Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dragon Air in Taipei....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Dragon Air in Taipei....

Thought I would give KA a try flying in and out of TPE. I will never do this again. It's not the KA flight that is the problem, but the secondary issues that leads up to boarding. First check-in is at Terminal 2 via EVA Airlines and EVA employees. Really CX? After so many years of takeover you can't take back KA and give us 5-star services with CX employees? Then it's EVA "business class" lounge. My goodness I really misses CX quality lounges. EVA "business class" lounge is a crude joke of a bunch of cheap plastic "sofas" with a cheap dining area that has a piece of glass on top of the table that can easily slide left and right if you lean on it and do any movement (like trying to use a laptop). The only big screen TV is "broken" and the "Game Room" is "Out of Order." The food selection is amateurish as well (thought I appreciate the offering of local Taiwanese food.) I see a few messy tables and the service person is standing there reading the newspaper! Another, what looks like a custodian off duty, came and start to grab plastic wrapped sandwiches and stuff it in his pockets.

Never again. Strictly CX in and out of TPE from now on. Why doesn't CX take back KA and bring it to Terminal one?

Last edited by Cathay Boy; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:03 am Reason: mistyped a word
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
CX is in terminal 1 and Dragon is in terminal 2.

For some reason CX and KA operation is not totally integrated in TPE may be the airport authority in TPE is not prepared to give space between the two terminals. CX and KA has to wait for the origional plan expire and then integrate to each other in TPE ground operations. I believe CX is eager to solve the problem of not being in the same roof. Not to mention JAL is in terminal 2 too. But it takes the airport authorities to make arrangment of switching the terminal.

You could use JAL lounge is you are Sapphire (Gold in CX) in terminal 2.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IC6A
CX is in terminal 1 and Dragon is in terminal 2.

For some reason CX and KA operation is not totally integrated in TPE may be the airport authority in TPE is not prepared to give space between the two terminals. CX and KA has to wait for the origional plan expire and then integrate to each other in TPE ground operations. I believe CX is eager to solve the problem of not being in the same roof. Not to mention JAL is in terminal 2 too. But it takes the airport authorities to make arrangment of switching the terminal.

You could use JAL lounge is you are Sapphire (Gold in CX) in terminal 2.
Damn, I wish I read your post sooner. Too late but thanks for the reminder for JAL lounge.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I agree that the BR check-in agents are not on par, but I thought that their lounge is not bad. True, the BR lounge does not provide the same kind of ambiance that the CX lounge has, but the BR lounge has a wider space and more food selection.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
However the KA business class fares between HKG / TPE can be at 50% that of CX. Several times I've got C fares on DragonAir when only J fares are left on Cathay

It annoys me that CathayPacific.com does not show these fares sometimes -- So if you are on a last minute trip from HKG / TPE and CathayPacific.com is showing full J fares only - I suggest you try DragonAir.com
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACORD
However the KA business class fares between HKG / TPE can be at 50% that of CX. Several times I've got C fares on DragonAir when only J fares are left on Cathay

It annoys me that CathayPacific.com does not show these fares sometimes -- So if you are on a last minute trip from HKG / TPE and CathayPacific.com is showing full J fares only - I suggest you try DragonAir.com
I guess it's good for the mileage runs. The KA "business class" is your single-aisle jet wide-seat with minimum food and drink services compare that of CX. But you do get 2.5 sectors and 1200 miles instead of 2 sectors and 1000 miles.

Want to add not all planes are single-aisle, so make sure you don't get that plane if you want to fly Dragon Air J

Last edited by Cathay Boy; Oct 30, 2010 at 4:40 am Reason: more info
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I guess it's good for the mileage runs. The KA "business class" is your single-aisle jet wide-seat with minimum food and drink services compare that of CX.
KA J is "with minimum food and drink services compare that of CX"? I actually thought that they are better in terms of service (incl. food).
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My guess would be that where there are bilateral agreements between "countries" on the number of airlines from each "country" which can fly that route then CX will do everything possible to keep KA regarded as a separate airline to avoid a new competitor flying on that route.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by ACORD

Thank you! Must remember to check more often.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:00 pm

Thought I would give KA a try flying in and out of TPE. I will never do this again. It's not the KA flight that is the problem, but the secondary issues that leads up to boarding. First check-in is at Terminal 2 via EVA Airlines and EVA employees. Really CX? After so many years of takeover you can't take back KA and give us 5-star services with CX employees? Then it's EVA "business class" lounge. My goodness I really misses CX quality lounges. EVA "business class" lounge is a crude joke of a bunch of cheap plastic "sofas" with a cheap dining area that has a piece of glass on top of the table that can easily slide left and right if you lean on it and do any movement (like trying to use a laptop). The only big screen TV is "broken" and the "Game Room" is "Out of Order." The food selection is amateurish as well (thought I appreciate the offering of local Taiwanese food.) I see a few messy tables and the service person is standing there reading the newspaper! Another, what looks like a custodian off duty, came and start to grab plastic wrapped sandwiches and stuff it in his pockets.

Never again. Strictly CX in and out of TPE from now on. Why doesn't CX take back KA and bring it to Terminal one?

EVA lounge was good... 6, 7 years ago but now they're letting too many local credit card holders into the lounge, resulting in what we see today. Food/drink selections are satisfactory but washroom and shower facility are completely disastrous. Garden lounge (reserved for Diamond and Amex Platinum holders) is a bit nicer but doesn't really live up to its name when compared to other lounges in the same terminal. Both lounges are undergoing construction until December so we'll see what EVA can offer.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Without a doubt the EVA was tired and is now getting a necessary overhaul. While the CX lounge is more stylish and relaxing, the food offerings are somewhat limited – some people go ape over the noodle bar, but I don't think it's anything to get that excited about. The EVA lounge did have a much wider range of food and beverages, but as others have pointed out, it can become a real zoo in there, especially at peak hours.

Having said that, if one is flying KA but really wants to use the CX lounge and has plenty of time, simply take the tram to Terminal 1 or burn a few calories and walk to the CX lounge.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiaotze
Without a doubt the EVA was tired and is now getting a necessary overhaul. While the CX lounge is more stylish and relaxing, the food offerings are somewhat limited – some people go ape over the noodle bar, but I don't think it's anything to get that excited about. The EVA lounge did have a much wider range of food and beverages, but as others have pointed out, it can become a real zoo in there, especially at peak hours.

Having said that, if one is flying KA but really wants to use the CX lounge and has plenty of time, simply take the tram to Terminal 1 or burn a few calories and walk to the CX lounge.
How can you walk to CX lounge from Terminal 2 after you have cleared customs? Is it possible?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
How can you walk to CX lounge from Terminal 2 after you have cleared customs? Is it possible?
I think there's an airside shuttle train, and I am pretty sure I walked to Terminal 2 from Terminal 1 while waiting for my CX flight ex-TPE (it's a longish walk though)

TPE floor plan
http://www.taoyuanairport.gov.tw/Use...rmap/T1all.jpg
http://www.taoyuanairport.gov.tw/Use...rmap/T2all.jpg
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
You can walk from T1 to T2 inside security at TPE. (Though they are doing construction now at T1, so I couldn't guarantee that this is still true for now) There is a train but if you don't have a BP for the terminal you want to go to, they won't let you on it.

I did this once to trek back to the CX lounge when flying JL but IMO that wasn't worth it. The JL lounge in T2 is decent enough.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:41 pm

sorry double post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.