Wiki Posts
Search

What type plane is being used.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
What type plane is being used.

I'm booked in J on 703 to Bkk, Tue Oct 27. I was booked on a 333 with 2-2-2 seating. I was looking at expert flyer and they are showing 777w with 1-2-1 seating. I then checked with Manage my Booking and it is showing 333.
Then looked at dummy booking and it shows 777w. Any thoughts as to what type of plane may be used? I'm in Miami now and leave in about 14 hours and would like to get it straighten out before I check in With AA.
I have another booking in Dec that I got notification they moved me from 703 to the 10pm flight.

The Cathay phones are off on Sunday's and it's to early to call Hong Kong.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: OWE
This has happened to me before as well (CX website shows different config than seatguru), and the CX website (manage my booking) ended up being correct.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by paullgo
I'm booked in J on 703 to Bkk, Tue Oct 27. I was booked on a 333 with 2-2-2 seating. I was looking at expert flyer and they are showing 777w with 1-2-1 seating. I then checked with Manage my Booking and it is showing 333.
Then looked at dummy booking and it shows 777w. Any thoughts as to what type of plane may be used? I'm in Miami now and leave in about 14 hours and would like to get it straighten out before I check in With AA.
I have another booking in Dec that I got notification they moved me from 703 to the 10pm flight.

Go by what CX shows in 'Manage My Booking'. Use the CX MMB to select your seats. I always find that more accurate, and the seats hold, rather than using a third party website like AA's or QF's etc to select CX seats.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I do have a seat assignment. I bought the ticket a couple of months ago and there have been a couple plane changes. Today is the first time I have seen differences within the same web site.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Which number were you calling? If anything, for no/low status elites, calling HKG at that hour (5AM HKT) would had gotten you through an agent quite fast. Their global line is open 24/7. It's just the US Reservation that have limited hours.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Go by what CX shows in 'Manage My Booking'. Use the CX MMB to select your seats. I always find that more accurate, and the seats hold, rather than using a third party website like AA's or QF's etc to select CX seats.
For my KUL booking next week MMB keeps changing its mind. Last week it was a long haul 333, this week it's a low J regional 333, today it's a high J regional 333. The return is currently calling itself a 773, but the seatmap looks suspiciously like a 340 (last month it was, depending on the day you checked, either a shorthaul or longhaul 773)

I think the reality is that for regional flights CX keeps changing its mind, which is irritating, because as a solo traveller, you may want a window on a longhaul J config, but a centre aisle in shorthaul config; as a couple, perhaps vice versa. But obviously every time they change configuration, the computer automatically reallocates you to something randomly different...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kt74
For my KUL booking next week MMB keeps changing its mind. Last week it was a long haul 333, this week it's a low J regional 333, today it's a high J regional 333. The return is currently calling itself a 773, but the seatmap looks suspiciously like a 340 (last month it was, depending on the day you checked, either a shorthaul or longhaul 773)

I think the reality is that for regional flights CX keeps changing its mind, which is irritating, because as a solo traveller, you may want a window on a longhaul J config, but a centre aisle in shorthaul config; as a couple, perhaps vice versa. But obviously every time they change configuration, the computer automatically reallocates you to something randomly different...
I usually check once a day or every couple of days in the week prior to departure of intra-Asia flights on routes where aircraft substitution is more common.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

When I left Dallas, I again checked Manage my Booking. Still showed 333.
When I got on the plane last night it was a 777 as expert flyer had said all week.
I still got the same seat that I had asked for, so worked out ok.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
When I got on the plane last night it was a 777 as expert flyer had said all week.
Ha! To be fair this is simply luck....EF doesn't know CX's operations better than CX. MMB is the correct source for this info, not the third party sites.

Rather, what occurred for you is CX did two separate equipment swaps one after the other. The first to the substitute aircraft, and the second one back to the originally scheduled aircraft.

In general, CX regional flights are pretty notorious for equipment swaps. Sometimes - as what occurred with your booking - multiple times.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ha! To be fair this is simply luck....EF doesn't know CX's operations better than CX.
I have to agree with this. I have never had an aircraft at the gate different from that displayed in MMB.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Sorry to resurrect. Didn't want to start a new thread. I have F booked for Saturday, July 9th HKG-BKK on 747. Looking at flight aware I don't see any 747 in the history. Will I likely lose my F seat? Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg0ire
Sorry to resurrect. Didn't want to start a new thread. I have F booked for Saturday, July 9th HKG-BKK on 747. Looking at flight aware I don't see any 747 in the history. Will I likely lose my F seat? Thanks.
The CX booking engine for that date and cabin (First) shows three flights that day scheduled for F cabins - 2 x 77W and 1 x 747.

Aircraft swaps can (and do) occur at short notice. I'd probably recommend you are at HKG in plenty of time before the first of those flights if you want to guarantee your F cabin.

CX will normally notify you if your cabin is no longer available, and they'll probably protect you in business class. You can ask them for another flight with F.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I suppose the timing of the flight is the most important factor. Just concerned that it shows my flight to be a 747 yet there is no history of it being flown on Saturdays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.