Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic flights in Dominican Republic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Domestic flights in Dominican Republic

I am booked to fly to Punta Cana in October. Originally I had been planning to stay around that area but my plans have changed and I would like to spend some time up on the north coast around Puerto Plata or maybe Sosua. I have having a real problem trying to figure out how to get there other than renting a car or taking a 5 or 6 hour taxi ride. A couple of websites seem to suggest there are a couple of domestic airlines but I can't find any actual schedules or any way to book. Nothing is showing up on the major OTAs.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Grey Nomad
I am booked to fly to Punta Cana in October. Originally I had been planning to stay around that area but my plans have changed and I would like to spend some time up on the north coast around Puerto Plata or maybe Sosua. I have having a real problem trying to figure out how to get there other than renting a car or taking a 5 or 6 hour taxi ride. A couple of websites seem to suggest there are a couple of domestic airlines but I can't find any actual schedules or any way to book. Nothing is showing up on the major OTAs.
The PUJ Wikipedia entry shows no domestic flights whatsoever. (Whether the Wikipedia entry is up to date, I do not know.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt...tional_Airport
Old Aug 26, 2023, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
The PUJ Wikipedia entry shows no domestic flights whatsoever. (Whether the Wikipedia entry is up to date, I do not know.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt...tional_Airport
Thanks. I haven't found anything promising. www.alternativeairlines.com made a few suggestions but nothing actually bookable. It looks like I might be stuck with renting a car.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:33 am

We regularly fly into PUJ and drive ourselves to Las Terrenas on the Samana peninsula. With a pit stop, it takes 4 hours and 15 minutes. Cabarete/Sousa is further, but follows much the same route. You'll find the roads are good the whole way (stick to the bigger motorways and the toll road), but traffic can be scary at times. If it's your first time driving in the DR, I wouldn't recommend doing so at night. People drive with their high beams on at all times, and motorbikes/pedestrians (of which there are many) can be very difficult to see along the shoulder. You could break up the drive by staying a night in Santo Domingo.
Grey Nomad likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I fly into PUJ at around 5pm on a Saturday. If I decide to rent a car (and I think I almost certainly will) the plan would be to stay the Saturday night somewhere near PUJ and do the drive on the Sunday. I have never driven in DR before, but I have driven in other areas of the Caribbean and Latin America as well as Sri Lanka and parts of Africa.

As regards car rental - I am looking at booking through the British Expedia site which will include collision and theft insurance (1,000 USD excess/deductable) and I also have an Amex Plat. Am I going to get coerced into buying some overpriced local insurance policy that I don’t need as a condition of renting, as often happens in Mexico etc?
Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Grey Nomad
As regards car rental - I am looking at booking through the British Expedia site which will include collision and theft insurance (1,000 USD excess/deductable) and I also have an Amex Plat. Am I going to get coerced into buying some overpriced local insurance policy that I don’t need as a condition of renting, as often happens in Mexico etc?
In short - yes, you will be made to purchase the "super collision damage waiver" or whatever they call it. I've got European Amex and MC and neither covers car rentals in the DR, so read your fine print or better yet, call and get it in writing from Amex if they do. Otherwise, whatever bare-bones rental agreement I find on Expedia or the like, the final price is usually about double that. (That's with the SCDW plus windscreen and tires, and usually an extra driver.)

Great idea to spend the night in PUJ given your late afternoon arrival. The Four Points Sheraton is in a good location. It's fine. Good enough for one night's sleep anyway. Breakfast is also good.
Grey Nomad likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baker421
In short - yes, you will be made to purchase the "super collision damage waiver" or whatever they call it. I've got European Amex and MC and neither covers car rentals in the DR, so read your fine print or better yet, call and get it in writing from Amex if they do. Otherwise, whatever bare-bones rental agreement I find on Expedia or the like, the final price is usually about double that. (That's with the SCDW plus windscreen and tires, and usually an extra driver.)

Great idea to spend the night in PUJ given your late afternoon arrival. The Four Points Sheraton is in a good location. It's fine. Good enough for one night's sleep anyway. Breakfast is also good.
Thanks. I'll call Amex in the morning. The deal I have found on Expedia is with Alamo and includes Third Party Liability and CDW with a $1,000 USD excess/deductable. The quote is £797 GBP for 26 days rental and I'm perfectly ok with the $1,000 deductable.

Do you have any idea how much I am likely to be rinsed for when I get there for the "super" cover (which I don't need or want)?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baker421

Thanks for the info about the Four Points too. I'm booked in for my arrival night.
Baker421 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.