Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Time - Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Minimum Connection Time - Hong Kong

Arriving HKG from KUL at 13:20 and departing from HKG for SFO at 14:10. Both segments are on Cathay. Is the connection time too tight for comfort? This is a legit flight itinerary published by Cathay. How far would the walk be? I am concerned especially if one of the passenger has slight mobility issues.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Macro Polo - Cathay
Assuming the inbound flight arrives on time, 50mins is well above the minimum for HKG.
Just follow the ground staff expecting you at the gate, or head direct to Gates 1-4 for outbound flights to the US.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by bronco29
Arriving HKG from KUL at 13:20 and departing from HKG for SFO at 14:10. Both segments are on Cathay. Is the connection time too tight for comfort? This is a legit flight itinerary published by Cathay. How far would the walk be? I am concerned especially if one of the passenger has slight mobility issues.
Depending on where you arrive and leave it can be quite a distance. If you can walk at normal speed 50 min is very doable. If you walk really slow a wheelchair is always an option.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asv2
50mins is well above the minimum for HKG.
No, the airport-wide MCT default is 1:00, but CX publishes a 0:50 for all of its flights with exceptions of up to 1:00 for a dozen or so of named flights.

Having said that, with my limited experience I concur that it is a realistic MCT.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Do check with staff at bottom of ramp.I assumed gates 1-4 for US departures also so was surprised when our Aug 19. flight to LAX was out of Gate 23.
And see section 9.3 of FAQ's at top of page for transit details.

Last edited by pssteve; Sep 3, 2013 at 12:07 am Reason: add info
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by pssteve
Do check with staff at bottom of ramp.I assumed gates 1-4 for US departures also so was surprised when our Aug 19. flight to LAX was out of Gate 23.
And see section 9.3 of FAQ's at top of page for transit details.
..admittedly, gate 23 is close to gates 1-4, on the east side of the terminal. I still think it's legit advice from above there is a very high probability of the flight departing along the east side of the terminal (gates 1-4, 15-19, 21-24). IME CX favors gates 1-4, 21 and 23 for US departures.

In addition to the obvious convenience of the closed-off waiting area of gates 1-4 for secondary screening (vs jetbridge), I suspect the reason for favoring the east gates, although I don't know for sure, is that it's the same security staff doing secondary screening as who operate the X-ray machines, and those gates are closer to security. Gates 1-4, 21-24, and 15-19 are close to security in the east side of the terminal. So the security staff doesn't have to travel as far.

Gates 1-4 are easiest because CX can close off the back section of the waiting area for the US-required secondary screening. I'm not sure about 21-23, but Gates 1-4 seem to be dedicated CX/KA gates all-day long. I know 22 and 24 are not dedicated CX gates, which may be why more US flights don't depart out of those gates. Obviously it's not feasible to push back every US departure out of gates 1-4, so I think gates 21/23 are the next-best option based on the gates CX gets allocated at HKIA.

FWIW, my last two flights to the US in the last few months I've departed out of either gates 18-19 (can't remember which, they're next to each other on the northeast side). Although these are on the opposite side as gates 1-4, they are indeed far east in the terminal, also close to security (and frequently KA departure gates).

In most cases, I do think it's a safe bet for the OP to assume his US flight will very likely depart from an eastern-situated gate at HKIA.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
..admittedly, gate 23 is close to gates 1-4, on the east side of the terminal. I still think it's legit advice from above there is a very high probability of the flight departing along the east side of the terminal (gates 1-4, 15-19, 21-24). IME CX favors gates 1-4, 21 and 23 for US departures.

In addition to the obvious convenience of the closed-off waiting area of gates 1-4 for secondary screening (vs jetbridge), I suspect the reason for favoring the east gates, although I don't know for sure, is that it's the same security staff doing secondary screening as who operate the X-ray machines, and those gates are closer to security. Gates 1-4, 21-24, and 15-19 are close to security in the east side of the terminal. So the security staff doesn't have to travel as far.

Gates 1-4 are easiest because CX can close off the back section of the waiting area for the US-required secondary screening. I'm not sure about 21-23, but Gates 1-4 seem to be dedicated CX/KA gates all-day long. I know 22 and 24 are not dedicated CX gates, which may be why more US flights don't depart out of those gates. Obviously it's not feasible to push back every US departure out of gates 1-4, so I think gates 21/23 are the next-best option based on the gates CX gets allocated at HKIA.

FWIW, my last two flights to the US in the last few months I've departed out of either gates 18-19 (can't remember which, they're next to each other on the northeast side). Although these are on the opposite side as gates 1-4, they are indeed far east in the terminal, also close to security (and frequently KA departure gates).

In most cases, I do think it's a safe bet for the OP to assume his US flight will very likely depart from an eastern-situated gate at HKIA.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Now I am getting nervous. Would Cathay wait for us if we are delayed for whatever reason (Flight; security line, etc)? Or they would just rebook us? Please note that this will be an award travel.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
I had a AKL-HKG-MNL flight recently with 50 min connection. We were 20 mins late into HKG and were not allowed to proceed to MNL. Had to stay in the airport Regal at CX expense.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: GGLfL
I am booking a LHR-BKI trip, and CX is offering this with a good J fare. The outbound connection is:

LHR 1230 HKG 0705 - CX252
HKG 0800 BKI 1100 - CX5061 (op by KA)

Could anyone advice on the safety of this connection, typical time for the transfer, and area where the connecting flight (KA61) would depart from.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I am booking a LHR-BKI trip, and CX is offering this with a good J fare. The outbound connection is:

LHR 1230 HKG 0705 - CX252
HKG 0800 BKI 1100 - CX5061 (op by KA)

Could anyone advice on the safety of this connection, typical time for the transfer, and area where the connecting flight (KA61) would depart from.
You should be fine. CX252 seems to be quite reliable in getting in on time.

HKIA is one big terminal with multiple transfer points, very different to LHR. Therefore, transfer is significantly faster than LHR. Dont worry and have a good trip!
royng likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
I have the following trip booked (in F it matters):

CX885 LAX 11:25 HKG 19:05
CX715 HKG 20:00 SIN 23:55

I used AS miles and was assured that this is legal connection. Do you think there will be a problem? If the flight from LAX is late will CX accommodate me?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
You would not go thru customs or immigration but you do go thru security which is quite effiecient. 55 minutes is plenty. If inbound is delayed they will meet you with a red coat agent who will guide you to next gate. We made a 20 minute connection in Nov 13 LAX-HKG-MEL but our luggage came on the next flight.Good luck.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by pssteve
You would not go thru customs or immigration but you do go thru security which is quite effiecient. 55 minutes is plenty. If inbound is delayed they will meet you with a red coat agent who will guide you to next gate. We made a 20 minute connection in Nov 13 LAX-HKG-MEL but our luggage came on the next flight.Good luck.
Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Pulley
I have the following trip booked (in F it matters):

CX885 LAX 11:25 HKG 19:05
CX715 HKG 20:00 SIN 23:55

I used AS miles and was assured that this is legal connection. Do you think there will be a problem? If the flight from LAX is late will CX accommodate me?
as the poster above says....no problem. The caveat is obviously if your inbound flight from LAX is an hour delayed, you'll miss it.

But I generally read your question as "even though this is a legal connection, given some US airlines have absurdly short legal connections at certain airports like ORD which lead to unnecessarily missing flights, is HKIA like that?" The answer is, no. If your inbound flight is on time...even if it's 5-10 minutes late...you will have absolutely no problem making your ongoing connection, and without sweating. The airport is efficient. Especially since, as the poster above mentions, there will likely be CX staff greeting you as you deplane - especially if you're delayed - to walk you through transit security and ensure you go to the front of the line if there is one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.