Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to EWR!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation CX to EWR!

Cathay is planning for another NYC service starting from March 2012 and it is pending for approval.

D CX812 HKG-EWR 19:15 - 22:00 77W
D CX813 EWR-HKG 23:55 - 05:00+2 77W

Slots traded with BR.

Cathay Boy, I'm sure you are drooling!!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:14 pm
Suspended

as earlier mentioned...

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
EWR serves quite a big market going South, West and Northwest where JFK doesn't make sense. I was at a CX event awhile back and it sounded like EWR is getting serious consideration - this was pre-ORD announcement - and it was mentioned in the same breath. In fact, it is only one-hour from Philly to EWR Station on Amtrak (I think the same or less from some Philly burbs) so an EWR route isn't just about NYC.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Wow seems like it is definetly happening then! Seems to be the same timings as the current CX845/CX846 to the JFK, but I see why, as the flight works well for HKG connections but not for EWR as no one is expected to connect in EWR Because of lack of oneworld/AA connections.

Cathay Boy should try to go on the innaugral flight, especially as ths route is very important for him!

I hope however, as someone suggested could happen due to aircraft, that this new route to EWR does not affect frequencies to YYZ!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

EWR will be mostly used for feeder traffic from areas in NJ and further south. It would be a huge difference for them for EWR from JFK. Tolls on the turnpike and bridges are huge. Just saved yourself some money!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
EWR will be mostly used for feeder traffic from areas in NJ and further south. It would be a huge difference for them for EWR from JFK. Tolls on the turnpike and bridges are huge. Just saved yourself some money!
I still think its incredible that CX are going 5x daily to NYC. it is fantastic, and it really has become their number 1 longhaul market! This growth has been achieved in such little time, and now surpasses LHR as the most capacity/frequency longhaul!

NYC has a choice of JFK or EWR + destination to HKG and YVR, CX really made a huge impact!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Cathay is planning for another NYC service starting from March 2012 and it is pending for approval.

Slots traded with BR.

I'm very familiar with JFK and EWR due to my nature of work involving those 2 airports.. and being to NYC and NJ several times in the last 2 years

I can say that the benefit of adding EWR isn't that much as the transportation system of the US easily connects the 2 airports and they are not that far from each other...

CX should have added other more strategically located airports in the US..just like the recent ORD.. for example, if they add SEA instead, it has more impact coz SEA is not only a major city, SEA is the closest US port to Alaska. So those who doesn't have a canadian visa could opt to fly to SEA instead of YVR.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roquejo
I'm very familiar with JFK and EWR due to my nature of work involving those 2 airports.. and being to NYC and NJ several times in the last 2 years

I can say that the benefit of adding EWR isn't that much as the transportation system of the US easily connects the 2 airports and they are not that far from each other...

CX should have added other more strategically located airports in the US..just like the recent ORD.. for example, if they add SEA instead, it has more impact coz SEA is not only a major city, SEA is the closest US port to Alaska. So those who doesn't have a canadian visa could opt to fly to SEA instead of YVR.
Canadian Visa??!!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:58 pm

Canadian Visa??!!
Maybe he means passengers flying to Alaska could fly to SEA as oppose to YVR for connection to Alaska?

Still CX have their base in YVR including crew, so its unlikely they will fly to SEA.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by roquejo

We have gone through this many times before, all locals of the area (such as myself) knows there is a huge difference between EWR and JFK. It isn't about transporting between JFK and EWR, it isn't even about sharing capacity. It's about CX not reaching out to a huge East Asian market of people living in Eastern Pennsylvania, all of New Jersey, and Philadelphia. These people simply hate to go to JFK due to traffic and ridiculously high tolls (if you travel inbound into NYC you pay $8, and if you come out of Verazanno Bridge outbound that's $15!!!! A total of $23 just on the tolls and not to mention gas and traffic.)

EWR will be an instant hit and it will be a decision that CX will not regret.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:20 pm

Slots traded with BR.

Urgh, I really hate early morning arrivals at HKG... the AirBus doesn't start operating until 7:30 a.m. $300 HKD taxi rides are such a waste of my precious limited petty travel fund...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Urgh, I really hate early morning arrivals at HKG... the AirBus doesn't start operating until 7:30 a.m. $300 HKD taxi rides are such a waste of my precious limited petty travel fund...
You never know, a double daily to EWR can happen you know!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:27 pm

Wonder if this means you would keep using JFK? For better arrival time into HKG.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:29 pm

Slots traded with BR.

BTW I noticed you state Slot trade with Eva Air. This potentially means CX are giving away a pair of JFK slots? So does this mean a cargo flight or CX845/CX846 will be terminated? Perhaps CX will remain 4x daily, with 3 to JFK and 1 to EWR instead of 5x daily like I originally thought??!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:49 pm

I thought you could take the airport express?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
I thought you could take the airport express?
Airport Express is open from 05:55am.

In the summer time the early flights from YYZ, SYD, JFK and likely this new EWR arrive around 04:30am! Can be long wait.

However in Winter time flights arrive after 5am so Airport Express is viable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.