Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Econ being shrunk

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
not surprising, they haven't done enough to differentiate W from Y and demonstrate a value for money. to me this signifies PE is failing on medium haul, they should consider a price drop rather than a reconfig really...

Y is already a very good product so I think its difficult to justify paying a lot more for a little more leg room without significantly better catering or cabin service and with not dedicated toilet/no access to J toilet on 330.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver)
As someone who has travelled in W on an A330 (and will again shortly) I feel like an endangered species.
I guess the value of W depends on how much you feel the need for the extra space.
I regularly fly LHR-PER. In the old days of the BA-QF service agreement I craved the space LHR-SIN, but could do without it for the SIN-PER leg.
Nowdays the only one stop W (within Oneworld) option is via HKG. With the PER leg now up to eight hours I want the extra space. The fact that the CX all W option cost about the same as the old BA/QF W+Y is merely a bonus.
Mind you I dream of being able to get W for a Y plus 50 % fare. Ex UK it is about double
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by sxc
Also QF prices their PEY better than CX so for people who don't mind flying via SYD it's a better deal.
While I try to be agreeable, QF's prices for the August dates I used earlier (about a month away) even in Y+ Sale are more than CX's (ie AU$4600) and that's with Y seating PER-SYD.

From SYD to the USA, CX is likely to be more expensive as HKG would be too far out of the way when compared with the direct flights. Some of us suspect that QF's attitude to PER passengers can be summed up by examining the number of international flights QF now has from PER. (ie most days = zero)

In the end CX (like QF) will only price their flights in response to competition. From the USA there is competition and therefore lower prices.

[end rant] and back to happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Fred - I'm looking ex-HKG so I guess this reflects respective market power.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Cutting Premium Economy seats on Australian Routes

Interesting read here

http://z.wandr.me/XAtMhX

So good route to score Y to J upgrade
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
CX hasn't announced which routes will have W completely cut and which will have the shrink. India to HKG is even shorter than Australia to HKG so there's no need for it. The only reason for it to India is the connecting market to the USA/Canada.

This also has the benefit of increasing capacity for routes that long haul 333s fly regionally between their turns (e.g. MNL, TPE, BKK etc.).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mafai
Interesting read here

http://z.wandr.me/XAtMhX

So good route to score Y to J upgrade
"There will soon be a regional fleet of 10 aircraft without the Premium Economy cabin at all. These planes will operate on even regional routes where the demand for extra personal space is lowered by the shorter stage length."

Isn't there 12 regional A333s already http://www.flyerguide.com/Cathay_Pacific_(CX)_Fleet#33Z ?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by sscywong
It mentioned that CX will gradually change all 33G to W14... I guess demand of PEY for Aust routes (only serve by 330) are not that high?
Originally Posted by chongcao
Also there is problem of traffic right...I heard CX is near the limit of seats can be offered on SYD routes [please correct me if there are anyone have more info]. In the condition of keeping current frequencies and seats limitation, maybe increase Y seats are the only way to achieve this (to maximise the seats offered while not change aircraft and frequencies). I guess CX knows with the drama of Jetstar HKG, CX is unlikely to get additional traffic rights, no?
The limit seems to be on the number of flights, not on the number of seats - which is why CX are changing one of their daily flights to SYD into a 77W flight
http://www.businesstraveller.asia/as...sydney-service
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: CX Gold
(Please excuse myself as this is my first post here)

I reckon they are keeping the PE on the 330s for Australia route as there seems to be good demands on those seats in my experience (not sure if many are op-up)

As some said, those cuts were probably meant for Indian routes?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Not surprised at all. The people that has money will fly J. The people that don't have money to burn will fly Y. Y+ is always a very interesting segment of the market. It caters to people that don't have money to burn but has enough disposable cash to use on Y+.

And yes, the short "long-haul" makes a difference too. Flying 12-15 hours the motivation to spend another $1000 USD to make the flight experience better is worth it. Anything below 10 hours people's psychology is probably more of "I can sit this out". Again, people with marginal disposable cash may be willing to pay double Y fare for 12+ hours, but they would think it's a waste to pay double Y fare for less flight hours.

Of course, this also depends on the price premium of PEY over standard economy. Every time I've flown PEY (which has been on BA, Cathay and Eva Air) the price premium for the same flights I was going to take anyway was between 20% and 50%. Cathay has been unrealistic with some of they PEY prices on some routes and put it significantly higher than standard economy and not a whole lot cheaper than business. If they are having trouble selling PEY on some routes I'd look at pricing rather than take out seats.
I'm a bit late to this thread.

However as a premium economy convert for personal and family travel, paid for by myself, I'm not sure I agree with the above.

I find standard economy flights over a few hours length hell on earth. Longhaul standard economy would be abysmal. I really dread long flights in economy class; the whole thought of it starts to bother me a week or two before the flight. So does my wife and I know we are not alone in thinking this.

The gap in comfort, quality and price between standard economy and business class is just too large. It is either an uncomfortable 1 square foot of upright seating and shared armrests or it is a lie flat bed. And the price difference is about a factor of four (I know it can be less than 4x, but comparing equally flexible tickets and flying when you want to fly, not when you can get the cheapest ticket). So you need premium economy.

The gap in price between PEY and business class is also large. Particularly when you are a family and so are buying 3 or 4 tickets. 4 tickets x US$1,500 (say) fare difference is a serious amount of cash to expend on a few hours of additional comfort. So you can't say "the people who have money will fly J". I suspect few people in J are paying for the ticket themselves. The people who have money actually fly premium economy.

Last edited by creampuff; Aug 7, 2014 at 4:11 am
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:12 am

Of course, this also depends on the price premium of PEY over standard economy. Every time I've flown PEY (which has been on BA, Cathay and Eva Air) the price premium for the same flights I was going to take anyway was between 20% and 50%. Cathay has been unrealistic with some of they PEY prices on some routes and put it significantly higher than standard economy and not a whole lot cheaper than business. If they are having trouble selling PEY on some routes I'd look at pricing rather than take out seats.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Interesting approach from QANTAS to Premium Economy. They see little demand for it on the Asian routes. See article here:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-sees-...conomy-to-asia

Last edited by ieuan1; Aug 7, 2014 at 10:35 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by creampuff
I'm a bit late to this thread.
I suspect few people in J are paying for the ticket themselves. The people who have money actually fly premium economy.
You just made a case why they should ditch premium economy. You said it yourself, flying Y is hell, and for casual rich flyers they may justify paying extra for once in a awhile trip overseas at very high prices because they can afford it, and they don't do it often so forking over thousands more isn't a big pinch to their wallet.

So by your logic and airlines actually loses out, I am in the belief that these rich folks would pay extra to fly comfort rather than suffer in Y to save some money that they can afford anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
You just made a case why they should ditch premium economy. You said it yourself, flying Y is hell, and for casual rich flyers they may justify paying extra for once in a awhile trip overseas at very high prices because they can afford it, and they don't do it often so forking over thousands more isn't a big pinch to their wallet.

So by your logic and airlines actually loses out, I am in the belief that these rich folks would pay extra to fly comfort rather than suffer in Y to save some money that they can afford anyway.
Errrm but you are assuming these passengers who will supposedly, if given the choice between standard-Y and J with no PEY offering will choose J.

I don't think they would. I've got a quite reasonable job in a first world country. I've got an average sized family. Longhaul business class flights for all of us (and not some silly multiple stop routing or traveling when you don't actually want to travel just to make J cheaper) would cost about US$16,000 a go. Call it about a US$12,000 increase on standard economy or a US$9-10,000 increase on PEY. Despite having a reasonble job and ordinary sized family, I'd say that is a significant chunk of change. If I paid business class, it would mean I'd have to compromise something else in my budget.

So if I'm paying privately for multiple tickets out of my one income, then J is too expensive.

If I'm only flying by myself, then I may think J prices are OK but I may also think PEY is a substantial increase in comfort over Y and a lot less money than J.

There are always exceptions but I think people willing to spend US$4,000 on full business class if they are paying it themselves are a tiny minority and you would find far, far more people willing to pay a smaller premium for PEY.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I fly about 4~6 times a year from TPE to the Middle East via HKG. I noticed that PEY (E) is priced almost exactly the same as standard Economy (M), sometimes even a few dollars cheaper. Very often when I can't book far enough ahead for the cheapest possible club miles fares (V, L), I would just book PEY (E) instead of paying the virtually the same or higher fare for Y (M, B, H). For some reason on the HKG-DXB or HKG-RUH routes PEY is often more than half empty.

For 10 hour flights such as HKG ~ RUH, the comfort level contrast between PEY and Y is greatly appreciated, not to mention the good possibility of getting oped up to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.