Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Round Trip Award with Only Outbound Confirmed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Bringing up this old thread, I'm booking a KUL-HKG-JFK/EWR return award trip, the outbound has confirmed seats but inbound is waitlisted. I'm wondering how they'd charge miles wise with only the outbound confirmed. I don't have any status on MCP.

I did a search and I've called Asia Miles twice but am getting conflicting answers.

Has anyone gone through this before? Will probably ticket next week and know for sure then...

Last edited by cxfan1960; Oct 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm Reason: Posted on a thread on different topic. Split to new thread.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by gameover98
Bringing up this old thread, I'm booking a KUL-HKG-JFK/EWR return award trip, the outbound has confirmed seats but inbound is waitlisted. I'm wondering how they'd charge miles wise with only the outbound confirmed. I don't have any status on MCP.

I did a search and I've called Asia Miles twice but am getting conflicting answers.

Has anyone gone through this before? Will probably ticket next week and know for sure then...
I believe under the new system you will be debited the standard one-way first, and, if the inbound clears, you will be debited the diff between one-way and round-trip.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by gameover98

I do mostly upgrade awards but once in a while full redemption. I encountered both cases:
* CX told me it will be automatically ticketed when cleared as long as I had miles in my account, and they did.
* CX told me to confirm ticketing upon waitlist clearing. In this case I called them to ticket, but sometimes they called me instead.
If you do ticket, make sure you do it before the ticketing deadline.

There are risks:
* If it is a full redemption, you may end up buying a one-way return that costs about the same as or even more than a RT.
* You may have to present a ticket to exit US when boarding the flight or entering US.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I believe under the new system you will be debited the standard one-way first, and, if the inbound clears, you will be debited the diff between one-way and round-trip.
Unsure of the new system, but as of about 20 months ago, my wife outbound upgrade was cleared but not the inbound. I ticketed the outbound for my wife (20K one-way). The inbound was cleared when she was in Hong Kong, and I ticketed another one-way for 20K. They told me to call them to refund the difference (20K + 20K - 30K = 10K) upon completion of her trip. I did that and they refunded the 10K difference. This is again an upgrade award. The extra miles required for the two one-way need to be in the account, or be enough to top up. They do not deduct the incremental miles. They refund the difference.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
New system? For my nephew's December school holidays booking I was deducted two one-ways and promised a refund when he flew the booking.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by percysmith
New system? For my nephew's December school holidays booking I was deducted two one-ways and promised a refund when he flew the booking.
Same for me - that can be a problem for those without enough AM, but for me, I believe I got 10K AM refreshed with a new expiration date.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960

Unsure of the new system, but as of about 20 months ago, my wife outbound upgrade was cleared but not the inbound. I ticketed the outbound for my wife (20K one-way). The inbound was cleared when she was in Hong Kong, and I ticketed another one-way for 20K. They told me to call them to refund the difference (20K + 20K - 30K = 10K) upon completion of her trip. I did that and they refunded the 10K difference. This is again an upgrade award. The extra miles required for the two one-way need to be in the account, or be enough to top up. They do not deduct the incremental miles. They refund the difference.

I can confirm that this is the current policy.
Points to be aware of:
1. whether the pax need a return ticket for immigration/visa/boarding purpose?
2. Do you have sufficient miles for 2 one-way before they credit the difference back after completion of the 2 one-way tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.