Wiki Posts
Search

Liat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue-US Air Dividned Miles-American Airines Advantage
Arrow Liat

Question about Liat airlines. The question is: I have heard that 60% of Liat's flights get cancelled. I certainly hope that is a fabrication. However, let's say that is true. Do they put you on another airline at their expense? Aren't airlines supposed to do that? For example, if my flight from SJU to POS gets cancelled, will they put us on American Eagle? They should.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 3:39 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Don't think that it is fair to state that 60% get cancelled rather I would claim that about 60% are delayed.

To answer your question I haven't seen any consitency with regards to how passengers are treated when a flight is cancelled. I experienced it once and was able to get on a Caribbean Star flight at Liat's expense but I have heard stories where persons were turned away after the flight was cancelled.

That being said they do put passengers up at local hotel until the flight is available next day, but again consistency of application is questionable.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Originally Posted by jamesdalphonse
Do they put you on another airline at their expense? Aren't airlines supposed to do that? For example, if my flight from SJU to POS gets cancelled, will they put us on American Eagle? They should.
I don't think airlines are "supposed" to reaccomodate you on another airline... the should however, make an effort to put you on the next available flight (and put you up if delayed overnight)... if they put you on the AA Eagle flight from SJU to POS then count yourself lucky that there was space available and the Liat agent was in a good mood.

That said - the delays aren't as bad as 60%. Liat is just wrapping up the acquisition of Caribbean Star so hopefully that means more capacity and buffer and hence less delays/cancellations.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:31 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Bottom line, you need to get a copy of their Contract of Carriage to find out exactly what your rights are in case of a canceled or delayed flight. Unlike, US airlines, which used to be governed by Rules 240 and 80 (but no longer are) and usually still offer similar protections, these rules never applied to non-US airlines. YMMV!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720399
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:46 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
it has been awhile since I've flown Liat, are the flight attendants still spraying that funky smelling spray down the center of the plane pre-take off ?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
The acquisition of Caribbean Star by Liat is causing additional problems for regional travellers is Liat is under pressure to accomodate the volume of travel that was once spread between two carriers. While the acquisition has seen Liat grow, an increase in fleet size of 5 planes can hardly offset the increased customer base. As a result we have started to see lots of overbooking and delays.

To Sweet Willie, they still spray that insecticide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.