Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barbados: car necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I love Barbados! It is such a peaceful island. I fell in love with the people. They are very friendly and kind. I wen to dinner at a local's moms house after we went to church on Sunday. What a spread her mom put on. We wanted to do something for her, but her daughter told us to pick up some fruits and veggies. They asked for nothing in return. I will never forget that kindness.

Do see the windy north shore. I took an around island tour and it was beautiful. Are you staying on the Gold coast? I hope you really enjoy yourself.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
In keeping with the previous post, one further recommendation: Get out and interact with the Bajan people. They are kind, gracious and delightful.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:36 am

We are going to Barbados in March. Cheapest car I can find (Mini moke) at Stoutes is $330 for 5 days. This seems expensive-any other ideas?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by marlin
We are going to Barbados in March. Cheapest car I can find (Mini moke) at Stoutes is $330 for 5 days. This seems expensive-any other ideas?
www.abc-carhire.com has rates slightly lower. Barbados car rentals are expensive.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:54 pm

Thank you Zacary. Are they reputable and have you used them?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Marlin you may also want to take a look at Executive Rentals http://www.executiverentalsbarbados.com/ I have used them in the past and really enjoy doing business with them and although rentals in Barbados are quite expensive I do enjoy doing business with them.

Just got Back from Barbados today (2 week business trip) and my company used West End Car Rentals. Trip finding their site but no luck. Their vehicle are very well maintain and the service was excellent. Feel free to give them a call 246 429-8963 or fax 246 436-8305

Enjoy.

PS note that rental prices (like every other tourist related service) will increase dramatically during the months of March and April due to the Cricket World Cup. Just thought it would be useful to mention.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 3:38 pm

Thank you very much for this. ABC will not deliver any cars to the airport in March due to the Cricket. They only deliver to the hotel. I will definitely check out the other companies. It seems odd to me that no one has an airport location and that they need to "deliver".
Old Jan 27, 2007, 4:34 pm

http://www.courtesyrentacar.com/ This is the only rental company with a location at the airport and by Barbados rates they are competitive. Used them once for 2 days so can't really comment on their service as it relates to exceptional circumstances (locking keys in car at 3:00 am and need to get in touch with someone ). I think they are worth looking into.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cactuspete
In keeping with the previous post, one further recommendation: Get out and interact with the Bajan people. They are kind, gracious and delightful.

Bingo^

Agree with the Silver moon as well.The smaller 12 person catamaran is better as not as crowded.(there are 2)Best boat for swim with turtles,IMO.
Try the ice cream at Chefette Rum and Raisin.
Car rental from Stouttes can be returned at airport.Just leave your keys with airline check-in counter personnel.
Miami,also known as Enterprise Beach ,is quiet and one of the best.
Little Arches,IMHO,has great sushi nights on Thursday.Moo,the chef,is a character worth meeting.
The island has been giving tours of the great houses of Barbados.On Wednesdays,I believe,and is inexpensive and quite entertaining.
Street vendors at St.Lawrence Gap have great jerk chicken.Mmm
Crane Beach,great beach for soft sand

Does anyone know if the Concord is open yet to visitors?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by marlin
Thank you Zacary. Are they reputable and have you used them?
I have not used them. They were sold out for my dates.

Here's another one: www.barbadoscars.com. I'll let you know if they're any good in a couple of weeks. They do offer airport pickup and dropoff.

Last edited by zachary; Jan 30, 2007 at 4:45 pm
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought I should add that I will be travelling to BGI from Feb.24th to March 10th

I have probably been to Barbados 15 times to date,and planning at least yearly visits.If I can help with questions,fire away.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
IHere's another one: www.barbadoscars.com. I'll let you know if they're any good in a couple of weeks. They do offer airport pickup and dropoff.
Just returned from a trip where I used this company. Excellent service at the airport in terms of pickup and dropoff. Car was relatively new and in decent condition. They charged the exact price they had quoted. No problems at all.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I just returned from Barbados. I rented from Stoutes and was very happy. We were greeted at the airport with a sign with our name and in a car quickly. On return, we just locked they keys in the car at the airport carpark.
I paid about $325. USD for the week.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I just returned from Barbados. I rented from Stoutes and was very happy. We were greeted at the airport with a sign with our name and in a car quickly. On return, we just locked they keys in the car at the airport carpark.
Will you be posting a trip report anytime soon? Would love to hear more about your Bajan experience
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schutzee
Many if not most car hires in Barbados will do what you experienced.
Still here until Saturday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.