Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Are F and C class on U.S. to Hong Kong flights ever oversold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are F and C class on U.S. to Hong Kong flights ever oversold?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by KACommuter

My Singapore colleagues' stories about SQ suggest their "never upgrading" policy is true. I know someone who has been PPS for > 10 years and has never been upgraded even once. Most similar customers can count the no. of upgrades on the fingers of one hand. However, I hear they upgrade government linked VIP's instead.
First, I will say that SQ F is almost never full of upgrades, NonRevs, etc. That said, I was on SQ MEL-SIN in J last year, and watched 6 Op-Ups to F while sitting in the lounge because Y was oversold--moving up pax to J, then 6 pax to F.
So it does happen, just not very often.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Originally Posted by smellyplane
what's the usual compensation if a C passenger is involuntarily bumped or downgraded to Y? (assuming all F passengers check in for the flight)
I have a friend involuntarily downgraded LAX-HKG and she was given HKD$10k, not too bad i guess
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
I have a friend involuntarily downgraded LAX-HKG and she was given HKD$10k, not too bad i guess
Shabby when compared to voluntary downgrades from J to F, with offers ranging from $7k to $9k USD.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
Shabby when compared to voluntary downgrades from J to F, with offers ranging from $7k to $9k USD.
You mean F to J? I don't see how that would happen as CX does not overbook F. Did you experience this before?

On the other hand, J to Y downgrades are not as rare as some of the above posts say. In addition to downgrade from J to Y 2x HKG-SYD, also been downgraded J to Y LHR-HKG. LHR-HKG was offered around 10k HKD as compensation which in hindsight was a complete rip off considering that my ticket was around 30k (this was already ex TPE).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
You mean F to J? I don't see how that would happen as CX does not overbook F. Did you experience this before?
The last time I encountered this situation, back in 2007, I got on a flight YVR-HKG and was trying to do a paid J-F upgrade. I was informed there was absolutely no chance, because F was overbooked and they were hoping someone wouldn't show up.

It remains a possibility, however that this specific situation involved an unexpected aircraft swap from 744 (12 F seats) to 74A (9 F seats), because that flight YVR-HKG was indeed 74A (remember it because it was my first time flying on newly reconfigured 74A). From late 2007 until early 2009 it was a real crapshoot and finger-crossing experience trying to get on 74A vs the old 744, so maybe CX did have some F overbooking problems then if they did a last-minute aircraft substitution from an expected 744 to 74A (12 to 9 seats).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:14 am

Changing from a 744 to 74A is not possible now since all have the new F (ie 74A)

One possibility is 74A (9F) changing to a 77A (6F) where there could be possibility of an overbooking of -3. This is theoretically possible for:

SFO, YVR, SIN, BKK, DEL, KIX and probably some more that the 74A serves

For SFO and YVR I believe that an aircraft chage would warrant sufficient notice to notify F pax

For the short/medium routes there is an equally likely, if not greater chance that the aircraft will change to regional (eg BKK and SIN would be the usual suspects). Previous threads have covered this already and I understand that reservations on the ground will arrange for refunds. However, I did remember reading somewhere that RTW tickets cannot be refunded the difference and will instead be ticketed in J.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Had this is NY a few times

They offered me a voluntary downgrade for $3850 USD + two seats in coach and this has happened on two plus occasions and I have taken advantage once....where I actually ended up with three seats AND they knew I had taken it and served me J class leftover meals. It was still a dragging 16 hour flight. Never again.

F goes crazy and big compensation is made when someone with priority in their VIP program changes their flights and the MUST be in F....for example a Senator or movie star or even a HKG/investment banking bigwig whose private jet blows an engine and he pulls strings for seats for 4 family members.... I have seen big offers made....but this is NEVER public. Airlines are great at hushing things up...not only Cathay.

Happy Travels!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Off topic: Makes me wonder why they do they offer reroute + compensation rather than Vol Downgrade? Cash is nice but the fix back Y is ... well ... not that comfortable

Sounds perfect sense to me for 5th JFK lol
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Off topic: Makes me wonder why they do they offer reroute + compensation rather than Vol Downgrade? Cash is nice but the fix back Y is ... well ... not that comfortable
I'm sure they'll reroute you or put you on a later flight if you want, but that's not always an option for some people.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
I believe I was almost involuntarily downgraded (F-J) most likely as a result of some sort of A/C failure in the pilot's rest area and a full F cabin. As it turns out, two of the F pax no-showed, so my travel partner and I were just bumped back a row. As nice as F was, I would have *gladly* taken $5k USD for the bump!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, $5k buys a lot of Krug and caviar!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.