Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[Off topic] Obtaining a US credit card when based in HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
I have moved some posts from another thread which discussed potential changes to the Marco Polo program. Since changes to the Marco Polo program could cause people to look at earning miles in a different program, I am allowing this off topic thread as it helps CX members look at their different mileage earning options in the case of a devaluation of the CX program.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Originally Posted by gemini573
I'd probably wait till the dust settles and then decide the course of action to take. It seems so many here are jumping ship to AA and you know there will be changes ahead with their program. And then what...find another program to jump ship to?
Fair. I still have a foot in the water. I've got 4 upcoming long-haul segments + 4 short haul segments on CX+KA. However, all the long-hauls are cheap J class fare bucket either D or I. I've spent perhaps $10k USD on CX this year so far plus a few award tickets, not sure how to value those. But definitely lower spend overall. My full fare long-haul travel this year so far has gone to BR, EK and SQ. Oops.

I won't quit CX/KA, it's virtually impossible for me even if CX eventually announces the downgrades we're anticipating. I'm based in HKG and I just don't want to avoid CX for leisure travel...somewhat ironic. Too much pain in the butt. For business it's easy to launch off from another Asian city. Not so much personal, especially when traveling with significant others.

Some time in the past, I wouldn't have blinked and given all my revenue blindly to CX (except for a brief blip in 2007-2009 when you couldn't guarantee a flat bed in CX J, and I was flying to Europe...in that case I'd go via BA in J, versus CX in F). It's not so much this thread that caused the change, but more the constant devaluation of the MPC program combined with the impressive gains CX's competitors have with their hard products.

If MPC ultimately restores some of those soft benefits like actually keeping award availability for DMs (or opening up revenue tickets), stopping the roulette game figuring out whether or not I can upgrade to F with Asia Miles (while selling F partner redemptions hands over fist), keeping seat block in economy, restoring the consistency of 6+ months ago when you were always recognized as a DM on board, etc. I'd probably go back to the way it was. CX has taken how good MPC is for granted, and forgotten that we were loyal because of MPC, not in spite of it.

And in the interim, I've signed up for an AA credit card and AAdvantage to get some miles over there, since it appears that's the smarter way to book CX F travel. Basically this thread was just a reality check that I was stupid to be so blindly loyal to CX when CX was cutting what I valued most (soft benefits) while competitors like BR were offering better and better hard product benefits, so the gap narrowed.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Originally Posted by QRC3288
And in the interim, I've signed up for an AA credit card and AAdvantage to get some miles over there, since it appears that's the smarter way to book CX F travel. Basically this thread was just a reality check that I was stupid to be so blindly loyal to CX when CX was cutting what I valued most (soft benefits) while competitors like BR were offering better and better hard product benefits, so the gap narrowed.
US SSN/income required?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
US SSN/income required?
yea, at least for the one I signed up for.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by percysmith
US SSN/income required?
If you are a citigold private client in HK, they can help arrange it for you to get one without SSN.....
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by tfung
If you are a citigold private client in HK, they can help arrange it for you to get one without SSN.....
It's gonna be hard. SSN is a government requirement. I asked HSBC and they couldn't do it.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ccyao
It's gonna be hard. SSN is a government requirement. I asked HSBC and they couldn't do it.
SSN is not a government requirement, it is a private-entity requirement that they want to run a credit check on you, to make sure your credit rating is good enough for their card. I have friends working for AMEX that said on some cards if your credit rating isn't 750+ they won't even consider you.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Quote:

SSN is not a government requirement, it is a private-entity requirement that they want to run a credit check on you, to make sure your credit rating is good enough for their card. I have friends working for AMEX that said on some cards if your credit rating isn't 750+ they won't even consider you.
I don't think either of you are 100% right. The problem here is HSBC, who have become much harder to work with since they got in trouble in various money laundering scandals and implemented more stringent internal controls for opening US accounts as a result. One consequence is that it's harder to open a US account with them without an SSN than I suspect it would be at other banks -- who also would be able to make a credit determination based on other accounts you might have with them overseas.

But now we're veering waaaaay OT.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I don't think either of you are 100% right. The problem here is HSBC, who have become much harder to work with since they got in trouble in various money laundering scandals and implemented more stringent internal controls for opening US accounts as a result. One consequence is that it's harder to open a US account with them without an SSN than I suspect it would be at other banks -- who also would be able to make a credit determination based on other accounts you might have with them overseas.

But now we're veering waaaaay OT.
But if you have 1M+ of assets/relationship balance, would you not be considered creditworthy?
(aside from the odd one who has much more than that in liabilities.)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum

And in the interim, I've signed up for an AA credit card and AAdvantage to get some miles over there, since it appears that's the smarter way to book CX F travel. .

Great idea. I just did the same. 50,000 miles sign up bonus, which is 40% of the way to the miles needed for a HKG - JFK RT ticket in F.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: CX MPC
Get US HSBC credit card using Hong Kong HSBC account?

The problem here is HSBC, who have become much harder to work with since they got in trouble in various money laundering scandals and implemented more stringent internal controls for opening US accounts as a result. One consequence is that it's harder to open a US account with them without an SSN than I suspect it would be at other banks -- who also would be able to make a credit determination based on other accounts you might have with them overseas.
Anyone have any recent experience of using their Hong Kong HSBC account to open an HSBC account in the US and get a US HSBC credit card together with that US account?

HSBC Premier is always advertised as allowing you to open HSBC banks accounts all over the world. And, from my experience, its normally routine to get HSBC credit cards in those countries together with those bank accounts. But would be interested to know if anyone has any recent experience doing this in the US?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by dgittings
Quote:

The problem here is HSBC, who have become much harder to work with since they got in trouble in various money laundering scandals and implemented more stringent internal controls for opening US accounts as a result. One consequence is that it's harder to open a US account with them without an SSN than I suspect it would be at other banks -- who also would be able to make a credit determination based on other accounts you might have with them overseas.

Anyone have any recent experience of using their Hong Kong HSBC account to open an HSBC account in the US and get a US HSBC credit card together with that US account?

HSBC Premier is always advertised as allowing you to open HSBC banks accounts all over the world. And, from my experience, its normally routine to get HSBC credit cards in those countries together with those bank accounts. But would be interested to know if anyone has any recent experience doing this in the US?
I do. It was a nightmare, partly because of US regulations but mainly because of HSBC's own internal controls. And I'm a premier customer. We didn't even apply for a credit card, but opening an account for a non-citizen with no green card required a series of mammoth arguments, including one just to get them to accept the paperwork.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
There were other FT forum with threads about Citi Gold vs HSBC Premier.

It seems like a lot of people got refused when they were physically in their new destination country. At least it can not be done without a few arguments.

Last December I walked into a Citi Branch in Japan to wire some cash to a Japanese local account, a guy guided me to an ATM/Cashpoint saying my UK Citi bank card would do, after much effort without succeeding, he gave up and send me to a bank clerk, bank clerk then told me it can not be done without a JP Citibank account, even though I have local resident permit and local driving licence. (I'm sure you can just walk into any branch and ask for physical cash to be transfer into any account, even a foreign one)

I told them as an UK Citi gold, I can transfer money worldwide without fee, and withdraw money at JP Citibank, what they are saying doesn't make sense (I know what I said was nonsense, I was just pressing hard to get it done), after several phone calls, they told me they can do it for me as an UK Citi Gold.

It is not something that local branches do everyday, and they would try to get away by telling you "no, it can not be done", it is best to let your relationship manager from your country of origin to initiate the opening process, and give you a contact at your destination country.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
And in the interim, I've signed up for an AA credit card and AAdvantage to get some miles over there, since it appears that's the smarter way to book CX F travel.
Hopefully you got the Citi AA Exec, because all of the other Citi AA cards carry a 3% FTF.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I wasn't making a hypothetical statement... I actually did it last year and they got me a Citi AA Exec World elite card.. even managed to waive the annual fee as well...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by tfung
I wasn't making a hypothetical statement... I actually did it last year and they got me a Citi AA Exec World elite card.. even managed to waive the annual fee as well...
you must be VIP or some sort.. this is the first time I heard they waive fee for AA Exec world elite ($450). I am US base, and citigold for more than a decade, they never agree to waive the fee for me (my World Elite permanently waived though) Well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.