Wiki Posts
Search

Barbados- Holetown and Gap restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Barbados- Holetown and Gap restaurants?

Anyone with recommendations for restaurants? Have been to both places but not for a few years so it would be good to get up to date recommendations
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:03 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
How soon do you need my recommendations?

I will be in Barbados on Sunday 8 March 2009 and will try to get you a response by Tuesday. Hope this timeframe works for you.

Is there a particular type of cusine you prefer?

Do you have any other requests?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks We are not going till July so there is no hurry. We like to try the local dishes. Absolutely love trying the different types of fish for instance.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:26 am
Suspended

Just back from a few days watching the cricket.
I'd recommend Pisces in the Gap for excellent fish and a view out to sea but be aware that they partake in the unsavoury practice of adding a service charge to your bill AND leaving the tip line open.
Most of the rest of the Gap is tattooed tourist tat these days.

If you're up on the west coast I'd recommend The Lone Star for old favourites.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5821508.ece

The Surfside is a pretty good beach bar for basic food as well.

There's also a poster on here whose written a pretty good definitive guide to Barbados whose name escapes me but I'm sure someone out there knows.She'll very kindly email it to you.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Pisces was a favourite of ours the last time we went. But disappointed to hear that there is not a lot else. We only went into the Gap a couple of times and just thought that perhaps we had missed on an area of great restaurants nearby.
We'll have a look at Lone Star- hopefully Michael Winner won't be there though!
Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Lois Swanson's Barbados Tips
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

thanks Jeeves
Have read her tips in the past
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:14 am

Ok Fiona,

Thanks for your patience and hopefuly it will be rewarded with my response.

Just got back from a hectic two week biz trip in Barbados but I did find time to explore some of the restaurants on the west coast and in the Gap.

Holetown/St. James Area

Second Street, Holetown - I just love this place, the GAP on the west coast. One of the best places to hang out and just enjoy the night. Oh did I mention that Second Street is home to six restaurants. depending on your tastes I am sure you will find one you love.
The Mews
Olives
Sitar
Spago
Elbow Room
Lexy Piano Bar

Lone Star restaurant continues to be a favourite of mine - www.thelonestar.com

The Tides - as the name suggests, this restaurant is located right on the water and was awarded restaurant of the year 2006 and top 3 in the island by Zagat. It is indeed a must do dining experience - www.tidesbarbados.com

Sassafras - if you prefer a taste from the East, try this restaurant - www.sassafras246.com

My crown jewel is a relatively new restaurant - Cariba. You must visit. The service is fantastic, the food fabulous, the price, just right. I stumbled upon this restaurant by accident and now it is at the top of my to do list when in Barbados. I trust you will love it as much as I do. - 246 432 8737

The GAP

I don't normally visit the Gap to eat - it's more about partying and drinking out there. Nonetheless when I do eat.

Top of the list in the Gap is The Restaurant at South Sea. Consistently rated as one of teh best in Barbados, I think you will love this restaurant. A bit on the formal side for St. Lawrence Gap - www.therestaurantatsouthsea.com

Pisces is still a top notch restaurant worth trying - www.piscesbarbados.com

Josef's and Kampai at Josef's are also worth checking out - www.josefsinbarbados.com

My favourite by far is Jumbie's Restaurant and Bar, not for the food but for the overall vibe. Very lively, great crowd, an ideal hang out - www.jumbiesbarbados.com

Hope you find this most useful.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I like Champers in the Rockley Beach area about 200 m south of the Accra Beach Hotel.
--
13F
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I am so pleased to hear that Holetown is as I hoped it would be And now I can stop worrying about the Gap as I was beginning to think that I should have booked more days in Holetown. Thanks for all that. It will be printed off.

Never thought about Rockley- we have stayed there before so it might be worth a visit.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:41 pm

Rockley provides some great options. Ditto to Champers it is one of my all time favs. I always know what I am going to get and it is always great.

Another great choice is Aqua - I may be wrong but I think they took over the old Champers building and have lived up to my expections.

Opa is another great option in Rockley is you love Greek and Med cuisine

My favourite for Eastern cuisine is Apsara - www.apsarabarbados.com

Finally for a great place to just hang out, try Bert's - www.bertsbarbados.com (especially during Hockey season - even though I don't know a thing about the sport, the atmosphere is out of thsi world when Ottawa Senators are playing)

By now you may be thinking that all I do in Barbados is it and drink LOL. You are close, but I did live there for almost 2 years and make atleast 5 trips to Barbados each year. I do hope you enjoy the options presented and hope you get your opinion after your trip.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A choice we like north of Speightstown is the Fishpot.
Southeast coast features Zen at The Crane Resort(Asian)
Cafe Luna is a rooftop restaurant at Little Arches just south of Oistins.
Great sunset view, Saturday lobster or Thursday sushi is always delicious.

Found a nice Italian deli just south of 39 steps(which we found very nice with live Friday evening 2 person band^
Mama Mia has fresh salad, made in front of you,and quite affordable.Marshmellow and hot chocolate fountain for dessert
Located just south of the Garrison.

Many very good restaurants on island.^
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:46 am
Original Poster

thanks to both of you.
I will definitely post after my holiday^
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Right in The Gap there is a little stand with these ladies that make hamburgers and chicken. It is a little tent on the sidewalk. Yes, its street food but it was honestly the BEST hamburger I have EVER had! Make sure to put a nice helping of the Delish Hot Pepper sauce (the yellow kind) on your burger or grilled chicken. Ask for some of the green Delish Bajan seasoning as well for the chicken. Honestly...amazing.

There is also an Irish place in the Gap (can't remember the name)...good food as well.

Also try Chefette's rotis. Chefette's is a fast food chain on the island.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
There is also an Irish place in the Gap (can't remember the name)...good food as well.
You're thinking of Mc Bride's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.