Search

Legitimate oneworld award routing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, SQ PPS, TG Gold, QR Plat, SPG Plat
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards

Dear FTs

I am looking for some inspiration. Last year I did the following RTW trip using the onwworld multi-carrier award program :

Singapore - Colombo - Amman - London - Toronto - Hong Kong - Singapore

It was a fantastic trip and I would like to explore something along the lines (starting and ending in Singapore) this year but would like your thoughts on possible itinerary.

I would love to include Istanbul, Dubai or other Mid East destination and yes, Toronto in Dec - what was I thinking!

Look forward to all suggestions!

Regards, JJ
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Easy. I assume you live in Singapore.

Singapore - Doha# - Dubai* - Doha* - Istanbul* (on Qatar Airways)
Istanbul - London# - Toronto* (on British Airways)
Toronto - Hong Kong* - Singapore (on Cathay Pacific Airways)

You're allowed five stopovers (marked * above), two transfers (marked #) and two open-jaws.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:02 am

Legitimate oneworld award routing?

Hi all,

good day. Would like to check if the following is a legitimate oneworld routing and appreciate any advise.

ORD-JFK (stopover)
JFK-SFO (open-jaw)
TPE-HKG(transfer)-SIN(stopover)
SIN-KUL(transfer)-CMB (stopover)
CMB-KUL(transfer)-SIN(open-jaw)
MKE-ORD, end of journey

When UL joins, I would likely swap MH out for UL, just because they have better timings for me. Is that possible? I understood this would costs me 10,000 pts per segment I change or is it 10,000 pts to re-issue the remaining flights again. Or is this not possible after I have flown the first segment and even changing I can change only within the same airline?

TIA.

Cheers.

Last edited by waver99; Mar 22, 2014 at 6:47 am
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
unless you can successfully fight them not to double count your open jaws as stopovers, its illegal cuz you have 3stopovers (ok), 2 open-jaws(which some agent also sees this as 2 stopovers on top, ie, 5), and 3 transits (not ok unless OJ doesnt double count as SO and 1 of these transits can be seen as SO).

PS: I've never tried, but that's the theory.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by waver99
Hi all,

good day. Would like to check if the following is a legitimate oneworld routing and appreciate any advise.

ORD-JFK (stopover)
JFK-SFO (open-jaw)
TPE-HKG(transfer)-SIN(stopover)
SIN-KUL(transfer)-CMB (stopover)
CMB-KUL(transfer)-SIN(open-jaw)
MKE-ORD, end of journey

When UL joins, I would likely swap MH out for UL, just because they have better timings for me. Is that possible? I understood this would costs me 10,000 pts per segment I change or is it 10,000 pts to re-issue the remaining flights again. Or is this not possible after I have flown the first segment and even changing I can change only within the same airline?

TIA.

Cheers.
You cannot change airline without cancelling the ticket and issue it again.
To cancel the ticket, it has to be completely unused, and costs you 12,000 points or 120USD.

http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms?#24

The routing should be valid, yet the issue brought up by Kaka is a concern - you have to find an agent not to double count your openjaw.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:31 am

The issue I see with this itinerary is there are 3 transfers - in my experience only 2 are allowed on Oneworld awards.

Once UL join could you do SIN-CMB?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airman Biggles
The issue I see with this itinerary is there are 3 transfers - in my experience only 2 are allowed on Oneworld awards.

Once UL join could you do SIN-CMB?
you can always ticket transfers as stopovers (i personally would always try to do that for flexibility.... except some airports i really dont want to pay departure tax (like in the UK)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
(i've redeemed lots of these ... so many i've lost count)

1. open jaws don't count as stopovers.
2. you can make a transfer into a stopover. choose the city with lowest taxes/fees.
3. you can't change the airline and pay reissuing fee. you need to cancel the whole ticket and rebook.

your itinerary looks fine to me.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
3. you can't change the airline and pay reissuing fee. you need to cancel the whole ticket and rebook.
not disputing you, but i've once tried to fight it cuz one time the ticket says "valid on cx/ka/aa/ba/........ (all OW airlines)" so i used that to fight.

then again the latest OW award doesnt have that anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by kaka
not disputing you, but i've once tried to fight it cuz one time the ticket says "valid on cx/ka/aa/ba/........ (all OW airlines)" so i used that to fight.

then again the latest OW award doesnt have that anymore.
kaka - i don't mind you disputing me!

i tried doing it at least twice in the last few years (changing a LHR-Madrid flight from IB to BA, for example - i tried it for my CNY 2014 trip) - they wouldn't let me do it.

what you mentioned is a good idea - i hadn't realized the "valid on ..." - i'll keep that in mind.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I dont hve a clue about the ticketing onto another carrier bit, but had seen this advice on FT (think it was Guy Betsy) - 'politely but firmly ask them to put it in the system and it'll go through' - worked the one time i had a problem (using a stopover allowance for a transit) - and they didn't even bat an eyelid the other time i used the 'stopover' for a transit.

BTW OP, since you're stopping over in TPE, and only transiting KUL, you could do TPE-oHKG-oSIN-oCMB on CX all the way..MH would be narrowbodies for this routing, while CX will likely have the new regional biz seats...or, buy a an exTPE discounted biz fare to SIN/CMB..

FWIW (OT), i've redeemed for: SFO-xHKG-oDEL-xKUL-oSIN-xHKG-SFO//SJU-xDFW-SFO

I got a call back a day later that 'ticketing says this is invalid as you've returned to SFO, the origin', to which i showed an earlier redemption:
LAX-oLIM-oEZE//GRU-xLIM-oLAX-oSFO-LAX

and the apologetic agent accepted that 'return to origin and then travel beyond is fine..will remind ticketing'
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
kaka - i don't mind you disputing me!

i tried doing it at least twice in the last few years (changing a LHR-Madrid flight from IB to BA, for example - i tried it for my CNY 2014 trip) - they wouldn't let me do it.

what you mentioned is a good idea - i hadn't realized the "valid on ..." - i'll keep that in mind.
i said that cuz i think the line is no longer there in the new system... i've checked on my last award with the new system
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jagmeets
I dont hve a clue about the ticketing onto another carrier bit, but had seen this advice on FT (think it was Guy Betsy) - 'politely but firmly ask them to put it in the system and it'll go through' - worked the one time i had a problem (using a stopover allowance for a transit) - and they didn't even bat an eyelid the other time i used the 'stopover' for a transit.

BTW OP, since you're stopping over in TPE, and only transiting KUL, you could do TPE-oHKG-oSIN-oCMB on CX all the way..MH would be narrowbodies for this routing, while CX will likely have the new regional biz seats...or, buy a an exTPE discounted biz fare to SIN/CMB..

FWIW (OT), i've redeemed for: SFO-xHKG-oDEL-xKUL-oSIN-xHKG-SFO//SJU-xDFW-SFO

I got a call back a day later that 'ticketing says this is invalid as you've returned to SFO, the origin', to which i showed an earlier redemption:
LAX-oLIM-oEZE//GRU-xLIM-oLAX-oSFO-LAX

and the apologetic agent accepted that 'return to origin and then travel beyond is fine..will remind ticketing'
works for Oneworld award - i've asked to check HKG-ICN/GMP-KIX-HKG-BKK-HKG is OK (as long as you put RJ and JL in for the 2 non CX/KA airline)
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:08 am

Is this a valid oneworld multi carrier award?

Asking the gurus here - and adopting Psychiatrist's abbreviations above -

DME - HKG*- DOH* (on CX) //
TVL- AMM# - DXB# (on RJ)
DXB - HKG* (on CX)
HKG - LHR (on BA)

My question mainly is whether one can start at DME and finish in, eg, LHR as the example above. Yet the conditions include the possibility of openjaw at origin.

Thank you.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:26 am

Looks ok to me - although I haven't had experience with open jaw at the origin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.