Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Great relatively unknown island in Carribean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great relatively unknown island in Carribean?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:43 am

I don't recall any beaches on Saba.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:27 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Not quite the Caribbean, but Providenciales in the Tuks & Caicos has IMO the nicest beach in the western hemisphere (Grace Bay) and its definitely not crowded yet. There are several nice places to stay there, all set back behind the dune, noe more than for storeys high. I stayed at "The Palms" last time and it was fantastically relaxing. In addition to the spectacular beach, the spa there was heavenly.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:48 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bruingirl
I know everyone goes to Aruba, but there is a reason. Aruba is the perfect place to relax, party, and take a vacation.
Because everyone goes to Aruba that would exclude it from the OP's suggestion list.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Antigua is nice. Virgin Gorda BVI is nicer.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott-Gold. Hilton-Gold
i would say Roatan, Delta and Continental fly there non-stop from the states. Delta starts in March i believe. The water is awesome, the beaches are great and the people are friendly.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saeswank
i would say Roatan, Delta and Continental fly there non-stop from the states. Delta starts in March i believe. The water is awesome, the beaches are great and the people are friendly.

???????????????Did they pave the runway????? when I was there it was a cinder runway. they start dumping daily jetfulls of tourists, and it is gone.

try far bahamas(san salvadore for one), T&C, Caman Braqc, Little camen, most of the british virgins, the far side of st johns, bonnaire(everbody is scuba diving), some of those out islands of beleze.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Expensive, but where else can you have a drink with Mick or David at the local hangout?

Mustique

Jagger and Bowie ................
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Monseratt

Montserratt is a good choice as well..although the airport is still closed..a helicopter can be arranged ex-Antigua for roughy $50 . Volcanic ash is still a problem..but I found the island and residents very helpful and friendly. If you feel like a really nice marina/beach atmosphere..I would suggest Bonaire.

added for links:
http://www.visitmontserrat.com/index...p?categoryid=2

http://www.geographia.com/bonaire/ ^ ^ ^

Last edited by MRKEY; Dec 30, 2005 at 1:18 pm Reason: url
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by MRKEY
Montserratt is a good choice as well..although the airport is still closed..a helicopter can be arranged ex-Antigua for roughy $50 . Volcanic ash is still a problem..but I found the island and residents very helpful and friendly. <snip>
The new airport at Montserrat is definitely open, and WinAir flies there several times a day from ANU and SXM. Agree that the Montserratans are very helpful and friendly. Seeing the former capital of Plymouth buried in ten feet of ash is a fascinating and surreal experience; hearing the stories that people have to tell is unforgettable.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Glad to hear the airport is open (just liked that heliocopter ride.)..
And yes..it's been 2-3 yrs since my last visit..glad things have improved. It's a very cool island...and the stories they tell are breathless. ^
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Regarding Roatan in Honduras:

Originally Posted by slawecki
???????????????Did they pave the runway????? when I was there it was a cinder runway.
Yup, the runway is paved. It's not the plane loads of tourist, though (there is only one flight a week), it's the cruise ships that dock in Coxen Hole, and then bus everyone over to West Bay that's the bigger concern.

Anyway, Roatan is definately a lot quieter than any other place I have been in the Carribean. West End is a good place that is lively enough to provide anything you'd need without being too lively as to be jammed with tourists.

I just wrote up a trip report, if anyone is interested: Roatan, Honduras
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:18 pm

How about Bequia?

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Bequia, an out-island of St Vincent and the Grenadines. It has always been a favorite hidden-gem. I recommend the Frangiapani Hotel at Admiralty Bay.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:51 am

How about Canouan Island? The setting of RAFFLES Resort there is quite amazing.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisw94
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Bequia, an out-island of St Vincent and the Grenadines. It has always been a favorite hidden-gem. I recommend the Frangiapani Hotel at Admiralty Bay.
Oh, I agree, Bequia is a gem! I love it!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
St Croix. doesn't really get a big tourist crowd, minimal nightlife, but you can keep busy or just "lime" at the beach during the day, with good places to eat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.