Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bermuda - Lodging recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bermuda - Lodging recommendations?

OK, just booked 4 tix on the UA 20,000 mile offer for summer travel to Bermuda.

Now...need to figure out the hotel. Didn't take me long to realize there are no Hiltons, Starwoods, or Marriotts.

So - two questions:

(1) Are there any hotels in Bermuda through which I might attain an award through any major program? I'm thinking via a conversion of some sorts - using AA or UA miles or other hotel points.

(2) If I don't go the award route, I think we might look at cottages or a house rental. I saw the Bermudarentals.com link in a prior thread and already sent them a request for information. Any other ideas?

Finally...am I correct in that neither Hertz nor National rent at BDA?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I've always been curious if Bermuda is in any way do-able on a budget.

About half what I know about it is from the book and movie "The Deep."
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by RustyC

Of course it's do-able. Just go away for the weekend and stay at a place like Clairfont Apartments (140 per night) instead of something like the Pompano Beach Club.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RustyC
Well, four 20,000-mile award tix (plus $53 each in taxes) is a pretty good start!!

I am seeing availability on 1- and 2-bedroom apartments under $200/nt. We're only staying four nights. So yes, I think it's do-able, I'm just looking for insights from FT'ers who have actually been there. I'm not even sure what part of the island we should be looking to stay on - or if it matters a whole lot.

Total party might end up as high as 4 adults and 2 kids. Goals are basic sightseeing, the beach, and good food/wine. (We might do an "adults only" meal or two if necessary.) Pretty laid-back vacation with few requirements beyond chilling out and seeing a new island.

We'll Netflix it before we go.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Many threads, like this one below, if you were to do a search here on Bermuda:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299656

Especially in this forum, called The Caribbean.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=474
Also, I would check out tripadvisor.com.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: AP, AM
No Car Rental

When we visited BDA five years ago there were no car rentals available on the island. The bus system was very good. We found the lodging was affordable - I 'll try to dig up the name of the rental unit. Restaurants were generally the poorest value of any of the islands we have visited. Overpriced realtive to quality.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkramt1
Many threads, like this one below, if you were to do a search here on Bermuda:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299656

Especially in this forum, called The Caribbean.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=474
Also, I would check out tripadvisor.com.
Cool - thanks for the links to the other forums. I will follow-up on some of those...sort of an old thread, but probably not a big deal.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:08 am

I live in Bermuda and I can say that Bermuda is just ....ing expensive. There is really no way to have a budget holiday here.

Hotel Rooms start at like $200 dollars, but usually go up to $500 for hotels that are not even special. You might have a great ocean view, but the amenities and service are nothing special. I stayed in the Coco Reef Resort (there are very different rates available all over the net) which is a quite old building, however, a great location with beach and a nice play to stay. It is also close to town and the many other beaches.

There are still no rental cars allowed on the island, you can only get a rental scooter which is still pretty expensive ($50 a day, but getting less the more days you rent it for) and some kind of dangerous as in case you have an accident, you will most likely get hurt. (No protection but your clothes) Many bermudians drive them though (because they have to, there is only 1 car allowed per household) and many drive like maniacs. But if you go 35 kmh which is the limit you are safe. Most people ignore it though.

Bermuda is a very very nice island with lots of places to discover, I certainly recommend renting a scooter because you can get to the many remote places and beaches. There are many private beaches, you just have to find them. Its actually quite fun to just drive around on the scooter for a day.

Fastfood and regular dining is very expensive in Bermuda. A cheese burger costs $4/$5 at a place similar to Mc Donalds. Gas is very expensive with $1.70 per liter. A sixpack of Heineken costs $10. A bottle of Bacardi $22, a can of soda $1.25

You should rent a little boat to get to the many remote islands and beaches. Make sure you choose a calm day for that because the boats you can rent are some kind of small and crappy but they do their job.

Another fun thing to do is rent a jet ski. I dont have to say its expensive.

Remember bermuda is the richest country in the world!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Wireless. I'm told that there is a bus system that's pretty good. When you say "close to town", are you referring to Hamilton? Is that pretty much the only town of size there? (What about St. Georges?)

I get that Bermuda isn't cheap, but those prices don't sound totally nutty. Heck, a sixer of most European beers at the liquor store near my house is $8-9. For accommodations, amenities and services aren't a huge deal on this particular trip - the prices themselves aren't out of whack with other beach destinations, it's the lack of any "big 3" properties that throws a bit of a wrinkle in things.

That said, in some sort of strange way, I'm looking forward to a B&B, apartment, or something else totally non-chain for a few days. I appreciate the fact that Bermuda has at least somewhat limited these megaresort developments. (Although I know there are/were rumors about a new HGVC a while back.)
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
My in-laws are Bermudian so I spend a fair amount of time there. There is really not any sticker shock coming from NYC. When we like to get away from the family and have a bit of us time :-) we stay at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. It's location is perfect for us...but we are not doing really anything touristy while on the island -- though it is within an easy walk to Front Street.

I believe that with AMEX you can redeem points for vouchers at the Fairmont chain (35k-65k points/night). The Southampton Princess (Fairmont) is more resort-like with golf, spa, etc. There is a free ferry that runs between the two Princess'. If you can snag a Fairmont Gold room (concierge-level) it is nice because the private lounge offers food presentations throughout the day which can come in handy for breakfast and snacking.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
My favorite place to stay is a small hotel named The Reefs (www.thereefs.com)

Although the rates are quite steep, they do include breakfast, dinner, and afternoon tea. The meals are gourmet.

There used to be a hotel in the vicinity named Ariel Sands. If it is still in business, the rates should be quite a bit lower, although it is not as nice of course.
Another option is the Elbow Beach Hotel if you prefer private bungalows.

These are located on the southeastern shore. I prefer it over places located closer to Hamilton as the beaches are best in the south.

As mentioned, the public bus system is excellent. I myself prefer renting a moped for the added freedom to get around. Plus riding is fun for me.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:44 am
Original Poster

OK, let me shift gears for a moment. I figure no point in starting a 2nd thread since some very knowledgeable people have found this one.

If we were to have one meal in Bermuda - just my wife and I - where cost or dress code is not an issue, where would it be? I'm willing to spend some Grade-A coin on a world-class gourmet meal - if there is one to be had in Bermuda.

A lot of beach destinations have decidedly lame, overrated, not-very-good restaurants, but I suspect that Bermuda might be different.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, let me shift gears for a moment. I figure no point in starting a 2nd thread since some very knowledgeable people have found this one.

If we were to have one meal in Bermuda - just my wife and I - where cost or dress code is not an issue, where would it be? I'm willing to spend some Grade-A coin on a world-class gourmet meal - if there is one to be had in Bermuda.

I spent a lot of time in Bremuda in the 90s. At that time, a friend was the head chef & this place was "the" place to dine.
http://www.tommoores.com/

I have no idea if it has held up under the new chef.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 3:22 pm

Local report on Bermuda

Originally Posted by pinniped

I consulted my Bermudian relations, and the word for that one meal is now BLUE. Blue is tres expensive. Its at the Belmont Golf Club and has a fantastic sunset view. Defnitely recommended for romance (and this comes from a randy, romantic bugger, who would know!).

For a casual Italian dinner con famillia, either La Trattoria or Portofinos would be good. They are affordable by Bermuda standards, and reliably decent.

The word locally is that Dennis' Hideaway is way past its prime, and not recommended anymore. YMMV

Pinniped earlier asked about hotels.
Grape Bay hotel is not bad and a bit cheaper than the Fairmont Southampton - it has a pool and a great beach with an alright restaurant- 5 minutes from town.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duckman
Grape Bay hotel is not bad and a bit cheaper than the Fairmont Southampton - it has a pool and a great beach with an alright restaurant- 5 minutes from town.
I'm seeing good rates for Grape Bay: is it pretty nice? (Not "Fairmont nice" of course, but clean with decent-sized rooms?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.