagne is Deutz blanc de blanc IIRC or something of that caliber...quite nice, but easier on the budget than Krug. Breakfasts are basically equivalent to a J class long haul ex-USA redeye breakfast (note: big, and somewhat better than the ex-Europe equivalent), but plated better. And there may be a more "bling" main that could offer something like crab or lobster mixed into some dish. But really I wouldn't get too worked up.

But anyway I could still see how you might want to just go for it and pull the trigger, especially to sit in the cabin for a few hours. It will be no doubt quite short and brutal when descent starts but it could be cool to try it out if you don't think you'll have to many other experiences. It wouldn't be how I personally would burn 25k Asia Miles, but to each their own.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
For HKG-TPE F, I tried once last year as a result of op-up

You have dine on demand, you can lie flat, but probably not enough time for both...

I felt asleep even before takeoff... When I woke up there was only 45 mins before landing... Still managed to have the entire breakfast... If I was still in J definitely nothing for me to eat...

Others... Just as others said above...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:45 am

If you have the dream of flying CX F one way or another...then by all means, go for it. 25K isn't too bad, and the extra 10K vs. a regular Y redemption can easily be earned back here
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
My only short haul F was cut http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...d-77h-33p.html

What is taken away from short haul F that is present in long haul F?

- pyjamas
- amenity kit
- Krug (in lieu of some other bubbly)

- duvet?!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:37 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
My only short haul F was cut http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...d-77h-33p.html

What is taken away from short haul F that is present in long haul F?

- pyjamas
- amenity kit
- Krug (in lieu of some other bubbly)

- duvet?!
CX serves amour de deutz blanc de blancs on SH F (which by no means is a bad champagne - quite good actually)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by polar8
The flight length is about 2 hours.
Nothing more to add except about the flight time - can be as little as 1hr10mins. 1hr20mins is pretty common - no where near the 2 hours, unless you want to include taxi time in that.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by christep
Agreed - I will be burning 70,000 AMs for a last round trip to TYO in the nose of a CX 747 next month.
I believe there might be a half (or more) of us here planning on doing so - myself included (however not as lucky/fortunate enough to get Oct 1st and my flight is already 5/9 occupied )
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Nothing more to add except about the flight time - can be as little as 1hr10mins. 1hr20mins is pretty common - no where near the 2 hours, unless you want to include taxi time in that.
Including taxi time in this particular case seems quite reasonable. I always do it when flying F, and subtract it when flying Y. Helps with the cognitive dissonance that comes with flying behind the wings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.