Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG -> MNL CX vs. PR extra cost worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I'm flying from Vancouver to HKG. Then I need to buy a separate ticket continuing on to Manila. There are two choices, with CX being about $175 more expensive.

How would CX compare over Philippine Airlines? I don't have status with either. It's a short flight, so I'd be interested in CX lounge in HKG and any other factors you can think of that may justify paying $175 more. Which should I buy?

AC7 YVR-HKG 1140-1720 77W ticketed
continuing on ....

CX913 HKG-MNL 2005-2205 744 choice #1
$698 Business Class
-- OR --
PR311 HKG-MNL 2205-0005 333 choice #2
$525 Business Class
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:09 pm

Pros of CX:

-Outstanding 5-star service as always
-Lie-flat seats if you want to sleep for the duration of the flight
-If not, watch a quick show or two on CX's AVOD system, StudioCX
-Award winning lounges
-It's a 747!
-The hour of arrival is not that late

-Cons of CX:

-Could be swapped for a regional configured aircaft last minute
-You arrive at Terminal 1 which is always a zoo during late hours

Have never been on PR so I can't really comment but I fly in and out of MNL on a regular basis.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
If you can get a "Mabuhay Classic" business class fare for $338, just fly on PR. (Try PhilippinesAirlines.com first if you can't find it on an OTA.) I faced a similar (first world ) dilemma 2 years ago flying inbound to HKG, with MNL as my final destination. I chose PR and her service was just fine for a 2 hour flight. I can't provide any comments on PR's HKG lounge, as I didn't use it.

However, if you can only find a ticket that PR quoted you, then just go with CX, for the sake of trying out the lounge AND arriving into MNL earlier.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: SQ
It's a short flight.....not sure if the CX lounges are worth $175. If you NEED a shower, and want the EQM, etc, it might be more reasonable....but you can get a LOT of rather decent airport food for $175.

I've never flew PR though........
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:10 pm

Just to add, im not sure if safety is under one of your considerations. CX is in the top 10 safest airlines in the world with the likes of British Airways and Qantas. Philippine Airlines - well not so much. Unfortunately, they have been banned by the FAA and the EU to the US and the EU respectively because of safety negligence.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:28 pm

It's a short flight under 2 hours. Even with the best service, you'll be off the plane in no time.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by maortega15
Just to add, im not sure if safety is under one of your considerations. CX is in the top 10 safest airlines in the world with the likes of British Airways and Qantas. Philippine Airlines - well not so much. Unfortunately, they have been banned by the FAA and the EU to the US and the EU respectively because of safety negligence.
To be fair - it is all airlines registered under the Philippine Airline Authority that have been banned -- primarily for poorly managed licensing procedures, corruption, underqualified staff, etc. It is not necessarily a reflection of PAL's maintenance and pilots. So it is the airline regulator being sanctioned which, unfortunately for PAL, Cebu Pacific, etc. means a complete ban from the EU and a ban on expansion within the USA (PAL still flys to the US)

That said - I have more faith in CX's pilot training & supervision and aircraft maintenance.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
For the past 2 years I have been flying CX for all international flights...last September I decided to take PR because I was meeting a friend flying on Cebu Pacific in SIN and PR has the best flight to match 5J's.

I have to say that PR's service has been declining...on an A320, the crew did't even bother with last names...just a simple sir or ma'am. I've seen full cabins on CX and the crew can still manage to memorize our last names. Most of the time they were in the galley and never even checked if the passengers need anything. The Purser(ISM) never showed her face the entire flight, and since she was at the front galley, there was a constant stream of crew coming in and out the entire flight. Honestly it felt like coach service on business class seats and flatware.

PR's Mabuhay Classic has restrictions compared to CX's D/I class...they had 2 morning flights to SIN that day, I was taking the 10am(A320) instead of the 7am (A340), I called a week ahead and asked if I could switched to the earlier flight since J-class was wide open, they said I could but I have to pay almost 100 dollars for rebooking and re-issuance.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
You will have a nicer flight and ground experience in HKG on CX.

Id say CX mostly because it will shorten your connection time and have you arrrive in MNL less late.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
I fly this route often in Business - and as there is no *A carrier, my regular carrier is PR.

I can usually get a PR Biz ticket for approximately US$350-450 R/T whereas on CX, the usual price is approximately US$600+.

The hard product on PR is definitely subpar if comparing to the New CX J Seat - however, PR has occassionally been using their new 77W on this route instead of the A330/340 - and the 77W has a decent hard product.

Service - Well its a 2 hour flight. I want a snack and I want to be left alone for the most part. Food on both carriers i would say is really the same.

The area where PR is a little better is the airport terminal experience in MNL - the CX Terminal is really the pits. Both CX and PR lounges in MNL are nothing to get too excited about.

Save the US$200+ for a nice meal in Manila!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.