Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barbados: Favourite Areas and Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by MeNoSay
I was there last year, stayed for 8 days on the beach, ate fish on the beach every day, drank great rum, etc. and the whole trip cost $320 US
Where did you stay MeNoSay, and how would you rate it?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:18 am
MeNoSay

Guesthouse on Sandy Beach. I'd rate it great because all I wanted was a bed, a fan, and a bathroom. There are literally dozens of them all over Barbados, all within the same general price range (25-50US/night).

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone stayed at the Silver Sands or the Amaryllis or the Time Out at the Gap hotels? They appear to be the most affordable on Travelocity, Expedia, etc.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Also, how expensive are taxis from the airport or do hotels offer free shuttles?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:40 pm
MeNoSay

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Also, how expensive are taxis from the airport
Well, it will depend on how far you need to go. It's not a huge island, but it's not tiny either. I think you'll find that, like most places, the expense will be proportionate to distance traveled.

Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ill be going to the Blue Orchids hotel from the airport. Also wondering how far the Hilton is from the airport and from Blue Orchids. Any ballpark numbers would be helpful, do they accept US dollars?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Ill be going to the Blue Orchids hotel from the airport. Also wondering how far the Hilton is from the airport and from Blue Orchids. Any ballpark numbers would be helpful, do they accept US dollars?
The Hilton is nore more than 15-20 minutes from the airport. Taxi is around US$22. US currency is widely accepted.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any forms of public transportation to the Hilton or Blue Orchid?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Are there any forms of public transportation to the Hilton or Blue Orchid?
There are "buses" (read: private mini-vans - also some larger government buses) used primarily by the locals. They go just about everywhere for a buck or two (Barbados currency only), but I'm not certain that they run on any type of schedule.

Last edited by cactuspete; Nov 16, 2006 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope they pass by the airport!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:09 am
MeNoSay

Three kinds of busses in Barbados:

Big blue busses (govt) with yellow stripe that look similar to the kind you'd see in the US or Europe (electronic signboards above the windshield). I think they're airconditioned.

Minibusses (private) are yellow with blue stripe and are much smaller -- large vans.

Route taxis (private) --aka Zed-Rs -- are white with a red stripe. Usually blasting music.

Government busses are comfortable although infrequent.

The latter two will pick you up anywhere alongside a road if you have your arm out. But most Americans and Europeans who aren't college budget travelers DO NOT WANT. Very loud, often crowded, relatively dirty, and confusing. Totally fun if you're in the mood for an adventure, but you might be asked to sit on someone's lap (or vice versa).

When I was there last they were renovating the terminal...busses passed by the airport on the road out front but there was no transit terminal at the airport. That may be changing, I don't know.

Generally, busses are either going to town (bridgetown) or away from town. Aren't many that go between other parts of the island.

I don't know about taking a bus to the Hilton -- almost certainly have to go into town first and then change busses. Might be easier to go into bridgetown and then catch a ride (taxi, etc.) to the Hilton from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.