Wiki Posts
Search

San Juan airport re-opening after Maria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG
San Juan airport re-opening after Maria

Just heard on the radio that the airport in San Juan is re-opening today for military and relief flights only. Commercial flights may resume tomorrow.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
It's not a pretty picture, for sure - info is getting out ... bits-n-pieces & of course, colorized by the news network, FWIW.

Airport's ILS/PAPI system for navigational landing were out, weather station's radars knocked out and all these impact on weather advisory systems ... relief flights are permitted to land & takeoff ... these are first hand reports coming from stormcarib.com - site linked here:

On the right side are field updates as posted by observers on the ground, in some cases, relayed via amateur radio stations running on backup/generator power over designated shortwave bands ... with 2 meters & 70 cm repeaters being very quiet, as I would not be surprised if the antennas were taken down before the storm & they are challenged in raising them and/or prioritize in handling SAR and life saving communications first. Links cited within this network to FB sites maintained by locals have FB pages with pics/videos updated.
http://stormcarib.com/

As they said, check with your carrier before heading out to the airport ... pack some MRE's to bring along, I meant ... energy bars, trail mixes/nuts & alike, they might come in very handy.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ErickG
Just heard on the radio that the airport in San Juan is re-opening today for military and relief flights only. Commercial flights may resume tomorrow.
According to this article, 2 commercial flights per airline per day right now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ort/699581001/
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I'm booked on a regular scheduled AA flight on Sunday October 8.

Still not clear what is or isn't open, and I'm looking for information on transportation from the airport. I'm going to the Carolina area and hope for the best.

I'll try to do an update but I suspect it will be after I return to the mainland.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:20 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by Thumper

Still not clear what is or isn't open, and I'm looking for information on transportation from the airport. I'm going to the Carolina area and hope for the best.

I'll try to do an update but I suspect it will be after I return to the mainland.
An update would be very welcome. I am booked on AA on October 31 from MIA to SJU. Currently AA only allows to move to another date, not to cancel the flight unless AA cancels the flight themselves.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by Thumper

I am booked on a cruise from New Jersey to San Juan arriving Oct. 28, would appricate a update form you when you get there.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:51 am

Well, that's great news! Big relief after long time. Thanks for update
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
On another note about SJU, does anyone know if the Priority Plus affiliate lounge in terminal B open?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
On another note about SJU, does anyone know if the Priority Plus affiliate lounge in terminal B open?
It is open, except the elevator does not work, must climb a flight of stairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.