Wiki Posts
Search

Pier J Lounge re-opening June 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:03 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by stargold
I'm confused. Have you been to the Pier J yet, or not?

Pier J is equal or superior to all other CX J lounges in HKG in just about every aspect. I'm not sure why you would "avoid" Pier J unless you have tried it and dislike it for some reason.

There are more dining areas in Pier J which have their own menus. The Dining Room has dim sum and noodle bar, and the Tea House has the tea selection and a different set of desserts. The first room has an espresso cart tended by a barista.
Agree, Pier J has everything The Bridge has, and then some more.
Both are top class lounges though
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by phol
I cant really tell in the pictures, but are these all self serve? When i was there anything worth having was behind glass and being served in tiny portions.
Answer below

Originally Posted by soy
No self serve food in Pier J from what I could see earlier this week. Everything is behind a counter/display cases
Not exactly correct. See my photos and my answer below:

The items I posted in #114 are all self-serve. In the main hall food area and in the Noodle Bar food area, there are wall units with teas, juice etc. One of them had various dessert cookies in jars. The one in the Noodle Bar had 3 or 4 self-service hot "Asian" items.

The treats in the Tea House are all on display under covered plates and you can take what you want.

The food that is served are the items shown above like the quiches and pizza and so on, including the hot items. If you ask for pizza, they will give you one live. I simple asked for 2 and there is no issue.

It would be the same if you anted extra potatoes or 2 sandwiches.

While it may appear that having food served limits the amount, I found it did not and I MUCH prefer it to the buffets that exist in many of the *A lounges from the clean point of view.

I find many people do not wash their hands and then touch not only the food tongs but the food itself. This includes adults and children. I know someone who got food poisoning from tongs.

We each have our own preferences and while I found the people using the buffets at the LH F lounge in MUC or the LH FCT in FRA to be quite civilized, I have seen the complete opposite in places like the Admirals Club LAX, the AC Maple Leaf Lounge at YYZ (especially the larger international one), the AC lounges at YVR, the TG/SQ/UA lounges at HKG as well as the SQ at SIN, just to name a few.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by lowjhg

There is no passageway connecting Pier F to Pier J unlike at the wing. One must exit Pier F, up the escalators, down another set of escalators 1 gate later to enter the lounge.
It's a shame about that. As I recall the old Pier F and J had a connecting door. I guess it was felt that it takes away from the exclusivity of the F lounge, or something. And it would require CX to guard another entrance to the F lounge.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: CX, le club accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by 24left
A
While it may appear that having food served limits the amount, I found it did not and I MUCH prefer it to the buffets that exist in many of the *A lounges from the clean point of view.

I find many people do not wash their hands and then touch not only the food tongs but the food itself. This includes adults and children. I know someone who got food poisoning from tongs.
See, my gripe is that I don't think CX would've done this if not as a subtle cost-cutting measure. Out of the many years the food have been buffet-style, did they not care about hygiene?

People have always been messy. Human+buffet=messy. So can the hygiene argument be made? If so, why not eliminate self-serve hot items altogether? The rice is always a terrible mess in the buffet.

Like you said, this is also my personal preference and just how I, one person, see the situation. A lot of the food does not gain added quality when served compared to just laying out there in an open buffet. They also do not necessitate being served to order like the noodle soups.

They've done this to cut back on wastage and the odd binge-eating person, is what I think. Tightening the purse-strings. Which is why I asked if the newspaper cuts are real and corroborated in the other HKG lounges, because that would be a hint.

At the same time, the CX lounges have also transitioned to a higher percentage of fountains for soft drinks and fizzy water. So let's use the (certainly strong) case for served food -- is serving soft drinks that way more hygienic, or easier for upkeep? No and hell the F no! But it certainly eliminates a few costs for CX because in the transition certain "brand name" waters, for instance, can be done away with.

CX has been on a cost-cutting train for a while now.
Everyone can see it in J catering. (note the change of butter - my guess is they're no longer having to pay an outside supplier for it.)
I can see it in their IFE selection (higher % of older TV dramas)
And it's now becoming a little stronger in the lounges as well.

Mind you, I need decaf coffee for medical reasons, and when CX lounges did away with that a few years ago, I was okay with it, because I can see how odds-wise, percentage-wise, one could perhaps make a small-ish case for it. This now is a far bigger cut than that.

I'm going to conclude by saying, I still enjoy CX more than most hongkongers on here, and unlike for them, CX is usually not the most expensive option for me. But that doesn't mean I as a consumer do not have the right to notice what just happens to be happening right in front of me. I'll leave it at that, and leave this for posterity. Thank you.

Last edited by sl0uch; Jul 16, 2016 at 9:39 pm Reason: quality control
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by arabiamark
It's a shame about that. As I recall the old Pier F and J had a connecting door. I guess it was felt that it takes away from the exclusivity of the F lounge, or something. And it would require CX to guard another entrance to the F lounge.
I too remember the connecting door...

...but in the grand scheme of things, I'm glad CX did it this way so folks can't jump from J to F. It's probably too hard for CX to police. Anything to keep the crowds down in the F lounges.

Two weeks ago, I once again watched someone sneak through the Wing J upstairs entrance into the Wing F lounge, you know that renovated side room of Wing F where the tea/espresso bar are. Guy was shameless about it; he just waited on the top of the steps until the staff at the J desk upstairs were occupied and walked through. I looked at his BP after he plopped down in the Haven: CX GO flying Y class.

I didn't say anything to the staff. Still peeved at myself for not saying anything.

I imagine lounge crashers have declined a lot as result of the F side room renovation, but it still is possible. Best way to eliminate it is not have a backdoor!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by sl0uch
See, my gripe is that I don't think CX would've done this if not as a subtle cost-cutting measure. Out of the many years the food have been buffet-style, did they not care about hygiene?

People have always been messy. Human+buffet=messy. So can the hygiene argument be made? If so, why not eliminate self-serve hot items altogether? The rice is always a terrible mess in the buffet.

Like you said, this is also my personal preference and just how I, one person, see the situation. A lot of the food does not gain added quality when served compared to just laying out there in an open buffet. They also do not necessitate being served to order like the noodle soups.

They've done this to cut back on wastage and the odd binge-eating person, is what I think. Tightening the purse-strings. Which is why I asked if the newspaper cuts are real and corroborated in the other HKG lounges, because that would be a hint.

At the same time, the CX lounges have also transitioned to a higher percentage of fountains for soft drinks and fizzy water. So let's use the (certainly strong) case for served food -- is serving soft drinks that way more hygienic, or easier for upkeep? No and hell the F no! But it certainly eliminates a few costs for CX because in the transition certain "brand name" waters, for instance, can be done away with.

Everyone can see it in J catering. (note the change of butter - my guess is they're no longer having to pay an outside supplier for it.)

Mind you, I need decaf coffee for medical reasons, and when CX lounges did away with that a few years ago, I was okay with it, because I can see how odds-wise, percentage-wise, one could perhaps make a small-ish case for it. This now is a far bigger cut than that.

I'm going to conclude by saying, I still enjoy CX more than most hongkongers on here, and unlike for them, CX is usually not the most expensive option for me. But that doesn't mean I as a consumer do not have the right to notice what just happens to be happening right in front of me. I'll leave it at that, and leave this for posterity. Thank you.
What a strange little rant about an entirely minor issue. Have they ever stopped you from ordering as much/many times as you want from the counter?

Anyway if you deliberately choose to go to an inferior lounge, I guess that's your choice!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@sl0uch

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I would not disagree that serving some of the foods instead of buffet would cut down on wastage.

But I will add these thoughts:

Newspapers/Magazines

I work in a related industry so I people-watch as a habit of my work. I notice if they are reading or watching or using a mobile device or laptop etc.

I still enjoy boarding SQ, CX or AC and being offered a selection of print media. I do not watch any IFE, so the paper stuff is some of my entertainment as well as the ability to track client and competitor info.

However, looking around all of the lounges I pass through, I see fewer people reading paper-form media. I am not sure which airline customer service people would even know, let alone give an honest answer as to why there is a smaller selection. We can all assume it is to save money. I believe it is mostly as a result of changing consumer media habits.

Buffet, Food Served, Open Bar versus Bartender

There is always going to be those individuals who prefer one over the other. The Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges are buffet (some better, some worse, food quality deteriorating rapidly due to cost cutting and change of provider). But looking at just business class lounges, AC is still better than anything I’ve experienced at any AA or UA club I’ve been in. CX is significantly better than AC.

These are just simple examples based on my experiences.

There are many who do not care about the food, only the bar offerings. Many of Air Canada’s lounges are open bar and there is rarely mention of abuse, but there are some who misbehave. As such, AC has put bartenders in a couple of locations now.

I was in the LH FCT in FRA and the LH F lounge in MUC a number of times, and they had great bartending. The UA club at LHR has a pretty impressive long bar and a decent bartender service. Some like it as they think it adds a little civility to the whole experience. Others would literally rather just grab the bottles off the shelf and go nurse themselves in a corner.

Bottom line…the world is made up of way too many types of people and preferences and not everyone will be happy.

I’m just happier when I don’t see hands touching food - or as I saw in HKG and SIN last week, people actually coughing over food.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: pleb

I think you should visit Pier J first before prematurely judging the lounge. I was in Pier F this weekend but hopped over to Pier J to take a look. Honestly I would've been just as happy with just Pier J. The lounge is incredibly huge and spacious. Multiple themed rooms. Food offering was much better than the other HKG CX J lounges. Yes, certain parts are not self serve, but that was not an issue at all. There was a lot more variety with the food and had everything the Bridge had plus more. The tea room was great and had their own snacks. I am really liking the new furnishings, etc to match with the new Pier F. I probably would've have just ended up staying at Pier J but had a massage apt and buggy ride service booked from Pier F already.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:36 pm

Completely agree with nightkhan. The poster above guessing at things without actually seeing it is....off the mark in my opinion.

Pier J is the nicest J lounge I've ever been in, including the Al Majouran lounge we're debating on another thread. I actually prefer it here to the Pier F lounge!!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:54 pm

Just walking out of the lounge for my second visit.

It is just breathtaking IMO what they've done here. It's like a super sized, even better version of the already great TPE biz lounge.

If this isn't CX's best possible lounge effort to drive traffic - and perhaps encourage some more mainland travelers to connect in HKG via KA and CX - I don't know what is. I love how the DNA of this lounge stays authentic to Chinese tastes while staying elevated and comfortable for everyone.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I too remember the connecting door...

...but in the grand scheme of things, I'm glad CX did it this way so folks can't jump from J to F. It's probably too hard for CX to police. Anything to keep the crowds down in the F lounges.

Two weeks ago, I once again watched someone sneak through the Wing J upstairs entrance into the Wing F lounge, you know that renovated side room of Wing F where the tea/espresso bar are. Guy was shameless about it; he just waited on the top of the steps until the staff at the J desk upstairs were occupied and walked through. I looked at his BP after he plopped down in the Haven: CX GO flying Y class.

I didn't say anything to the staff. Still peeved at myself for not saying anything.

I imagine lounge crashers have declined a lot as result of the F side room renovation, but it still is possible. Best way to eliminate it is not have a backdoor!
I think there is a much greater need for a connecting door at The Wing.Imagine if you are in F and you come to the entrance next to Gates 1-2-3 and they tell you you now have to make your way upstairs via the general area,I suppose there will be a lot of unhappy faces. I see those annoyed J/Sapphire pax trying to access The Wing J from upstairs.

Also I suppose it's very convenient and useful for pax departing from Gates 1-2-3 to enter from the entrance immediately post immigration,chill in The Wing and then go downstairs via the J lounge.

I agree there is the issue of J pax sneaking to the F side is there. I have seen a lot of people doing it,sometimes the staff ask them for their BP (after they entered),sometimes not,sometimes on purpose,sometimes by accident (on my first ever visit to The Wing I actually thought that the J side is F and I had a shower downstairs). I agree there should be some kind of mechanism to stop this though,possibly a door or a gate that would need staff authorization to open.

At the Pier I don't see a case for the connecting door,I mean the whole "go up-walk-go down" will take you what 1-2 minutes? I always go to the smoking area next to Pier and I have to double back the moving walkway,(which terminates just before Pier J entrance) but it takes 1 minutes to walk. So it's a big headache for CX in exchange to a very very minor increase in convenience for [a very low number of] pax.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: pleb
Do they officially offer any food to go at Pier J, say an odd sandwich or pastry? Or have they cost-cut that out of the lounge experience like the soft drinks and decaf coffee and third-party coffee cream?

On my Pier J visit (late June) the newspaper selection was so small it shocked me. I'm used to seeing a ton of Euro papers at The Bridge. Have they cut it over there too?

I was quite underwhelmed by Pier J because I see what I suspect is yet another wave of cost cuts, following the cuts made to J catering and IFE selection.
Actually I see you did visit Pier J but find it confusing how you think there's apparent signs of cost-cutting with the food and drinks. There are shelves/fridges fill with cans of sodas and drinks. There were sandwiches pre-made for you to take as well at the end of the food counter. The first room is even dedicated to the grab and go pax as all the foods and snacks are prepared to be taken out. The regular food counter is just as long, if not longer than the food counter at the Bridge with better variety. And honestly it's so much cleaner with someone serving you the food than the self-serve buffet style. Perhaps the lack of newspaper selection was due to the fact that the lounge had just opened?

I also don't understand how if you've been to the Pier J and noticed the apparent lack in newspaper selection, you couldn't bother to check on the food offerings since you didn't even know if there are snacks and sandwiches that you could take out with you.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:32 am

Hi,
following positive reviews in this thread we visited Pier J twice, before our flight to DPS and before flight to AMS. I confirm that this place is excellent. Lots of space, not crowded (we were there in the morning and in the evening, I don't know, how it is during the day), many different types of seats for different needs, silence, relaxing lighting.
As regards food, we didn't like the asian part, but the first section with mediterranean food was really enjoyable, particularly on our second visit. They had wide selection of salads and cheese, pastry, smoked salmon, great cheesecake, etc. On our first visit the best thing were wraps with tuna stuffing. I liked also tea section. I'm sorry I didn't try drinks from the bar but I will be back to HKG in October and definitely will have one or two (particularly that will be travelling solo this time ;-) )
However, the best part are the showers at the end of lounge. It's so nice and refreshing to have a shower after or before long flight. There's nothing I can complain about this place. Well, perhaps the design could be a little less "raw", but it's question of personal taste...
Best regards, Bartek
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:46 pm

I made my first visit to the Pier J lounge last week, and I couldn't have been more impressed. It has a different feel to the Bridge. The Bridge is more like a lounge room, the Pier feels more like a bar or restaurant. More hard surfaces, dim lighting. But it is beautifully furnished and very practical.

Firstly I got a shower right away, no waiting. That has never happened to me at the Bridge. I don't know if they have more shower suites or if there are just fewer people in the Pier but the shower attendant was almost begging passers by to come in for a shower. The shower suites themselves are very nice, a bit smaller than the Bridge ones but all the same amenities. In particular the same glorious giant showerheads.

Secondly I headed for the noodle bar, which is wonderful. The setup is much the same as at the Wing, but as my flights tend to leave from the gates near the Pier it had been a while since I have been at the Pier. Had Dan Dan noodles, BBQ pork buns, dumplings, wontons and a nice red curry.

Then I hit the Western food section for a slice of pizza (served to you rather than self-serve as per the Bridge, but the staff were not busy so it was no problem). Didn't go to the bar (had just come from a long session at Sevva) but it looked great as well. Wandered down to the end just for a look at the relaxation room, it looked very peaceful as well.

My only concern (if it is a concern) was that it was half empty. This was at 10pm on a Friday night, which isn't peak hour but there are two Australian flights which depart at midnight from nearby gates, so I was a bit surprised it wasn't busier. This was great in terms of quick service and peace, but I just hope the lounge is worth what Cathay spent on it.

It is easily the best lounge at HKIA, leaves the other Cathay and Qantas lounges in the dust. As I sat there eating my noodles, I thought that I would not be unhappy if this was what heaven is like...

EDIT: I notice a few comments above about perceived cost-cutting. Really?! My only concern is that they might have spent too much on it! It just goes to show that some people can find something negative to say about anything Cathay does. Honestly, if you are really dissatisfied with the Cathay lounges at Hong Kong, you must be dissatisfied with a lot of things in life.

Last edited by lionelhutz; Aug 21, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I did try the mojito and cosmopolitan at the bar and one staff member looked liked he was being trained. Both drinks were terrible and I asked for champagne instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.