Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX722 28 March a little tale

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by CX828
I think Macau would A) Be subject to same weather conditions impacting HKG and B) Already be full with diversions.

To be honest, what else could CX do once the plane was in CAN? They were not able to get pax off the aircraft due to immigration issues + authorities. The only thing they could have done is to bring the replacement crew much sooner. I guess they waited for the next KA flight for that.

Terrible ordeal, CX probably should have tried to divert this flight enroute or to TPE/MNL then to a Mainland city. I wonder if these diversions were due to a lack of readiness by CX control in HKG, and perhaps they thought weather + disruption would not be as bad as it was?
Why can't CX bus some crew over (any time of the day) to CAN? It's only a 3-hour bus ride!

And another question, BIG question, is how ready was CX or HKAA or HKCAD for this weather. This front had appeared hours in advance. Everything can be predicted. In the US of A, many planes would have been held at ground/origin and diversions would not amount to an overwhelming level.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Why can't CX bus some crew over (any time of the day) to CAN? It's only a 3-hour bus ride!
All crew gotta have valid re-entry permits then. Dunno if waiver exists for crew to enter PRC by land using their ALPA pass.

I would imagine it might be possible but won't be automatic/by right - approval of some higher-up may be required.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:47 pm

I am very very surprise that it's 16 years since 1997 hand-over. CX is 30% owned by Air China. CX/KA flies tons of flights daily in-and-out of China, and CX and China don't have any type of agreements in place to handle situations like this? While these things don't happen everyday but if anything goes wrong at HKIA then the multiple Chinese airports in the area are logical options for emergencies and contingency plans should have already been proposed and approved by both sides by now. Even if it is simply to disembark the plane and get them to rest in the lobby is better than getting stuck in the plane for 17 straight hours.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Wow, sorry for the ordeal. 500 RMB? LOL

Totaly agree 500Rmb, lol, Thats why I refused it, as far as i could see every one else took the money.

As a foot note to the offer from CX, my dear wife and daughter have just traved on an award booking in first today/yesterday.
LHR-HKG-PVG.
HKG-PVG they were downgraded to Buisness, due to change of metal and given 400HKD cash each. Flight was delayed 2 hours KA834, approx, not sure.

It was the same price in avios for First, Buisnes, and taxes for both classes, so CX paid them x amount to fly with them.

My angry letter is formulating now!
500Rmb for 17 hours lost time sat on plane in CAN.
400HKD for a mere downgrade.

Not sure what to think about CX/KA now, certianly loosing my choice as preferd carrier in Asia.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
Totaly agree 500Rmb, lol, Thats why I refused it, as far as i could see every one else took the money.

As a foot note to the offer from CX, my dear wife and daughter have just traved on an award booking in first today/yesterday.
LHR-HKG-PVG.
HKG-PVG they were downgraded to Buisness, due to change of metal and given 400HKD cash each. Flight was delayed 2 hours KA834, approx, not sure.

It was the same price in avios for First, Buisnes, and taxes for both classes, so CX paid them x amount to fly with them.

My angry letter is formulating now!
500Rmb for 17 hours lost time sat on plane in CAN.
400HKD for a mere downgrade.

Not sure what to think about CX/KA now, certianly loosing my choice as preferd carrier in Asia.
You are not alone... I'm on the CX722 flight on Mar 28 too... I'm now drafting the complaint letter as well. CX handled very poorly for this diversion!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by cy1978hk
You are not alone... I'm on the CX722 flight on Mar 28 too... I'm now drafting the complaint letter as well. CX handled very poorly for this diversion!

I presume that you also concur with my views about the information given by the captain?
This is the angle that will be in my letter.

Cabin crew were excellent, if I took the cash, I would have given to to them.

Maybe we can PM on here rather put our views out in public.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
CX should sent a kaocha (考察) team over to SoCal and learn from WN. Every time LAX/SAN/SNA gets fogged in during the late evening and planes divert to ONT, WN arranges buses in no time. I know there's a border or two, but lightening the "load" (of visaless stuck pax) would make sleeping on the plane overnight a lot easier.
Unfortunately diversion to China is not as simple as your suggested case. Mainland China require a separate visa for most people to visit... therefore it is impossible to let passenger off the plane and simply bus them to Hong Kong.

As for the Captain announcement, most Captain will do their best to get their passenger to their destination as soon as humanly possible, there is no reason for him to lie to you. The kind of stuff that the Captain has announce are pretty inline with what every airline will try to do during a diversion. So I believe the captain really did try all of the above items, but it is just complete bad luck / over congestion that none of his options materialize.

Generally speaking... They will definitely try to arrange a new crew / new plane... however the company might have promise the captain such things, but with the among of congestion, it make logically sense that those promise did not materialize... Getting passenger disembrake in Mainland China will require a very very length process of getting visa for everyone... With so many flight diverted to CAN... I am sure even if the captain and CX try to negotiate with CX and CAN airport... I am sure it is very hard for them to arrange anything... but at the same time I am sure the captain will try... so considering the situation, what the captain had told you probably are the truth... but I can understand why you would think otherwise though...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Flexibility isn't exactly one of the mainland's greatest strengths (just ask FedEx, whose APAC hub is at Baiyun, how 'flexible' the CAN airport authorities are). It would make sense to have a more concrete diversion plan, but I can imagine that there are a lot of kinks. Aside from the whole issue of mainland immigration, there is also the issue of passengers entering HK. I can imagine a scenario that some passengers only eligible for TWOV and not entry to HK. Prior to the EU, I had a flight from FCO-ORD that diverted to CDG, and we were held on the airplane for many hours before they agreed to bus us to a hotel for the night. We got $0.00 in compensation.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
What CX had done before in a mechanical landing in Moscow (CDG-HKG flight) was separating HKSAR passengers (given hotel rooms) and other passengers (stuck in terminal).

The question now is, given if CX can charter buses in SZX/CAN/ZUH, and arrange ground services, can this diversion of passengers be done in Mainland China (HRP and visa holders versus others)?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cy1978hk
I have filed the complaints letter today... See how the things go in the coming few days.....
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Sounds like a terrible night!
Would have been much quicker to take a bus back to HKG yourself
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by ermen
Sounds like a terrible night!
Would have been much quicker to take a bus back to HKG yourself
Yeah but the darn immigration processes are too complicated and restricts that, especially for those who aren't legitimate to enter China. It's a real shame that country rules and regulations take such a big precedence over simple comfort, causing 300+ passengers to have to cramp into their seats for the whole night (sucks big time for those in Y, since we all know what those seats are like on the regional 773). Just let them get off the damn plane for the night. Diu.... I wonder what's gonna happen if a passenger dies from lack of blood circulation because he is crouched in his seat for too long.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:22 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
GE90-115B: We'd hope (pray) that medical emergency will be treated differently (as if in-flight medical emergency divert).

No such leniency for healthy passengers.

Correctioncx, Cathay Boy: I wonder if TSA will be any better if for any reason a Canada-bound plane has to divert to the US...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
GE90-115B: We'd hope (pray) that medical emergency will be treated differently (as if in-flight medical emergency divert).

No such leniency for healthy passengers.

Correctioncx, Cathay Boy: I wonder if TSA will be any better if for any reason a Canada-bound plane has to divert to the US...
Wasn't there issues before at JFK where pax were trapped inside an aircraft for 8+ hours?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts too personal or with radical views were removed.

cxfan1960
CX Mod

Last edited by cxfan1960; May 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm Reason: Thread cleaned up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.