Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying CX, 19 hour layover, baggage rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying CX, 19 hour layover, baggage rules?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Quick luggage transfer question.

I am traveling on two separate tickets:

DFW-NRT on AA in J
Layover of 26 hours in Tokyo
NRT-HKG-BKK on CX in J

Since the layover is more than 24 hours I can't check my bags all the way from DFW to BKK. If so, will CX enforce their 30kg total checked baggage weight policy for J pax when I recheck at NRT or will they honor AA baggage policy (2 pieces with 23 kgs each) since my travel is orginating in North America. I am trying to avoid surprises at NRT and pack accordingly.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Quick luggage transfer question.

I am traveling on two separate tickets:

DFW-NRT on AA in J
Layover of 26 hours in Tokyo
NRT-HKG-BKK on CX in J

Since the layover is more than 24 hours I can't check my bags all the way from DFW to BKK. If so, will CX enforce their 30kg total checked baggage weight policy for J pax when I recheck at NRT or will they honor AA baggage policy (2 pieces with 23 kgs each) since my travel is orginating in North America. I am trying to avoid surprises at NRT and pack accordingly.
Since sepatate TKTs (irrespetive of transit or not), no carry over of baggage allowance, so 30kg only on CX sectors. On the other hand, the allowance for AA J is 3PC instead of 2PC.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:01 pm

This thread hasn't been updated in quite awhile -- does anyone have more recent experience with how CX is able to handle luggage for very long layovers? I'm contemplating a trip for Washington DC to Bangkok, and would like to build in long enough layover to spend a day checking out each of Vancouver and Hong Kong. I can make the flight times work out, but don't want to have to deal with luggage. Any chance luggage can be checked straight through to Bangkok?

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:16 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
bump.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Recent experience at HKG

For anyone looking for an update, I can confirm that for travel through HKG on CX (including KA), the ability to check luggage through on an overnight layover of nearly 24 hours still exists. I did this a few days ago flying KA from Vietnam to HKG, with a next day flight on CX to the US, and a 21.5 layover in HKG. I also was told (at CX check-in at LAX), that I could have done this on LAX - HKG - SGN (all CX) with an approximately 16 hour layover in HKG, but I had not packed my carry-on for this, since I am used to AA overnight layovers where I always have to retrieve and re-check my bag.

Last edited by needtoescape; Mar 14, 2016 at 8:59 am Reason: Add details
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I recently had an odd experience with checking in luggage all the way through with a 13 hour layover in Hong Kong. I flew MCI-PHX-LAX-HKG-CMB. When I checked in for the AA flight at MCI they would not send my bags all the way. They claimed there was some homeland security rule that if the layover was more than 12 hours we had to retrieve the luggage in Hong Kong and recheck it for the HKG-CMB flight. When we got to LAX, we went to the check in desk and explained the situation. They said they would find our bags and retag them them all the way through LAX-HKG-CMB.

When we arrived in CMB our luggage was there. Great job CX, lousy job AA.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by susiesan
I recently had an odd experience with checking in luggage all the way through with a 13 hour layover in Hong Kong. I flew MCI-PHX-LAX-HKG-CMB. When I checked in for the AA flight at MCI they would not send my bags all the way. They claimed there was some homeland security rule that if the layover was more than 12 hours we had to retrieve the luggage in Hong Kong and recheck it for the HKG-CMB flight. When we got to LAX, we went to the check in desk and explained the situation. They said they would find our bags and retag them them all the way through LAX-HKG-CMB.

Interesting that there is such a DHS rule, but I heard (I might be wrong) that there can only be three segments on the tag.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Interesting that there is such a DHS rule, but I heard (I might be wrong) that there can only be three segments on the tag.
My ticket had 4 segments. I was told by AAgent that the length of the layover over 12 hours was the problem, not the number of segments.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 14, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
My ticket had 4 segments. I was told by AA GENT that the length of the layover over 12 hours was the problem, not the number of segments.
I did 16 hours layover in HKG (SFO-HKG-BLR) before with my luggage checked through, but that was more than two years ago.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR

Sounds like it was an issue with AA. I checked in with CX in LAX.

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
My return flight (DAD-HKG-LAX-CLT-IAD) was four segments (on KA, CX, and AA metal). I guess that might be why the KA agent at DAD put two tags on my checked bag.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:10 pm

I flew LAX-HKG-DEL with a 10 hour layover in HKG. I checked my luggage in LAX and picked it up in DEL. Another time I flew CX from Sydney to HKG and 22 hours later flew CX to JFK (two separate trips, two separate reservations). CX did not let me check in my luggage early, so I ended up taking it to the hotel airport and storing it there for the 22 hours as a non-guest. I think it cost US$35? This was at least 7-8 years ago.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
The Novotel CityGate Hotel attached to the mall is a 5 minutes drive away from the airport or 10 minutes via MTR Subway Train (not the Airport Express Train) .
I usually stay at Novotel and last visit was Oct 2015, always took the hotel shuttle, havent noticed the mtr extends to the airport?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Do CX still check through bags with a 19-20h connection in HKG? Routing YVR-HKG-CGK.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm flying BKK-HKG-LAX in first class next week on Cathay. 42 hour connection in HKG.

Any chance I can check my bag through, or should I collect it, take it on the train, store it at Hong Kong station, then go back to HKG station and do in town check in when within 24 hours the next day?

Alternatively I guess I could store it at airport but that costs more and my hotel will be close to Hong Kong station anyway.

This page suggests that I can check in at a Cathay kiosk 48 hours in advance and drop bags, so could I collect the bag and immediately re-check it at the airport if they won't check it through?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-in-kiosk.html
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:07 am

Sorry to highjack this thread but may I know if I need to exit immigration and retrieve my luggage, then check in again for my next destination?

I'm arriving from SIN via SQ F, with 12hrs layover and connecting to ICN via CX J. It's my first time transferring from different airlines, so not sure how is the process like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.