Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay knows how to treat a One World Emerald member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Singapore

A few years ago I used to be Marco polo diamond but a friend pointed out that the BA programme was better for earning and attaining status so have have been a One World Emerald via BA ever since. I do a few BA flights every year but go out of my way to do Cathay long haul.

What happened this week is typical of Cathay and I think it should be mentioned on here especially as I see rightly that people are able to criticise Cathay when they get it wrong.

On Monday my daughter and I boarded a Sing-Hong Kong flight. The senior cabin person (black uniform) came to welcome me and ask would we like a bottle of water and ten looking at me said "perhaps a little stronger" and produced 2 glasses of champagne from business class. The service was excellent, the senior crew member came back and produced more wine, peanuts, ice cream etc.

Then returning on my own the check in lady said she was blocking the seat next to me and would I like an extra leg room emergency seat or further forward but not bulkhead? On arriving into the Wing F class lounge with a 3 hour wait the lady asked if I wanted to move to the earlier flight if she could get me into it? I moved and she blocked the seat beside me. Then I had the senior crew member do the water/drinks/service thing on board.

I mainly fly in business but the above is fairly typical of cathay whereas on BA seat blocking, flight changing, personal greeting backed up with water/wine tec is very rare.

Then add in the food, the odd upgrade and I have to say Cathay is excellent especially to somebody with a status on another airline.
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
+1. I think CX does an excellent job with treating OWEs and IME they're the best in the alliance
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
+2. That is why Cathay got all of this OWE's long haul flying even if routing through them adds a little bit of travel time.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
CX does treat OWEs very well. Were you in economy that flight? Champagne and greeting by ISM were unusual though.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
CX does treat OWEs very well. Were you in economy that flight? Champagne and greeting by ISM were unusual though.
I've heard of ISM greetings, but Champagne or extra perks is VERY unusual, even for DMs
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318
I've heard of ISM greetings, but Champagne or extra perks is VERY unusual, even for DMs
It really depends on ISM, if you get a friendly ISM you will get perks, if you get an indifferent ISM they will say hi and bye and you never see any difference.

Over the years I've been DM, here are the extra perks I've received (I've never asked for them, and keep in mind it's over the years so please don't expect all of this on your next flight):

J class snacked offered
PEY food offered
F class soup offered (Lobster Bisque)
Champagne or any beverages of my choosing from J class
J class fruits
on-board curtesy upgrade
pre-landing curtesy upgrade

that's what I can think of based on my past experiences, again keep in mind these things happened in years, i.e. over 50 long-haul flights
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Despite my username, when I fly First Class TransPac I go w/ CX rather than AA! :-)
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
It really depends on ISM, if you get a friendly ISM you will get perks, if you get an indifferent ISM they will say hi and bye and you never see any difference.

Over the years I've been DM, here are the extra perks I've received (I've never asked for them, and keep in mind it's over the years so please don't expect all of this on your next flight):

J class snacked offered
PEY food offered
J class fruits
on-board curtesy upgrade

that's what I can think of based on my past experiences, again keep in mind these things happened in years, i.e. over 50 long-haul flights
You got F soup in Y? That must've been a really nice ISM
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I probably use them about 4 times per year regionally in economy including this week. Yes the champagne was unusual but I always get a greeting and offered a bottle of evian. But it is the blocked seat and ease of shifting flights that are the real benefits over other One World operators who are usually very inflexible
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Janeobarty
I probably use them about 4 times per year regionally in economy including this week. Yes the champagne was unusual but I always get a greeting and offered a bottle of evian. But it is the blocked seat and ease of shifting flights that are the real benefits over other One World operators who are usually very inflexible
I don't know if the ISM still greets OWE in Y anymore. Usually the FPs for the cabin do that instead of the ISM.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I don't know if the ISM still greets OWE in Y anymore. Usually the FPs for the cabin do that instead of the ISM.
The lady with the black top?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I found that when the ISM is a woman, you get the nice gestures and friendly greetings. I have never ever been greeted when the ISM is a man, in any class. Perhaps they think they're too high and mighty for the job? Whereas on MH, the senior purser (man) came round and thanked everyone for flying with them (days before MH370 and MH 17).

My best experience as a OWE member was when I received a double upgrade from Y to F flying from HKG to LAX back in 2000.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 8, 2014 at 6:29 am
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I found that when the ISM is a woman, you get the nice gestures and friendly greetings. I have never ever been greeted when the ISM is a man, in any class. Perhaps they think they're too high and mighty for the job? Whereas on MH, the senior purser (man) came round and thanked everyone for flying with them (days before MH370 and MH 17).

My best experience as a OWE member was when I received a double upgrade from Y to F flying from HKG to LAX back in 2000.
agree for the most part, though i have seen relatively young male ISM's come up and talk like 'buddies' like with a wink to the wife and a 'oh the boss is here - allright, we'll do our best!'.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

J class snacked offered
PEY food offered
J class fruits
on-board curtesy upgrade

What is a pre-landing upgrade? Is that being allowed to sit in a more forward cabin just prior to landing?

Agree that CX shows better elite recognition when I'm in steerage than my host program (AA).
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper
What is a pre-landing upgrade? Is that being allowed to sit in a more forward cabin just prior to landing?

Agree that CX shows better elite recognition when I'm in steerage than my host program (AA).
Yes, after the second meal the ISM comes over and say I have the option to sit up for landing, of course I take it, moved up to an empty J seat, usually an hour left of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.