Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for first tropical family vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm in the planning stages for a milestone birthday trip in late September or October, and would like to go somewhere tropical. I'll be travelling with my wife and 4yo daughter. My wife's only requirement is we stay at an all-inclusive resort, and my daughter just wants to swim. My preference would be for a clean, relaxing place with excellent food and drink options. I understand this will be during hurricane season, so I'm looking at places in Mexico and the southern Caribbean as well. We'd like to go for about a week, and will be travelling from the NYC area. I have a good number of CSR and Amex Plat points, but using them for this trip is not a necessity.

I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations, as I have no experience with tropical destinations or all inclusive resorts. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey
I'm in the planning stages for a milestone birthday trip in late September or October, and would like to go somewhere tropical. I'll be travelling with my wife and 4yo daughter. My wife's only requirement is we stay at an all-inclusive resort, and my daughter just wants to swim. My preference would be for a clean, relaxing place with excellent food and drink options. I understand this will be during hurricane season, so I'm looking at places in Mexico and the southern Caribbean as well. We'd like to go for about a week, and will be travelling from the NYC area. I have a good number of CSR and Amex Plat points, but using them for this trip is not a necessity.

I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations, as I have no experience with tropical destinations or all inclusive resorts. Thanks!
1. Find a place with a kid’s club or babysitter for your daughter, a few hours a day.

2. Go for the Caribbean over anything on the Atlantic or Pacific.
InsipidMonkey likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Caribbean higher alert hurricane season is mid-August through beginning October. But weather is always strange. Maybe other direction?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Late September to mid October is Mexico and Caribbean low season, so everything will be cheaper and less crowded.

If you want guaranteed protection from hurricanes, only Aruba and Curacao are completely protected, I believe. Everywhere else you have to consider your plans as tentative....
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I lived in Jamaica as a child, and yes there is a hurricane season as noted above. However, it was more a case of 'wet' rather thank 'windy'! Our last Jamaica visit [of several] was last September, and the weather was fine. BA, Sunshine and Sandals It's the eastern Caribbean that tends to be more vulnerable.

Apart from that, our various visits to Antigua, St. Lucia and Punta Cana have been outside your timescale. But all have been on All-Inclusive terms, and non-buffet!

I can't offer specific recommendations, but we find TripAdvisor a decent tool for filtering options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.