Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding passes at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Boarding passes at JFK

Now, I'm going to leave from JFK to HKG. Last time I was on the same flight and they ripped the boarding pass..... I want to keep the pass as a souvenir.

Therefore, I need to ask, does anybody know if JFK Cathay staff rip the boarding passes? Is it possible to keep the ripped portion?

My flight is CX 845 (red eye flight).

Thank you.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I believe they keep the large portion to reconcile boarding.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:27 am

It's been quite some time since I've flown a CX flight where they will rip the boarding pass and only let you keep the smaller half. But it does happen every once in a while.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Ripping BP can be station dependent, airline dependent or country dependent.

Mainland I believe everything, most of 3rd world does the same.
MH always seems to rip too.
AA/YYZ is the same.

You want an extra bp, either 1) ask at counter for an extra or 2) say you lost it about 1 hr prior at the gate and you need a duplicate.

Or you can OLCI, don't show at the counter and ask for a bp at the check-in counter and when you board, let them rip the OLCI copy instead.

Just a couple ways to do it

If it's mainland, make sure you do it the right way or you will piss off China Immigration and possibly get Denied Boarding.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I recalled them ripped mine last time I flew.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Depends on a per passenger basis as well. Sometimes for certain pax if a message pops up on the screen, they will rip the boarding pass even if they are not doing so for other pax in general.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Ripping BP can be station dependent, airline dependent or country dependent.

Mainland I believe everything, most of 3rd world does the same.
MH always seems to rip too.
AA/YYZ is the same.

You want an extra bp, either 1) ask at counter for an extra or 2) say you lost it about 1 hr prior at the gate and you need a duplicate.

Or you can OLCI, don't show at the counter and ask for a bp at the check-in counter and when you board, let them rip the OLCI copy instead.

Just a couple ways to do it

If it's mainland, make sure you do it the right way or you will piss off China Immigration and possibly get Denied Boarding.
But there's OLCI available at JFK? I thought only HK and some other mostly Asian airports do that.

I just want to keep my boarding pass as a souvenir, they didn't rip off the portion when I boarded in HKG so I wish they didn't take away the big portion when I leave from JFK......
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

In HKG, they scan the passes and let you keep the entire portion. I really liked that!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:01 pm

JFK usually just leaves you with the stub.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Samuel72991
Now, I'm going to leave from JFK to HKG. Last time I was on the same flight and they ripped the boarding pass..... I want to keep the pass as a souvenir.

Therefore, I need to ask, does anybody know if JFK Cathay staff rip the boarding passes? Is it possible to keep the ripped portion?

My flight is CX 845 (red eye flight).

Thank you.
Check in. Go to lounge. Lose your BP. Ask for them to print another one. Miraculously find the "lost" ticket while over Canada.

Easy enough.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:36 pm

A bit OT but in Manila, they rip off the small portion while you get to keep the big portion.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:41 pm

Most hilariously AA staff don't even bother ripping the boarding pass properly, they'll just tear it up in half casually as if its a wasted piece of paper and you will get half of the boarding pass back with an ugly edge.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:14 pm

I've "lost" the boarding pass before at JFK. No problem getting a new one.

Taking a picture these days suffices for me - since they end up fading anyways.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
I've "lost" the boarding pass before at JFK. No problem getting a new one.

Taking a picture these days suffices for me - since they end up fading anyways.
Yea, that's what I noticed to my boarding pass in 2013, it has sadly faded!!! I'm getting it laminated this time!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Check in. Go to lounge. Lose your BP. Ask for them to print another one. Miraculously find the "lost" ticket while over Canada.

Easy enough.
So you mean, just ask the staff standing next to the boarding gate to print another BP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.