Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi ride from MBJ to Ocho rios?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Taxi ride from MBJ to Ocho rios?

Hey, just booked a trip from MBJ (Montego Bay Jamaica), but the hotel is in Ocho Rios. How much is the taxi ride over? i heard that it might take 2 hours!@$!@#? Would it be cheaper for me to rent a car? (around $120 two days)

thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by typeraccord
Hey, just booked a trip from MBJ (Montego Bay Jamaica), but the hotel is in Ocho Rios. How much is the taxi ride over? i heard that it might take 2 hours!@$!@#? Would it be cheaper for me to rent a car? (around $120 two days)

thanks!
It might be cheaper going with the rental car BUT the roads from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios are under construction the existing roads by US standards are not fantastic and driving is on the left added to that Jamaica drivers will put those crazy Italians to shame.

If you are in for some adventure plus the ability to stop ( after dodging some animals on the road ) and admire the scenery go for the rental car.

Alternately ask your hotel if they have a bus picking up other guests at MBJ and see if you can get on it.

mike
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
I have no personal experience with a taxi in Jamaica, but I would be reluctant to use one off the street. We have used the transfer service from Island Car Rentals about 4 times, and get you get a clean, private car and driver. They are in the MBJ airport, and you can reserve via their website. Not sure about cost. I know it is $55USD from MBJ to Grand Lido Braco, which is more than 1/2 the way to Ocho Rios.

Look into a flight as well, as I believe that Tim Air or one of the other small operators will fly from MBJ to Ocho Rios in a C-182 or similar. It's been a few years, and all of my flights were MBJ-Negril--but it is a thought to consider.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
I have no personal experience with a taxi in Jamaica, but I would be reluctant to use one off the street. We have used the transfer service from Island Car Rentals about 4 times, and get you get a clean, private car and driver. They are in the MBJ airport, and you can reserve via their website. Not sure about cost. I know it is $55USD from MBJ to Grand Lido Braco, which is more than 1/2 the way to Ocho Rios.

Look into a flight as well, as I believe that Tim Air or one of the other small operators will fly from MBJ to Ocho Rios in a C-182 or similar. It's been a few years, and all of my flights were MBJ-Negril--but it is a thought to consider.
There are no airports in Ocho Rios the nearest one is at Boscobel which about 15 miles west of Ocho Rios.

mike
Old Feb 8, 2007, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
There are no airports in Ocho Rios the nearest one is at Boscobel which about 15 miles west of Ocho Rios.

mike
If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure it's only a handful of miles from Boscobel to Ocho Rios. We flew TimAir on our last trip. It is SO worth the small expense. I was taking pictures the whole way. Bring earplugs if you go.^

As far as driving from MBJ to Ochi.....no way in hell would I attempt that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.