Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Where to go to escape Chicago winter, please? Turks & Caicos maybe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

My girlfriend and I live in Chicago, and to escape the harsh winter, would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean in January or February.

We don't need a lot of activities. Just a clean uncrowded beach with beautiful trees, surroundings and crystal clear water. It has to be safe, too.

I did a little research, and Turks and Caicos looks very promising. Have any FTers been there, and if so, can you suggest anywhere in particular to stay?

Alternatively, we're open to suggestions for other destinations.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Aruba is beautiful, you should think about going there. If you go I recommend the Marriott or the Hyatt. (Hyatt would be my first choice.)
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:04 pm

Nigel

I would highly recommend Turks and Caicos based on what you are looking for. Grace Bay beach is awesome. Perfect sand, clear water. There are a few snorkeling spots right off the beach depending on where you are staying. Check out tripadvisor, they have a decent forum there where you can get site-specific info. I found it useful for researching staying there. The hotel really depends on what you want. They have a Club Med and a Beaches resort which have the all inclusive thing. They have some smaller hotels that are quieter. To my knowledge there are not any other chain hotels there. We have stayed at Beaches twice now, both with and without kids. It's pricey, but the all-inclusive aspect is really nice. Eat when and where you want, etc. Snorkeling and I think even diving is included as well as kayaks, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Nigel

Turks & Caicos can make a great getaway. It certainly meets your criteria of crystal clear water and safety. Two caveats: Grace Bay is not nearly as uncrowded as it used to be, especially in high season. Depending on what you mean when you say you want an uncrowded beach, it may be too crowded.

Also, water temperature in January might not be as warm as you'd expect. Obviously, the further south you go the warmer the water gets.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Turks & Caicos is just beautiful. Aruba is very commercialized and not nearly as pretty.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Grace Bay fits the bill for a clean, quiet beach. Providenciales is much closer to the US mainland as well = much shorter flights.
--
13F
Old Oct 17, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Consider St. John, USVI. About two-thirds of the island is a national park, guaranteeing unspoiled natural beauty. Several of its beaches often appear on top 10 lists.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donlind
Consider St. John, USVI. About two-thirds of the island is a national park, guaranteeing unspoiled natural beauty. Several of its beaches often appear on top 10 lists.
Wow, just looked up St John's - it's very nice!

What's the best way to get there, since it doesn't have an airport? Is it best to fly ORD-STT (1-stopover) or ORD-SJU (nonstop flight), then take a ferry?

Also, donlind, can you suggest any accommodations on St John's?

Last edited by nigelloring; Oct 17, 2007 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:39 am

Fly to St Thomas (STT) and then take the very convenient ferry to St John. There is no ferry from SJU, just more connecting flights to STT.

I agree with donlind, St John meets your specifications perfectly.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:57 pm

I'm borrowing this topic with a similar question. My boyfriend & I have never been to the caribbean (closest is that he's been to Bermuda once). We're trying to plan a long weekend get away in February-ish (late Jan & early March are fine) for the two of us. Our budget is about $2000 for airfare & everything. All we really want to due is sit around on a beach & maybe swim some laps in a pool.

Our one small problem is that he's stationed in Norfolk (he's military) & I'm in NYC, so we are thinking of just flying separately & meeting somewhere. St Thomas or St Johns are at the top of the list at the moment, but I don't know how realistic it will be to find a place to stay on 2 months notice, it seems a little short notice to me.

I'll take any recommendations on places to stay that anyone wants to offer.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by wck4
I'm borrowing this topic with a similar question. My boyfriend & I have never been to the caribbean (closest is that he's been to Bermuda once). We're trying to plan a long weekend get away in February-ish (late Jan & early March are fine) for the two of us. Our budget is about $2000 for airfare & everything. All we really want to due is sit around on a beach & maybe swim some laps in a pool.

Our one small problem is that he's stationed in Norfolk (he's military) & I'm in NYC, so we are thinking of just flying separately & meeting somewhere. St Thomas or St Johns are at the top of the list at the moment, but I don't know how realistic it will be to find a place to stay on 2 months notice, it seems a little short notice to me.

I'll take any recommendations on places to stay that anyone wants to offer.
You're not going to have any problem finding a place to stay. (It's not like you're looking for a villa on St Barths for New Year's Eve )

Many places will be booked for Presidents' Day weekend in February, but apart from that, since you don't have your heart set on a particular property, you will have many resorts to choose from during your desired time period.

St Thomas has a lot of beach resorts, and I'd suggest visiting an omnibus site such as www.aavacations.com or www.cheapcaribbean.com. These will let you compare the various prices and features for each resort and in many cases you will also find an online availability calendar.

St John has several high-end places, and lots of camping. It's much harder to find a good mid-price place in St John than on St Thomas, so--unless camping appeals--to avoid busting your budget you may want to stay on St Thomas and take the very easy day trip to St John.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.