Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Turks & Caicos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Trip to Turks & Caicos

I just got back from a vacation to the islands of Turks & Caicos in the Caribbean, just south of the Bahamas.

Besides for luggage problems with AA, it is a great place to go and relax. Providenciales, the main islands, has some wonderful hotel/resorts and offers beautiful beaches and clear waters.
I went diving off of the Turks & Caicos Explorer II. If you have any quetions about that I'll be happy to send you my trip report.

Travel from LAX was pretty easy - via JFK. The other option was via MIA but given the weather problems 2 weeks ago, I thought it safer to go the JFK route even if it added a little time on to the trip.

- Alexandra
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:44 am

snorkel

Hi,

I am glad you had a wonderful vacation. My GF and I just got back form aruba, also had a wonderful time. During our stay, we snorkeled a lot off the beaches and saw a lot of fishes. Do you think we can do the same at Turks&Caicos? Any hotel/resort you recommend?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:34 pm

Turks and Caicos has a couple great snorkeling sites right of the beach. There are several outfits that take you out too. The Beaches resort ( a Sandals resort for families) has 3 or 4 free trips a day out on the reef, and a nice off beach site is a 10 minute walk down the beach.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by dasalomon
I just got back from a vacation to the islands of Turks & Caicos in the Caribbean, just south of the Bahamas.

Besides for luggage problems with AA, it is a great place to go and relax. Providenciales, the main islands, has some wonderful hotel/resorts and offers beautiful beaches and clear waters.
I went diving off of the Turks & Caicos Explorer II. If you have any quetions about that I'll be happy to send you my trip report.

Travel from LAX was pretty easy - via JFK. The other option was via MIA but given the weather problems 2 weeks ago, I thought it safer to go the JFK route even if it added a little time on to the trip.

- Alexandra
Anything else you can offer for a not-so-intrepid traveler? I'm probably going to take my wife and daughter to Beaches this winter, but I don't know anything about this island, how safe it is, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Anything else you can offer for a not-so-intrepid traveler? I'm probably going to take my wife and daughter to Beaches this winter, but I don't know anything about this island, how safe it is, etc.
Jakebeth,

I don't have a lot of experience in the Caribbean other than Turks and Caicos, but a few years ago I would have classified it as a poor island. There has been tremendous development since 2001 though and I saw some significant changes. I think it is safe. If you stay at Beaches you will have a "shuttle" from the airport to the hotel if desired. This is usually a taxi contracted to the resort. Taxi's there are typically vans. You will really have everything you need at the resort. There are a few shops not too far away and cabs are not that expensive. There is a shuttle service "Gecko" on the main road. There really isn't much else to see though. There is a little bit of shopping, and a few restaurants. The food at the resort was decent. They have a place that has burgers/fries/chicken nuggets etc more appropriate for kids. If you have any questions, PM me.

One thing to watch out for is the phone rates. I had a problem with accessing ATT through the hotel which turned out to be an extra 200 dollars. Never did get it resolved, but for the most part was pleased with the customer service. And make sure to sign up for their signature guest program. Will save you on your next stay at a Beaches/Sandals resort.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by cme2c
Jakebeth,

I don't have a lot of experience in the Caribbean other than Turks and Caicos, but a few years ago I would have classified it as a poor island. There has been tremendous development since 2001 though and I saw some significant changes. I think it is safe. If you stay at Beaches you will have a "shuttle" from the airport to the hotel if desired. This is usually a taxi contracted to the resort. Taxi's there are typically vans. You will really have everything you need at the resort. There are a few shops not too far away and cabs are not that expensive. There is a shuttle service "Gecko" on the main road. There really isn't much else to see though. There is a little bit of shopping, and a few restaurants. The food at the resort was decent. They have a place that has burgers/fries/chicken nuggets etc more appropriate for kids. If you have any questions, PM me.

One thing to watch out for is the phone rates. I had a problem with accessing ATT through the hotel which turned out to be an extra 200 dollars. Never did get it resolved, but for the most part was pleased with the customer service. And make sure to sign up for their signature guest program. Will save you on your next stay at a Beaches/Sandals resort.
Thanks very much cme2c. I really appreciate it. Is it bad form to ask if you're an optometrist or opthamalogist?

My cousin's favorite handle is cme2p. The funniest coincidence is that he did his residency in Omaha.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Thanks very much cme2c. I really appreciate it. Is it bad form to ask if you're an optometrist or opthamalogist?

My cousin's favorite handle is cme2p. The funniest coincidence is that he did his residency in Omaha.
yes im an ophthalmologist. there was a urologist in lincoln who has that license plate , cme2p.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:29 am

yes im an ophthalmologist. there was a urologist in lincoln who has that license plate , cme2p.
That's fantastic. I bet he knows him/her. Thanks again for your comments.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:38 am

Programs: UA; DL;
Was in T&C in feb with BF and we stayed at one of the smaller resorts on Grace Bay Beach. Royal Resort something or other next to the ClubMed, it was lovely but the name currently escapes me. Only quad-band cell phones will work there.
Its a sleepy place and not much nightlife. We rented a scooter and stocked up on groceries at the one main supermarket and I would definitely classify the island as "poor". Did you get to Malcolm Beach? The roads out there were horrible but the seculsion of the beach was fantastic. There is a lot of development in current stages, locals told us lots of things are started and then they run out of money and it just sits. We dove with Dive Provo—excellent dive outfit.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by dasalomon

- Alexandra
How warm or hot was it this time of year, Alexandra, since it really isn't that far south. What were the temps and water temps? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.