Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Advice: How to do HKG-PEK-PVG properly ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: How to do HKG-PEK-PVG properly ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sparkzone
@KVS, I just tried award/JL on
PEK-DPS = get error
PVG-DPS = ? ? PVG HKG then CX 785
maybe CX is not pricing routes from PEK/PVG to DPS?

@moondog = I agree the train option look interesting but I still need flight either from hongkong or from pek/pvg to my final dest dps
Maybe there is no direct flights to DPS from anywhere in PRC.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:43 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

@KVS, I just tried award/JL on
PEK-DPS = get error
PVG-DPS = ? ? PVG HKG then CX 785
maybe CX is not pricing routes from PEK/PVG to DPS?

@moondog = I agree the train option look interesting but I still need flight either from hongkong or from pek/pvg to my final dest dps
Just search segment-by-segment, as there an overnight connection required:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.5.1/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld]
Code:
PEK  Beijing Capital CN [ZBAA]
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
TUE  01 Nov 2011

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
KA         937     BJS   07:50     HKG   11:30     33R  0   FS1  CS4  YS4
KA         905     BJS   08:00     HKG   11:45     33A  0   CS3  YS4
CX         347     BJS   10:00     HKG   13:45     777  0   CS1  YS-
Code:
PVG  Shanghai PuDong CN [ZSPD]
TUE  01 Nov 2011

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
KA         857     PVG   07:30     HKG   10:15     32P  0   CS-  YS4
KA         871     PVG   08:25     HKG   11:05     32P  0   CS1  YS2
Code:
DPS  Bali Denpasar Ngurah Rai Intl ID [WADD]
TUE  01 Nov 2011

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
CX         785     HKG   10:05     DPS   14:55     773  0   CS-  YS1
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
Maybe there is no direct flights to DPS from anywhere in PRC.
One needs to search for this stuff segment by segment and call BA to book (they'll usually waive the phone fee for US-Asia, intra-Asia, etc). In this case, PEK-HKG + HKG-DPS. But, again, I would plan on paying cash for HKG-DPS; if he uses a good TA, he might even get a few hotel nights plus airport transfers thrown in at no extra cost.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by moondog
~300 people have lost their lives in airplane crashes (on Chinese airlines) during the course of the past decade v. ~40 in a train crash.

In light of the fact that the rail network transports 25x more people than airplanes, I would argue that the train is categorically safer (not that I really care; both are safe enough for me).
Small points here, but I'm talking about high-speed rail....I think that's what you were referring to between Shanghai and Beijing. As far as I'm aware, there are still fewer travelers on China's HSR network than their domestic airlines, and most certainly not 25x more. I think you're probably referring to all the rail trips, not just HSR.

Not to beleager the point, but mainland Chinese airlines have simply been among the safest in the world for the last decade - they get a bad rap. I'm pretty sure that from the period 2004-2011, there were fewer air traffic deaths in China than there were in the US. Chinese HSR has, in its mere 3+ year existence (and really only 1+ year of widespread existence) already had two major fatal accidents...compared to 1 death in 40+ years for Japan. It is not a vote of confidence when executives from major overseas suppliers and partners refuse to ride the high-speed trains in China due to safety concerns.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Small points here, but I'm talking about high-speed rail....I think that's what you were referring to between Shanghai and Beijing. As far as I'm aware, there are still fewer travelers on China's HSR network than their domestic airlines, and most certainly not 25x more. I think you're probably referring to all the rail trips, not just HSR.
I was referring to the rail network in the general sense, rather than the small subset of it that's HS. But, HSR capacity is indeed impressive when you start to look at the numbers and soak up some of the intangibles (e.g. crowds at train stations). Let's take the BJ-SH route in particular. There are ~25 trains per day in each direction, each carrying ~1,000 people. Meanwhile, there are ~45 flights between PEK-SHA/PVG, ~12 to Jinan, ~12 to Nanjing, and half a dozen to smaller markets along the Jing-Hu line. Assuming 150 people per airplane, we're looking at 11,250 seats, less than half of the train. The numbers are similar on other HSR routes that are also served by airplanes (Beijing-Shenyang/Dalian/Qingdao, Shenzhen/Guangzhou-Changsha/Wuhan).
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I posted in DL forum to ask about MU specifically and looks like will do
HKG-PEK - MU
PEK-PVG- train or MU
PVG-HKG MU

@moondog, should we do PEK first or PVG ? or doesnt matter?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:07 am

I posted in DL forum to ask about MU specifically and looks like will do
HKG-PEK - MU
PEK-PVG- train or MU
PVG-HKG MU

@moondog, should we do PEK first or PVG ? or doesnt matter?
I haven't looked at your DL thread, but tmk the only ST option between HKG and PEK is on CZ (1 or 2 flights per day).
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

@moondog, lets keep it here

I checked MU and they have decent flights from HKG-PEK-PVG-HKG
adult is around $400 and children is a bit less.

How do you call Delta CTO in Beijing and request for Charles, if I want use skymiles for this. is there a number I can call direct? if you know charles office hours will be nice

so now its between $400 or 30k/35k skymiles. wonder if possible to redeem C for 4 seats on either MU or CZ
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:13 pm

@moondog, lets keep it here

I checked MU and they have decent flights from HKG-PEK-PVG-HKG
adult is around $400 and children is a bit less.

How do you call Delta CTO in Beijing and request for Charles, if I want use skymiles for this. is there a number I can call direct? if you know charles office hours will be nice

so now its between $400 or 30k/35k skymiles. wonder if possible to redeem C for 4 seats on either MU or CZ
The problem with MU is that since they don't fly HKG-PEK, it is necessary to connect in Shanghai, Kunming, Ningbo, etc... which is really annoying IMO. Assuming HKG is in the same zone as China, 25k DL miles should be enough to pull off the entire HKG-PEK-SHA-HKG loop, and you'd be able to fly CZ between HKG and PEK. I wouldn't dream of splurging for business class with the current award chart because the premium is steep and the PEK-HKG segment is the only portion that is likely to feature nice airplanes.

Regarding ticketing, you can find the phone number for DL Beijing on google. When you call them up, try to reach a human in their office, rather than playing along with the phone bot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.