Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A chilly experience: frozen solid Haagen Dazs!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A chilly experience: frozen solid Haagen Dazs!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:30 pm
Suspended

NO it will be the water is too wet and no doubt someone will come up with an answer on how in his/her experience they know something different
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
When served ice cream in J, I always ask for coffee, drink it, then put the ice cream inside the cup and use the remaining heat to warm it up for consumption.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's the same on JL. As mentioned upthread, by serving it rock hard, that allows everyone to have it as hard/soft and as warm/cold as they want. IME you do'nt have to wait the whole 20-30 minutes. After not too long, the top layer will be soft enough to eat. Then, as you eat off the top layer and the next layer is exposed, that, too, hits the relatively warm cabin air and starts to soften.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:50 am
Uli

it is not different in F class. they have the "homemade" ice-cream as well usually ex HK which is slightly better.
if i order häagen-dasz, i will do so with my starter so it is ready when it is time to eat it
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
It says on the plastic seal to wait 5 minutes before eating to thaw.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Ice cream in F is at the right consistency ... a few months back I had a great green tea ice cream HND-HKG - I asked for seconds!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Wow I never imagined a thread like this would attract so many ice-cream connoisseurs!

Anyway I was indeed very patient on one of my flights (a rare feat) and can assure you that 10 minutes aren't sufficient to soften the ice-cream. Maybe it's the cabin air pressure or temperature...

Besides it's just plain sadistic for a nice ice-cream to be sitting in front of you and having to wait to consume it! 😅
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:37 am

I like it served rock solid. I'd eat it too fast otherwise
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
I found the key is to just scoop at the edges, where it is softer. Also, I sometimes wrap my hands around it (after wrapping it around my hot cup of tea) to warm it up faster.

The benefit is that it slows me down so I don't just stuff the entire frozen thing into my maw.

On the other hand, the water, though. /So wet./ Unbearable.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by phol
I like it served rock solid. I'd eat it too fast otherwise
My wife and I like rock solid for another reason - we can eat it without worrying about food poisoning.

I think we got poisoned in one of four lounges last night/this morning. At least we can eliminate the HD served in CX HND lounge cos it was served rock solid and without ice crystals.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 15, 2015 at 3:17 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kawaii
I found the key is to just scoop at the edges, where it is softer.
I tried this several times, but each time end up tearing the cup slightly and in the end ripped the whole thing apart in frustration... I'm just impatient with ice-cream - I want it and I want it NOW! 😁
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i find sitting on it for a few minutes helps...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
What's the big deal? Let it sit for a few minutes before enjoying your treat. I believe even the Haagen Daz packaging itself tells you to do that.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Holding the jar in your folded hands for 5 minutes solves it all. It is a non issue for me.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
My solution is to either wait 10 minutes to let it thaw or ask for a 1/4 cup of hot water and let the ice cream cup sit in there for a 2-3 minutes (if I'm too impatient).

It's not that big of a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.