Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barbados: car necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any new info on car rentals?

Will be in Barbados after Christmas and again In February,2009.Will rent for a week on each visit,although staying longer.

I ask as many rates are going down all over.Not sure if Barbados is following the trend.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bump???
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
An alternative answer to the original question: no, you don't need a car. Barbados has a great system of busses, both public and private, including route taxis. Cheap, reliable, and fun.

Anything except for the big busses are not for the faint of heart though, they are local transportation. Completely effective and cheap, but sometimes you find yourself practically on someone's lap.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:29 am

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
I have fond memories of the bus system! Some of the smaller ones (size of a Suzuki Carry) zip around music blaring like a bass bin on wheels . A lot of fun, better than a car, but the likelihood that you'll end up on someone's lap riding on one of those is high.

Provided you're happy to sample the real tase of Barbados whilst not being too aren't fussed about how you do it, the bass bins on wheels are a great way to see the island.

Bon courage

Sim
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
I've only been to Barbados a couple of times for work 12-13 years ago. My favorite island though. The people are friendly and all the children seem so bright and full of energy. Too bad my work doesn't seem to be taking me back.
A few months ago I started a post looking for a few odd items from the island. This area of the forum seems to be more active so I'll try again.
During the past year I completely restored an old British car (a '67 Mini Moke) that had spent it's first years in Barbados.
If anyone happens to come across some old tourist literature or maps from the late 60's to early 80's let me know. I would gladly reimburse any costs involved. I just think it would be a nice touch when the car is on display at a show...
I think the board has a private message feature or you could just post back to this thread.
Thanks in advance for any help.
zippy
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by zippypinhead
I've only been to Barbados a couple of times for work 12-13 years ago. My favorite island though. The people are friendly and all the children seem so bright and full of energy. Too bad my work doesn't seem to be taking me back.
A few months ago I started a post looking for a few odd items from the island. This area of the forum seems to be more active so I'll try again.
During the past year I completely restored an old British car (a '67 Mini Moke) that had spent it's first years in Barbados.
If anyone happens to come across some old tourist literature or maps from the late 60's to early 80's let me know. I would gladly reimburse any costs involved. I just think it would be a nice touch when the car is on display at a show...
I think the board has a private message feature or you could just post back to this thread.
Thanks in advance for any help.
zippy
if you don't get any takers (i haven't been there yet, so can't help either) a search on ebay might work--just search 'barbados.' i came up with some old post cards and other stuff...over 800 items, some obviously useless to you, but you might find something there.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Bumping this thread....

Going to BGI for 10 days in May (not sure where I am staying yet).... Do I need to:
  • Rent a car for a few of the days?
  • Rent a car for the whole trip?
  • Not rent a car at all?

Also, would any of the above answers depend on where I stay?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Bumping this thread....

Going to BGI for 10 days in May (not sure where I am staying yet).... Do I need to:
  • Rent a car for a few of the days?
  • Rent a car for the whole trip?
  • Not rent a car at all?

Also, would any of the above answers depend on where I stay?
Yes, if you're on the East or South coasts you'll probably need transport.
But if you're in a West Coast resort I'm not sure there's a real need.
Let's say you hit the beach for the first few days to relax so a car isn't necessary.
Then you start wanting to explore around you. Use public transport,taxis and the reggae buses - they're great fun and it means you can have a few drinks without worry about driving.
However, I would hire a car for a couple of days to go around the island - it's well worth doing and the perfect antidote to the beach.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:58 pm

jhayes_1780 it depends on where you're staying and with whom your travelling. Unless you're staying somewhere very remote, or you're travelling with young kids, I'd agree with Showbizguru. Have one for a couple of days to explore the remote bits. The rest of time you can get around (should you want to) on the buses. Car hire isn't cheap in Barbados.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.