Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Khor Han Wei
Adding a data point here.

PVG - HKG on 8th March. Booking was 7pm but I arrived early to catch the 9am flight instead as I was on flex fare. Lady at the counter made some calls and was issued a boarding pass for Premium Economy. Proceed to the gate and found out was upgraded to J instead, all the way to the front of the plane at row 11.

On 10th, similar happened with flex fare, went to check in HKG-CDG at the machine and was issued a boarding pass for PEY at 32F. Went through customs and had a nice supper at The Pier and went to my gate, was checking my phone and I noticed the app showing me my seat have been changed to 23D. When I refreshed it, it suddenly switched to my original Y seat which was 40K, so I was thinking probably I have been op-down back to my original booking. Surprise surprise, when I was at the gate they bumped me up to J at 23D. F and J was full, and I suspect the rest of the plane as well.

So basically I booked Y but was bumped all the way to J on both the regional connecting and long haul flights from Shanghai to Paris. I am a GO member.
Wow, congratz. First time I've heard someone get op-upped from Y all the way to J bypassing PEY in the process on a longhaul flight.

Not sure if they had a special reason to upgrade you (e.g. membership anniversary, milestone etc.) rather than an overbooked Y cabin simply?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:46 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
I upgraded a MAA->HKG flight in June from Y to J using 22,500 miles when it was showing as a A330 without PEY

Now the flight shows as a A359 with PEY, so Y to J is now impossible

CX loss, my gain
GE90-115B likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:09 pm

Programs: sad kettle
Would anyone w/ EF please help me check for: CX 840, December 20th? Thx in advance Not good looking enough to score the long-haul upgrades that someone else here got
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, KF Elite Gold, GHA Black
Will my Y to J upgrade waitlist be cleared if there is a equipment swap from A330 to A350?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:43 pm

Does CX allow upgrade bids from J to F if J is paid in cash?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:11 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Does CX allow upgrade bids from J to F if J is paid in cash?

Thanks!
I once was able to upgrade 2 seats from paid J to F using miles at the airport.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Horchata
Would anyone w/ EF please help me check for: CX 840, December 20th? Thx in advance Not good looking enough to score the long-haul upgrades that someone else here got

CX 8400HKG
12/20/24 4:20 PMJFK
12/20/24 7:05 PM359
Daily
64% / 20mJ9 C9 D9 P4 I0 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0
Horchata likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, KF Elite Gold, GHA Black
Anyone with EF able to check CX717 30 APR 24? Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:07 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by webbyboy
Anyone with EF able to check CX717 30 APR 24? Thank you!
CX 7170 BKK
04/30/24 11:55 AM
SIN
04/30/24 3:25 PM
NA / NA J9 C9 D9 P9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9

The whole J cabin is empty. Good Luck.
Horchata likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:01 pm

Question about how staff tickets come into play in seat inventory.

I am currently waitlisted for upgrade on a flight this week. Flight loading on ExpertFlyer is showing only 4 seats in J remaining for sale. However a friendly source is telling me there are 3 CX staff members booked on the flight on ID tickets. Does that mean 7 seats actually remain for sale since staff tickets theoretically always make way for revenue passengers? Just trying to gauge my upgrade chances.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by GE90-115B

I am currently waitlisted for upgrade on a flight this week. Flight loading on ExpertFlyer is showing only 4 seats in J remaining for sale. However a friendly source is telling me there are 3 CX staff members booked on the flight on ID tickets. Does that mean 7 seats actually remain for sale since staff tickets theoretically always make way for revenue passengers? Just trying to gauge my upgrade chances.
Previous belief is that if there's a previous release of premium seats (J/F) on one flight that's been taken up, that flight will not be further released for redemption. Does ID (which does seem early in your case) count as if previous redemption? I want to know too.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by GE90-115B

No, this means 3 ID staff will be waiting to see if they are able to be uplifted in one of the 4 remaining seats. However the flight could easily be overbooked if they are only selling 4J.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by DiamondMile
No, this means 3 ID staff will be waiting to see if they are able to be uplifted in one of the 4 remaining seats. However the flight could easily be overbooked if they are only selling 4J.
Overbooking works differently depending on how close you are to departure time. If there are 4J seats remaining, then there will be 4 seats in J or above remaining on that flight. For example, if a flight has 20 seats available but is oversold in Economy by 10 at T-24hrs, then they will still sell Economy Class seats because it's easier to sell a $400 seat than a $4000 seat.

DiamondMile is correct in saying that staff (standby) tickets are waiting to be uplifted into those seats, or as a matter of fact: any seat. They can also be accepted into a lower cabin even though they've 'booked' a J seat, should they wish to.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:42 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hi all, I'm looking into the feasibility of booking PEY seats SYD-HKG-KIX and return in early June, and using AsiaMiles to upgrade to J. I have no AsiaMiles status and would be transferring the miles from Amex MR, so would value as much certainty as possible before transferring my MR points.

I've waded through much of this thread and have learned a lot but have a few questions:
  1. Am I right that even though I have ExpertFlyer there's no way to definitively search for confirmable business class upgrade inventory, but that I class (discounted business) is my best proxy? (though not necessarily reliable)
  2. I would probably only try to upgrade the long-haul sectors, and leave the HKG-Japan sectors in PEY. Does that mean that as an upgrade guide I should just look at I inventory on SYD-HKG-SYD (which is remarkably good right now; I9 most flights) or would married sector logic apply and there would need to be I available on SYD-HKG-KIX (there's almost none)?
  3. If there is business upgrade inventory, does that clear immediately (even though I have no status)?
  4. If there's not business upgrade inventory, does the waitlist typically clear automatically or should I be calling and requesting manual review?
  5. Assuming I manage to confirm upgrades for the long-haul legs, do I still have the option to bid for upgrades on the intra-Asia flights or does the system not allow a mix of miles and cash based upgrades?
thank you!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Hi all, I'm looking into the feasibility of booking PEY seats SYD-HKG-KIX and return in early June, and using AsiaMiles to upgrade to J. I have no AsiaMiles status and would be transferring the miles from Amex MR, so would value as much certainty as possible before transferring my MR points.

I've waded through much of this thread and have learned a lot but have a few questions:
  1. Am I right that even though I have ExpertFlyer there's no way to definitively search for confirmable business class upgrade inventory, but that I class (discounted business) is my best proxy? (though not necessarily reliable)
  2. I would probably only try to upgrade the long-haul sectors, and leave the HKG-Japan sectors in PEY. Does that mean that as an upgrade guide I should just look at I inventory on SYD-HKG-SYD (which is remarkably good right now; I9 most flights) or would married sector logic apply and there would need to be I available on SYD-HKG-KIX (there's almost none)?
  3. If there is business upgrade inventory, does that clear immediately (even though I have no status)?
  4. If there's not business upgrade inventory, does the waitlist typically clear automatically or should I be calling and requesting manual review?
  5. Assuming I manage to confirm upgrades for the long-haul legs, do I still have the option to bid for upgrades on the intra-Asia flights or does the system not allow a mix of miles and cash based upgrades?
thank you!
1. If you have a Cathay account, select 'redeem flights' on the homepage, and the dates should have a symbol underneath (either green or dark amber-yellow) indicating if there's reward seat availability. A redeemable seat would be an upgradeable seat, but it's not exhaustive (i.e. there being a upgradeable seat doesn't necessarily means there's a redeemable seat)
2. Not sure.
3. Yes; inventory logic works the same. If there is inventory in a revenue class (such as I), you will buy the flight/it will ticket instantly
4. Since the system knows you're waitlisted, it'll clear automatically if inventory becomes available
5. Not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.