Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Rant: Decline in customer experience SFO-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: Decline in customer experience SFO-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Well, had a California business trip coming in June, was thinking about flying up to SFO to HKG, luckily I didn't and stuck with LAX to HKG. Doesn't sound too promising for SFO.
Ha, despite the gripes SFO is still far preferable on both departure and (particularly) arrival than LAX. It doesn't get much better clearing immigration in the US than at SFO.

The OW lounge at LAX has its own overcrowding issues, and the gate areas are simply disaster zones. I'm just surprised that when CX built their OWN lounge at SFO that they're promoting they made it too small. The lounge definitely is nicer than the old BA lounge everyone used to use, but it accommodates fewer people and the lounge boarding (which was a really convenient perk) is now gone.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by OnTheAsile
Could it be possible that Cathay was told by SFO management that this the allotted space for the your facility and Cathay had to make do?
Yea you're probably right. But the folks at CX still had the option (I think?) to keep using the BA lounge, particularly because it was staffed by CX personnel prior to the departure of the CX flights. Unless BA was kicking CX out for some reason. The new CX lounge is in fact a very nice lounge, it's just too small if 74A is full (or if, in the future there is an overlapping flight or two).
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My advice to OP is simple - OP has to think that it is a CX issue or 747 issue.

CX has been in the media several due to its 747s issue.

But you have to think about this clearly - blaming Boeing or CX for all issues.

For the same route, UA uses 744 as well. So in other word, unless you go to SQ, you may end up with the same situation (assuming you blame Boeing).

If you think it is a CX issue, do you think you should discuss that with CX before jumping the gun?

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I'm just surprised that when CX built their OWN lounge at SFO that they're promoting they made it too small.
As a matter of fact, it does surprise a lot of people, especially when comparing CX's presence between SFO and JFK.

And more surprise is - CX even make a Youtube video to promote SFO lounge.

Last edited by garykung; Apr 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
This is NOT a 744 issue.... the issue is poorly maintained seats and in flight entertainment systems that are clearly at the end of their service life and need updating or replacement. I LOVE the 744 - it's the best ride in the sky (commercial) and I love the upper deck.

My issue is they are deferring maintenance as they phase these old birds out. If they are going to do that, my new favorite ride is the 777....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by goldengate
This is NOT a 744 issue.... the issue is poorly maintained seats and in flight entertainment systems that are clearly at the end of their service life and need updating or replacement. I LOVE the 744 - it's the best ride in the sky (commercial) and I love the upper deck.

My issue is they are deferring maintenance as they phase these old birds out. If they are going to do that, my new favorite ride is the 777....
Unfortunately it seems so, just waiting for the 744s to have their last breath and then send them to the desert, so sad... I don't know what CX management are thinking, but I just want to know what are their fleet/product plans. Right now it is quite a mess with such a difference between different planes and airports.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by goldengate

Consider going on ANA or Asiana to/from SFO via NRT/HND?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Consider going on ANA or Asiana to/from SFO via NRT/HND?
SQ flies a 777 non-stop daily SFO-HKG. UA also flies the route, but I believe they still use a 747.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the CX lounge have the huge 1.5L bottles of water that you can take with you on the plane? That was my favorite part about the BA lounges. I'd drink one bottle in the lounge then take one on the plane. I never felt dehydrated upon arriving in HKG even with a couple bottles of Krug in my system!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:59 am

Wow. I can only do 2 bottle of Krug on 1 flight
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Poorly maintained 747's are killing the Cathay Brand

I just flew back from HKG to SFO in first class last night. And guess what.... one of the two restrooms in F was broken! I asked the flight attendant about it and she said that she checked the log and that the lavatory had been broken for 3 days. She was frustrated with the maintenance poeple at HKG. She agreed that there are a LOT of issues now on the Cathay 747's and that they need to either replace them or maintain them. Right now they are doing neither in an expeditious manner.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
LAX better than SFO ?
It can be...depends how you play it...Since I transfer in from LAS for my HKG flight, I usually head to the AA and hang out in the FL lounge (Emerald), then time it out before walking over to the TBIT.....I end up in the OW lounge about 15-20 minutes prior to boarding so I will check the food out, what bottles of adult bevs are out and then settle on a snack with a glass or two of bubbly.....then off to the gate.

If you are not connecting, (and have access to the FL in LAX), SFO is better than dealing with zoo that is known to be TBIT......
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas
It can be...depends how you play it...Since I transfer in from LAS for my HKG flight, I usually head to the AA and hang out in the FL lounge (Emerald), then time it out before walking over to the TBIT.....I end up in the OW lounge about 15-20 minutes prior to boarding so I will check the food out, what bottles of adult bevs are out and then settle on a snack with a glass or two of bubbly.....then off to the gate.

If you are not connecting, (and have access to the FL in LAX), SFO is better than dealing with zoo that is known to be TBIT......
When will the new LAX terminal be done, seems over 50% done last time I was there
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by inlandrev
When will the new LAX terminal be done, seems over 50% done last time I was there
Last I heard, part of it will be done first part of 2013 and the remainder will be completed towards the end of 2013......

Just an FYi..here in LAS, the new terminal will be done in 2 months.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CX828
My advice would be to take the 77W instead of 747 when its on the SFO route. E.g. at the moment 1 of 2 flights is operated by 77W. Less likely to get glitches.
CX no longer flies the 77W on the SFO-HKG route. Both daily flights are now 744s. I agree with OP on the SFO lounge. Too small and crowded. No separate First Class section and the lounge is so far away from the concourse that it may have a different area code. While I complained about the tired BA lounge, the direct access boarding was a great feature. CX should have worked with BA and spent money on a jointly refurbishing the BA lounge. But once on board, CX is wonderful and IMO, second only to SQ.

For those haven't experienced it, lots of SFO lounge pics and commentary at the beginning of my recent TR.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...380-first.html

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 27, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.