Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Grand Cayman Recommendations

Finally - got my flight booked correctly...

First I was supposed to go to Jaimaca, then to Dominican Republic, finally settled on Grand Cayman...

Now need help in this issue....Staying at the Grand Cayman Marriot...so no help on the hotel....need some help on food....

I like flavorful food that is spicy...any restaurant that is serving fresh fish would be good...also any restaurant on the beach that offers grilled fish would be even better....

Things to do:

1) Turtle Farm
2) Stingray City
3) Snorkelling for sure...

Anything else....you guys recommend?

Also, where can you eat turtle? I know that the farms are breeding turtles for consumption purposes...so is it available in all the restaurants?

Last edited by anaggie; Nov 16, 2006 at 10:14 pm
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:10 am
Original Poster

32 views and not ONE SINGLE recommendation
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
I just saw this I think Stingray City is overrated. To many people from the cruises go over there not that much to see. I have done it before I would not do it again. There are lots of places to do snorkelling. If the weather is bad then you can't go to Stingray City. Lots of little place to scuba dive also. I think you can also do helment dives in the Caymans but I am not sure.

I enjoyed walking in to different places to eat away from the cruises and checking out all the different foods. There is so much variety is Cayman Islands.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

thanks....I hear they use the "Scotch Bonnet" to cook with... I can't wait
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Try to visit Stingray City on a day when no cruise ships are in the harbor. I went there on a Sunday when no ships were in town, and it was very low key.

For a good seafood experience, try the Reef Grill at the Royal Palms. It's walking Distance from the Marriot, with great ocean views.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:00 pm

Turtle meat is readily available at many restaurants around the island. I don't think you'll have any problems finding it on menus.

I enjoyed Stingray City. It's a fun experience and one you will remember for a long time.

Just a word of warning....the Marriott on Grand Cayman has a relatively small beach, and is not a full blown mega-resort. Personally, I liked it and would stay there again but many on the Marriott forum have expressed their disappointment with this hotel. The hotel received a LOT of damage from Hurricane Ivan (as did the entire island, some damage is still evident as you drive around) so the good news for you is that hotel interior areas, bedding, etc. should all be nice and new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.