Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Wing-let - a lounge for any questions and discussions [NEWBIE QUESTIONS WELCOME]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Welcome to The Wing-let - a lounge to discuss any topics.

This is a place for newbie questions, any topics semi-related to Cathay Pacific, where everyone is welcome to ask and discuss.

No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Cathay Pacific you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here. Feel free to post here without fear of retribution for not using search.

As with the rest of FlyerTalk, discussions here should be constructive, courteous without aggression or personal attacks.

If anyone feels a good topic is posted here that should be broken out into a separate thread, please use the red triangle to report the post, and it will be considered for its own thread.
Print Wikipost

The Wing-let - a lounge for any questions and discussions [NEWBIE QUESTIONS WELCOME]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 5:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MeeToo
I'm wondering, Why would Cathay only offer business class and no first class on a 777 from ORD-HKG? Only 2 flights are showing up when searching for award tix on BA, and flight CX0805 shows the message "cabin not operated on this flight" is under the FC column.
Be cause CX has determined that there isn't enough premium traffic to justify putting an aircraft with F on this route. Even some flights on some premium routes such as LHR sometimes don't have F.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Be cause CX has determined that there isn't enough premium traffic to justify putting an aircraft with F on this route. Even some flights on some premium routes such as LHR sometimes don't have F.
Thanks. Do you know if these would be lie flat seats? Is there a difference between biz class on a 3 class cabin and a 2 class cabin in a case like this?
Old May 14, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: CX DM
Thanks. Do you know if these would be lie flat seats? Is there a difference between biz class on a 3 class cabin and a 2 class cabin in a case like this?
No difference, all long haul CX business class seats are lie-flat. (The ones on 744s are of the older herringbone generation, which doesn't concern you since ORD is always served by the newer 77Ws.)
Old May 14, 2014, 11:16 pm
Suspended

I'm wondering, Why would Cathay only offer business class and no first class on a 777 from ORD-HKG? Only 2 flights are showing up when searching for award tix on BA, and flight CX0805 shows the message "cabin not operated on this flight" is under the FC column.
Simple, and you answered your own question too.
Because there isn't enough demand for it, people will only redeem for it with their BA/AA points.

It's actually 4 and 3 class cabin, respectively.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:34 am

figuring out what equipment for CX702 BKK-HKG

I'm trying to ID what equipment will be used for CX702 BKK-HKG...

I've tried seatguru and it shows 77W-ER but when I click on the link it takes me to a 773 page.

On the CX page it shows 77W and then when I click on it - there are 4 options.

777-300ER (77W/77G)
777-300ER (77W/77H)
777-300 (77W/73Z)
777-300 (773/773)

When I search 1st class for this route...this is the only available flight option that comes up.

This is the only non A333 used for this route and I'm trying to determine if CX702 has a first class product.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by bg26892; May 16, 2014 at 11:40 am Reason: added more info
Old May 16, 2014, 9:43 pm

was able to find it myself by emailing CX.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bg26892
was able to find it myself by emailing CX.
.......and what they say? IIRC this route runs on a mixture of aircraft depending on the season + day of the week. YMMV. If you want F for sure, go with TG (..and I think EK?)
Old May 17, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
.......and what they say? IIRC this route runs on a mixture of aircraft depending on the season + day of the week. YMMV. If you want F for sure, go with TG (..and I think EK?)
They confirmed it was a 773-ER. Hope they don't throw an equipment change on me ^
Old May 18, 2014, 8:50 am

Hi,

I've re-qualified for BA Gold and plan to credit my excess OW flying this year to my currently dormant MPC Green/AsiaMiles account. Am also planning to use my Amex Plat to comp that account to MPC Gold - however I understand from reading the Amex-CX Gold thread that the comp can take weeks.

So my newbie question is will any flights/sectors which I fly/credit prior to the comp coming thru be credited towards maintaining Gold (or reaching DM), or will the clock effectively start only when the Gold comp is initiated?

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milehighj
Am also planning to use my Amex Plat to comp that account to MPC Gold - however I understand from reading the Amex-CX Gold thread that the comp can take weeks.
What country is your Amex issued? AFIK, this benefit is long gone...across all markets.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:54 pm

I have a flight from HKg-LAX-SJC, would i have any lounge access in the Int'l terminals once I land at LAX?
Old May 19, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by kaiotes
I have a flight from HKg-LAX-SJC, would i have any lounge access in the Int'l terminals once I land at LAX?
What is your class of travel and/or oneworld status?

I suspect it's a no-go for the lounge at TBIT since you might not be able to get back through security if your onward flight isn't from that terminal. So off to the Admirals Club in AA's terminal.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82

I suspect it's a no-go for the lounge at TBIT since you might not be able to get back through security if your onward flight isn't from that terminal. So off to the Admirals Club in AA's terminal.
Right now, your best bet is the AA Admirals Club in T4 (assuming that you have the requisite class of travel and/or status level). That said, LAX is in the process of building a connector from T4 to TBIT. I can't find anything saying what the status of that is, or an expected completion date, so don't plan on there being one. You could buy a refundable ticket to get into TBIT, but it's probably not worth it.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:16 am

i dont have status on any airline.
I just booked award ticket. I forgot to mention that i am flying in 1st class. I know there's the arrival lounge if I'm at HKG but not sure if it applies landing stateside.

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82

Old May 19, 2014, 8:03 pm

i dont have status on any airline.
I just booked award ticket. I forgot to mention that i am flying in 1st class. I know there's the arrival lounge if I'm at HKG but not sure if it applies landing stateside.
There's no arrival lounge (as far as I know, anyway) in LAX. Here's what happens in the US when arriving internationally: you'll land, deplane, and go through customs and immigrations, at which point you'll be dumped out in the US. Last time I went through, it was simplest just to walk to to T4 (adjacent to TBIT) and check in there. As a F passenger, you can use the F check in area all the way to the left end of the lobby (left when viewing the terminal looking from the street). There you'll drop your bags off, get your boarding passes if you need them, and clear security. Then you'll hang around until your SJC flight. Right now, there's no post-security connector back to TBIT, but you'll have access to the AA Flagship Lounge, which is the F lounge (i.e. a step above the paid membership Admirals Club).

I don't be mean to be condescending, and I apologize if my post comes off that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.