Wiki Posts
Search

New KA tablet entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
New KA tablet entertainment system

Perhaps this is new on KA or perhaps we were given them only because we were in the first row of business with the bulkhead in front of us. I don't travel enough on KA to know. I think the former because I was able to download the StudioKA app for use on the flight a day or so ahead of the flight.

I wasn't overly impressed when using the app. You can start watching the IFE on your device well before taxi etc, but each time you get interrupted by a PA announcement I found that I had to restart the movie or TV show, there was no remembering where you were so you had to watch the StudioKA thing each time and select language etc before you got to select the same TV show again. That I thought was an irritating drawback. In the end I gave up after 3 or 4 PA announcements and watched a DVD on my laptop.

The device they give you is an Ipad and it took two of the crew members to jam it into the holder on the bulkhead because that was designed for the Ipad but the Ipad was in a case which we couldn't remove to make it fit. Make sure then earphone jack is on the bottom left and it does fit into the holder with some persuasion by the crew.

It was a short flight so no movies were shown to be available but if you selected Other Media on the Ipad you found movies.

It's an interesting idea if it's new on KA (and as I say I think it's new only because the StudioKA app came out - to us anyway - a couple of days ahead of the flight), but the implementation could be better I think. The constant resetting of the programme on your own device because of the PA announcements was definitely frustrating!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
This system will only be used on A320 due to wiring limitation

I tried it once with my own iPhone with the app but didn't have such problem
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I downloaded the app, but I have yet to actually sit on the sole A320 with this.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
This system will only be used on A320 due to wiring limitation

I tried it once with my own iPhone with the app but didn't have such problem
That is a lane excuse...
Lots of carriers have IFE on A320's
Wiring limitation...
What next
No food on A320 due to galley limitation?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Kachjc
What next
No you'll still get food and drink, just need to bring your own plate, utensils, and tray.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kachjc
That is a lane excuse...
Lots of carriers have IFE on A320's
Wiring limitation...
What next
With many western airlines ditching food for short regional flights, I would not be surprise if CX follows suit.

By the way, I think the "food service" HKG-TPE-HKG route is a complete disgrace. They just throw you a box of sandwich and a box of oolong tea. What a joke. And everytime I asked for a replacement drink I'm given the standard "wait please" and NEVER return, I had to ask a second time, and once they even had the nerve to tell me they ran out of Coke. Are you kidding me? I know CX treats this route as a gimmick route with cheap fares, but still, I feel like flying a discount airline with this level of disservice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.